GreaseSpot Cafe

Congressman to be sworn in using Quran

Belle

I realize this should probably go in the Politics section, but, being a rule breaker :redface2: , I'd kind of like to get an "everyman"'s opinion of this before it's banished to the battleground of Politics and Tacks. :biglaugh:

It really highlights the lack of 'separation of church and state', doesn't it? And, what about Muslims being elected to office? Especially after the stuff I found earlier this year on their beliefs regarding 'white man', it's rather unsettling. The entire article can be found here.

WASHINGTON - Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress, will use a Quran once owned by Thomas Jefferson during his ceremonial swearing-in Thursday.

The chief of the Library of Congress' rare book and special collections division, Mark Dimunation, will walk the Quran across the street to the Capitol and then walk it back after the ceremony.

Ellison, D-Minn., contacted the library about the book last month, Dimunation said.

Some critics have argued that only a Bible should be used for the swearing-in. Last month, Virginia Rep. Virgil Goode (news, bio, voting record), R-Va., warned that unless immigration is tightened, "many more Muslims" will be elected and follow Ellison's lead. Ellison was born in Detroit and converted to Islam in college.

Ellison spokesman Rick Jauert said the new congressman "wants this to be a special day, and using Thomas Jefferson's Quran makes it even more special."

"Jefferson's Quran dates religious tolerance to the founders of our country," he added.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I personally couldn't care less whether Ellison is sworn in with his hand on the Bible, the Qu'ran, or on a roll of toilet paper. Whatever. For the vast majority elected officials, the "oath of office" is meaningless, anyway.

Second, I think that, rather than being a statement of his faith, it is him trying to "make a statement." Best cure for him "making a statement" is to ignore it.

I agree with all of you. :)

WW, I think that the Bible has lost its value as a representation of what we were raised to respect. It's just a symbol now and so many so-called "Christian" politicians are anything BUT good examples of Christians, much less decent, law abiding citizens that it's rather silly to even have that as part of the ceremony anymore. Especially since, as Bramble pointed out, there are elected officials who aren't even Christians.

The whole swearing in requiring swearing on anything is rather vacuous and laughable, really. Maybe they should just stand there and recite the age old, "cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye."

So you would rather see that portion of the Constitution that states that no religious test shall be required of those who run for office ... ignored? Was it a mistake made by our founding fathers to put it in there?

I would rather see no Muslims in office either.

I'd rather not have any Christians, Scientologists, Mormans, Hindus, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or any other religious person in office either.

I'd rather have people who can think and act with their own brain, who don't rely on ancient (or current) myths.

Then we might not end up with stuff like this:

God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers

I'd rather see someone from the Church of Elvis holding the lyrics to "You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog" to his heart. :lol:

If the Quaran makes this guy hold up to his integrity, then sobeit. Not all Muslims are terrorists. I don't believe a Muslim would necessarily give avenue to terrorists. To me, a "regular" Muslim is different than the wack jobs who kill themselves for Allah. It's the same as a fundamentalist Christian group in comparision to a "regular" Christian group.

Having worked for several public officials including members of Congress, I can relate from personal experience that members of Congress are not legally sworn into office using a book of any sort. The public ceremony involving the use of a holy book, which takes place after members are legally sworn in, is merely a photo opportunity. The fact that Congressman Ellison chose to use Thomas Jefferson's Quran for his photo opportunity illustrates to me that he has a deep respect for the religious freedom and tolerance that America's founding fathers stood for.

Below are just a few quotes from Jefferson on the topic of religion:

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity."

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear."

"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting 'Jesus Christ,' so that it would read 'A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;' the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination." (This quote is in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom.)

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness..."

I'd echo several of the well-thought out posts, but am most thankful for the thoughtful and reflective post our new compadre William shared.

So, thanks William. I appreciate the quotes from Jefferson.

and btw, my own personal view on this subject probably comes pretty close to how MarkO put it for himself (the part before ignoring the new Congressman's "statement").

That guy's statement is quite benign compared to what the Imam's did last month to get themselves tossed off of a US Airways flight.

And as to whether I'd "be more comfortable" if there were no Muslims in Congress... I'd rather see more of them.

Diversity of thought, or rather TOLERANCE of diversity of thought (and of race, and of gender, and of sexual persuasion) is BETTER for America than homogenized thinking and behavior. And by HOMOGENIZED I do NOT mean making them like HOMOs, and DO mean social mores (unwritten rules) that enforce a lack of tolerance and diversity.

I think so too.

MarkO I agree we should ignore it - we should take it in stride. I agree with Rocky too that he should be welcomed and that there should be more of them. IF we claim that "all men are equal..." put your money where your mouth is - is the only acceptable thing to do. The same thing is true of separation of church and state...not just "churches" but all religious philosophies and practices.

I would hope that someday soon, our Congressmen and -women are a true representation of the population as a whole. Our diversity seems to present problems for some people; but I think that's one of the greatest things about this country.

Most of them are liars and crooks, so why bother having them take an oath anyway?

That being said, I have no problems with him using something that represents his religious beliefs, nor would I if he were Jewish, Christian, Pagan, Hindu, whatever - it makes more sense to use something that is meaningful to the individual being sworn in.

