GreaseSpot Cafe

Mrs. Wierwille's Poodle

J0nny Ling0

I'll have to cut this story in half.

Ya know, this whole search for the Poodle Killer has really stirred me up. And as much as Frisco Guy may have seemed to be obtrusive, I am now thankful that he asked that question;

What does it matter to you and your life TODAY?

I am thankful that he asked me that question, for, in my subconscious mind, it must have stirred me deeply. For, as I lay in bed last night listening to the night birds singing their mournful song outside on my veranda and pondering this question, a glimmer of light upon the subject crept into my brain. I was carried back in time, as if in an almost "out of body experience" to the time when I was in my last year in the In Residence Way Corps Training Program. Yes, it was the first block of my last year in Rez, and I was at Camp Gunnison, getting ready to ride my first bull in the first official "High Country Rodeo School" (HCRS). I had a serious knot of fear in my stomach, as I was gearing up to ride "Old Strychnine" the Brahma bull who had never been ridden in his career as an official "bucking bull". I eyed this 1800 pound beast with faux fearlessness, trying to convince my self that I could do it, and that I was not afraid. I had drawn the meanest bull in the bunch, and yet, every single one of my Corps Brothers and Sisters had been bucked off by lesser bulls already on the rides that had preceeded mine which was only five rides away.

And as I contemplated what shortly could be my very demise, I heard a mumbling from nearby, the voice of one familiar to me, a Corps Brother of certain notoriety. His name was (and I'll only give his initials) "PJW". He was sitting on the ground, stretching his legs in preparation for his ride, yet mumbling almost incoherently and with a look of fear upon his face. As I walked closer, curiously, to hear what he was saying, I heard the words "Not the Poodle Lord, no, not the Poodle. Please Lord, not the Poodle, I'm sorry Lord, Im sorry!" It was nearly incoherent, but I knew what I'd heard. And so I said; "Hey PJ, what poodle? there're no poodles round here. Only cow dogs. Wadd're ya talkin about?" And with a wild look in his eyes, he looked up as if seeing me for the first time and hissed; "The Poodle! I drew the Poodle! I know that it is my recompense for not saying what I knewabout the poodle! I knew man I knew! But I never said anything before it was too late!" And I just stared at him, mystified by his internal torment. That's right, the look in his eyes was that of a pure and weary torment. His eyes were haunted. I was really spooked as I stared at him. But finally I got it together and said; Geez, PJ, I'd love ta help ya, but waddya mean by "poodle"? And he stood and said; "C'mere". As he strode over to the bull pen, he pointed out a huge Black Angus Bull that had a thick curly coat of hair not unlike the curly hair of a poodle dog. And, some clown had even given him a "poodle haircut!" And he said; "See that? That bull's name is "The Poodle". That's the bull I drew, and now I have to ride him just before you ride Old Strychnine! How could it be that there is actually a rodeo bull with the unlikely name of The Poodle? Look at him! He's a giant 2000 pound poodle! An I have to ride 'im! I'm tellin ya it's my recompense! What goes around comes around! I knew about what was going to happen to that white poodle, but I never told!" He said with that wild look in his eye. I looked at him and grabbed him by the shoulders, shook him and told him; "Get a hold of yerself PJ! You have to ride in about eight minutes! Now come on!" But he went on saying; "But I didn't do it! I only knew about it but didn't tell!" And so I said; "Well since yer bein so daggone vague and not telling me what yer really talkin about with this white poodle, I'll just say this to ya." And his eyes locked onto mine, beseeching, pleading with me for some sort of absolvement. And I said this to him; "PJ, you say that you knew what was going to happen to the "white poodle", but you didn't tell anyone before it happened. Is it possible that you didn't know that it really was going to happen?" And he nodded vigorously saying; "Yes! Yes! I didn't believe 'em! I thought they were joking! I didn't think anyone would do such a thing!" "Well then" I told him. "Then you don't have anything to worry about. You didn't speak up out of a pure absence of malice. You didn't think they'd do it to the white poodle, and that's why you didn't speak up. And so, you are absolved. You weren't an accessory. You are good. Maybe this is the Lord's way of helping you to get over it, by sending you a bull by the name of "The Poodle" that you can ride into the dirt. Now, when yer time comes, get on that bull and ride!!"

