GreaseSpot Cafe

Mrs. Wierwille's Poodle

J0nny Ling0

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dmiller's account, while possible, is IMO unlikely.

All those years ago (it was at an ROA after a late night teaching),

I thought I stepped in a puddle going to my tent,

when in reality -- it was a poodle I stepped on.

While doing my research I discovered a bit of information that seemed trivial at the time but may actually discount this possiblity - namely that Coco had a great fear of water, in all forms, due to a young-pup experience at the Way Pond on her 2nd birthday.

At that time, in the early years of the Way, it was traditional for those who had birthdays to be thrown into the Way Pond, all in good fun. Coco's experience was hardly that however. Despite repeated claims to not being able to swim Coco was in fact thrown into the south-west part of the pond, all paws flying. Unable to reach the bank Cocoa was then attacked by several of the resident ducks who mistook her for a small rodent. (no doubt the white color of her fur proved to be an attractant).

Apparently the onlookers took several minutes to recognize that Coco was in danger, during which time she was pecked and poked without restraint until Tic, in a moment of courage and at no small risk to his own safety plunged into the pond and pulled the postrate and barely breathing poodle to shore. Thus, Coco was saved that day and a lasting relationship was forged between the two canines. (although due to peer pressure one kept hidden for many years).

Coco's fear of water, although not well known, accounts for the fact that she was seldom seen outside during inclement weather, and then only under the shelter of an umbrella.

dmiller's poodle-puddle account would place it following one of the well known shower storms that blew through central Ohio during the ROA. Anyone who attended those events can attest to the large puddles and areas of free standing water that would pepper the grounds. That being the case, it is highly unlikely Coco would have been anywhere near those areas.

What or who was the victim in dmiller's story, I can't say. However this information may put that ghost to rest for you, sir. (However as a matter of historical interest and full-disclosure I would like to include it in my appendix, with permission of course).

I hope this has helped.

(also thanks for the spelling information Watered Garden - it would seem that although the poodle's name seldom appeared in print, that Coco would be in fact the correct rendering. Thanks!)

Edited by socks

To add:

The information posted above as to Coco's birthday experience also touches on another known but unsubstantiated story that may have relavance to your original query Jonny, namely the "Coco Is Dead" theory.

Another version of the Birthday-Pond fiasco tells of the duck attack lasting quite a bit longer, and being the cause of her demise that day. Sadly, all those who remember it said they had no idea of the danger otherwise they would have done something. That version covers Tic rescuing Coco, but tragically, too late. To quote one first-hand witiness who wished to remain anonymous - "She weren't movin', that's for sure. But with all the hubbub and ducks flying and all, it was hard to tell".

At this point the details become vague - little is known as to exactly what happened to Coco in the minutes immediately following. At the dinner meal however, "Coco" made an appearance to the joy and relief of all, apparently good as new if a little worse for the wear. Eye witness accounts of those at the meal remember however that Tic was noticably "cold" to the blanketed Coco, almost as if "he didn't recognize her", according to one person. Others observed that the poodle they were presented with appeared a bit larger and with thicker fur than they remembered, although that was attributed to the water, etc.

Questions lingered only for a short while, and soon it was Coco-business as usual. Yet, this odd version of the incident was recalled by more than one of those present that day.

Inquiries to local pet shops and breeders who might still have some record of poodle-oriented transactions at that time turned up nothing, however this interesting and perhaps chilling fact is known - a local shop in Wapakaneta, the "Poodle People's Pound", was known to breed and sell small, white poodles, which were very popular for a time there. All records were destroyed in the late 60's during a fire of suspicious origin and today there is a gas station and convenience store where the shop once stood.

Also of note: interestingly just a few short years later this topic resurfaced during the "Paul Is Dead" phase of The Beatles, which became known to some as "another counterfeit" being foisted upon the world, but to what aims or purpose? Even those who believed it can't say for sure.

Edited by socks

It Is Written

Where oh where did that poodle go?

We've looked high and we've looked low.

VP said the word

No more "Yips" were heard.

Now Coco is six feet below.

Doojable The Poet

Tonights Menu at The Buried Poodle Cafe'

Poodle Jerky

Poodle Sauteed in Onions with Goose Liver Pate'

Smoked Poodle Butt

Chicken Fried Poodle

Poodle Tar Tar

Poodle Sausage

Oh. the possibilities are endless

Edited by Out There

Ya know, I just wrote a long post, but when I clicked "add reply", nothing appeared. Just a blank post from Jonny Lingo. What gives? Is there such a thing as a post that is too long? Moderator? Yeah, it came out looking just like the post below.

Edited by Jonny Lingo