Belle, I would add in regard to your link about what Muslem's believe about "white men" - you can find some very negative and offensive beliefs within sects of any religion. The OT is rife with the killing of those who did not adhere to Judaism, yet I think you would find very few Jews who would propound such acts today. The history of Christianity likewise has some very very dark eras, yet again, I think you would find few Christians who would support such acts today. Note, I said few. There are extremist sects within most religion groups.

Edited by Abigail

Oh heck,

Protect the border, limit immigration like the laws state. This guy is a convert, though.

Actually, in my opinion, Muslims at least stand for something, even if a few are violent and many peaceful. The current Senate and Congress, made up of Christians supposedly like myself, are useless and sell out to money. Many are immoral, personally, spiritually, morally, politically or otherwise. I prefer a good Christian, but what if Muslims come up and set a good example for kids, like no drugs, prostitution and such? And they believe in only ONE GOD.

But, I was asked about this thing on the guy sworn in on the Koran. It's his belief, and had the right to do so. I disagree with it, but it is his religious choice and by law I can't do anything about it. He may turn out okay.

Yes, I still disagree with it. But I recognize his religious exercise. Not all Muslims can be condemned on the actions of a few. I do worry about his connections politically, however.

Eagle

It's his belief, and had the right to do so. I disagree with it, but it is his religious choice and by law I can't do anything about it. He may turn out okay.

Yes, I still disagree with it. But I recognize his religious exercise.

If you recognize his right to do it, what is it that you disagree about?

If you recognize his right to do it, what is it that you disagree about?

This subject has been discussed MUCH -- up here in Minney-soda.

There are many here who are outraged (staunch Lutherans, and Catholics),

because of the Q'ran vs. the Bible. (please note I capitalized them BOTH).

Personally -- I don't like it -- but my opinion has NO religious connection.

HERE IS A SITE, THAT GIVES HIS BIO.

He seems like a nice guy, he represents a diverse neighborhood,

they voted him in, altho *greater* Minney-soda is not happy.

(*Greater* is a term used up here for any outlying district from Mpls/ St. Paul).

I, personally, see this as another *chink in the armor of the USA*.

With all the heated debate going on up here -- one fact has been established.

William made the point earlier here that the actual swearing in had NO book involved.

And that the "book photo swearing in" was just that -- a photo-op.

That fact has been established (to the consternation of the staunch folks here),

but the fact I want to address remains, sans religion.

I understand that America is made up of immigrants. Fine.

I understand that there are diverse cultures here. Fine.

I also understand that one tends to identify with their heritage. Fine.

But ---- those initial immigrants worked to become a whole -- not a separate entity.

America used to be called a melting pot -- because that is what it was.

Folks sought freedom, personal wealth, whatever, and came here to find it.

And they didn't do so by being *independant*, as in culture.

These days -- I'm hearing that America should be a *salad*, not a *stew*.

In a salad, each individual retains their own unique identity,

whereas in a stew -- you have to mesh with others -- no unique identity.

Not a bad thing --if (as in the past), you *rise above your raisings*.

Bit by bit -- I see the armor weakening, that used to be strong and unifying,

but it is being undermined daily by folks like these.

FYI -- there is a huge battle going on in Mpls/ St. Paul with muslim cab drivers --

but that is another topic entirely.

Call me ignorant, call me backwards, call me whatever you want

(and this is not to you personally, Oak) ---

This is (as usual) -- just an IMO.

Hmm. This reminds me of something.

Back in '83 or so I played music for a TWI wedding. The clergyman who performed it did not use a bible; he used a copy of RHST, the leather bound one with red on the borders of the pages that everybody got who went to Living Victoriously, which LOOKED like a bible.

As far as I know, the couple was still legally married.

I understand that America is made up of immigrants. Fine.

I understand that there are diverse cultures here. Fine.

I also understand that one tends to identify with their heritage. Fine.

But ---- those initial immigrants worked to become a whole -- not a separate entity.

America used to be called a melting pot -- because that is what it was.

Folks sought freedom, personal wealth, whatever, and came here to find it.

And they didn't do so by being *independant*, as in culture.

Immigrants ( and we are not talking about immigrants but someone who was born here) never abandoned their religion.

From very early on. one of the first things that they typically did was build their own churches. In the Northeast especially there are Irish churches, Polish churches, Italian churches, Lithuanian churches etc etc you name it--that follow the waves of immigration. I have an appointment today to see a Korean church.

The initial immigrants maintained their own forms of spirituality and still somehow were able to contribute to the whole, as do most people still today.

I still dont see what the ruckus is all about, it was one of Jeffersons' guiding principals that seems to have worked out well-- and to me it seems appropriate that Ellison would respect that and symbolically give recognition and a hat tip to Jefferson by using his Quran.

People dont change though-- the Puritans hated the Quakers for fouling their state as well.

Things of course would always work smoother if people would choose the right religion ( which BTW is always MY religion) and not cause such a fuss, but in lieu of that --things havent worked out all bad with the setup weve got which makes room for everyone equally.

It broadens and strengthens our country immensely and keeps us from turning into a theocracy