Just then, the rodeo announcer Uncle George Shaw's voice boomed over the loud speaker sayin; "An comin up soon out of shoot number three is a big tough cowboy by the name of PJW! PJ! Ya better get geared up cause, yer gonna be bustin outa the shoot in about three minutes on that big black angus known as The Poodle!" And with that, and with a look of confidence in his eye, PJ nodded at me and said; "I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna ride that Poodle into the dirt and put this whole thing to rest! I'm tired of the nightmares! I'm tired of hearing the "yip yipping" of that white poodle in my nightmares!

to be cont'd

Edited by Jonny Lingo

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna get 'er done once and fer all!" An I slapped him on the back and off he went into shoot number three. I got up there with him and helped him with his bull rope. I gave him words of confidence. He nodded vigorously that he was good. He got all set. He put on an extra wrap known as the "suicide wrap". And with steel eyed conviction, he scootched forward, nodded his head and the gate blew open. And man oh man did that crowd roar as that nearly two ton black "poodle" thundered into the arena with PJW stuck to his back like ugly on an ape! PJ was stuck on there fast as The Poodle, growling, sh i tting, and blowing snot all at the same time, twisted and heaved high into the air trying to shake PJ off and dump him on the ground. That massive Black Angus tried every trick in the book to shake PJ and slam him to the ground so's he could stomp PJ to death. But PJ stuck fast. Four seconds had gone by as the great bull tried a different tactic, one that had worked for him everytime in the past. The Poodle turned hard to the left, but then on a dime, switched back to the right in a violent heave and began to spin like an Oklahoma Twister tearin into a trailer park! He was tryin to get 'ol PJ into "the well" an dump him good. But! PJ's HCRS traing came in handy. He'd remembered Bob Donaldson's instructions to "slash" with his free arm to the left if he's tryin to dump you into the well to the right. PJ began to slide to the right and it looked as if he was going to go down, but with a mighty heavin' slash to the left, he righted himself and was back on dead center! I grinned and hooted and hollered as I watched my friend exorcize his demons on the back of that giant black Poodle! And by gawd PJ hung in! But there was fire in that black bull's eyes! FAARR I tell ye! That bull was pi ssed off! He'd only been ridden once before and he was still mad about it, and he was determined to shake this big old cowboy who had been upon his back for way too long at this point!

Just then, The Poodle made one last ditch effort to shake his tormentor loose. He switched from his spin to the right, heaved to the left, and then lunged straight for the boards of the arena fence! He arced high into the air, and come down with his front two feet planted two feet in front of the boards with his hind legs twelve feet in the air behind him! The crowd stood to their feet with a fearsome roar as they expected PJ to be catapulted over the fence and into the chutes! But PJ hung in with a grin and a grimmace cause he knew that the horn was about to blow that heavenly eight second sound. And sure enough, there it went. But also sure enough, just after the horn, PJ did in fact vault into the air, flyin high with a loud "yee haw" comin from his mouth, while flyin clean over the shoots! He landed square on his butt just past where I'd been up on the fence of the chutes where I'd been watchin his Victory Ride. And even though he'd hit like a huge sack of Idaho potatos, and had landed real hard, he had a look of serenity on his face. He had a real peaceful look of "serendipity", if you will. Came to that rodeo for one reason, yet had an enlightenment and an epiphany that he hadn't expected to come away with. Least that's what the look on his face seemed to tell me anyways...

And so I said; "Well there PJ, it looks like yer troubles are over. No need to worry about the fate of that "white poodle" you were talking about. You're good. It's over. You rode the Black Poodle to the horn. You got yer eight seconds, and yer demons can be laid to rest. If you ever want to tell me the rest of the stow-ree of the "white poodle", then just get in touch with me and tell me all about it. But if not, and if this is the end of it, then so be it." And he just looked at me with gratitude and said; "Thank you JL, but I just think I'll lay this one to rest". We shook hands, he went back into the arena to the wild cheers of the crowd, and I was thankful to have been of some kind of help to my friend, even though I didn't know the full story of what had haunted him so. And after we graduated from the Corps, we never spoke of it. Saw him a few times after that, but we never really talked.

And yet, a few years later, my LC told me that story about the "disappearance of Coco". And I knew then what PJ had been mumbling about just before his victorious and soul cleansing ride. Yet, I still am haunted by the question of who it was that carried out the "hit" on that fluffy white little "Coco".

And so, tonight, as I lay in my bed, listening to the night bird's song, I feel that some of the pieces are coming together. For some reason, I must have blocked some of these things from my memory (repressive memory syndrome? I dunno), but last night it seemed as if this deep memory was aroused, and I think that things are getting clearer. The healing is coming, I'm sure of it......

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Dog meat is a common menu item in South Korea.

People raise them on farms as a type of livestock like chickens or hogs.

(Though conditions are not regulated as they are in the USA)

People in India find it appalling that we eat cows.

Hmmm!----Don't have to even travel all the way to India to find those who share that sentiment.

And so, is there any truth to this? Does anybody know the details?

Perhaps this would shed some light on what happened to Coco. Too bad it's out of print:

The Case of the Missing Poodle

or this:

Poodle: The Other White Meat

or even this:

Man arrested for killing, cooking and eating his neighbor’s poodle

Edited by wrdsandwrks

wrdsnwrks

You mean to say that ttere are known roving bands of Poodle Killers out there? Cooking them and eating them?! Oh-my-gawd!

I guess nobody liked my stow-ree. And I worked so hard on it. I guess though, this fascination with "poached poodle" and other Poodle delicacies is very important to us all. But ya know, I did notice a very nicely garnished plate of "Poodle And Prawns" at this nice French Restaurant last night. It looked downright.....yummy!

I liked your story Jonny: I just read it and all that talk about beef and poodle made me hungry. So i am think that tonight it will be Poodle roasted over Eucalypsis leaves with butter and white pepper (I had something like this in a village in Ecuador except they substituted Guinea Pig for Poodle)

A hot slice of Poodle Ala Mode for desert

Guinea Pig? Wow. But then again, they are little herbivores(sp?), and that's what wabbitts are...

Oh, and glad ya liked the story. I like to write storys that have happened to me, but with those, the details are already there because the incident actually happened. I also like to write stories that I have no idea about where the story is going and then just make stuff up along the way. And as things develop, then an ending begins to form in my mind and I just keep going till I'm there. That was one of those. Kinda fun it was...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Poodle Steaks on the grill is what I'm having tonight

By the way, Guinea pig is really good, tastes like a super greasy chicken. If you ever get down there order Cuy (pr Ku-Wee). I've also had corn flour breaded Llama and Bulls Penis Soup and Blood soup. I wasn't that fond of any of those.

But I have a real hankering for poodle now. Is there a Poodle Hot Dog available?

Bull's penis soup? Now that sounds disgusting. No, that is disgusting. Did you know what it was before you ate it? No wait, no doubt you'd been lost in the jungle and found delerious, dehydrated, and hadn't eaten in three weeks, right? And what country was that? Wowsa!

Since poodles are French, wouldn't it be more like... Poodle TarTar? :biglaugh:

Now you've done it ... poodles are French? Well that might be enough to upset the mad German ... but I just had to check with Wikipedia

Although the FCI lists the country of origin as
France
, most texts agree that Poodles originated in what is now
Germany
. Poodles were originally
gun dogs
and may be seen occasionally in that role. The show clips evolved from working clips which were originally to provide warmth for major joints during duck hunts in cold water. The rest of the body is shaved for less drag in the water. Poodles have been popular all through
Europe
for several hundred years. They also are skilled at most other dog events including
herding
agility
obedience
tracking

So those French took them from being "useful" dogs and and turned them into fashion dogs.

180px-Heidishow.jpg pudel was the German word, probably the derivative ... but apparently the French claimed to be the country of origin.

Despite the claims of several other countries, France has now been officially recognized as its country of origin, and the breed occupies a special place on the affections of the French. It is certain that the Poodle is descended from a now nearly extinct French water dog, the Barbet and possibly the Hungarian Water Hound. The name "Poodle" probably derives from the German word "Pudel," which means one who plays in water. The Poodle was used as a gun dog.

Bulls Penis soup isn't that bad, a little salty but... I had it at a womans house in Banos. I was a guest so I had to eat whatever she gave me and that was the special guest meal of the day. Yes. I knew what it was before I ate it. this was in ecuador. When in Rome..

I'm sure poodle wang soup would'nt be the same but it is something to consider. Was cocoa a he or a she?

Animal Crackers and Cocoa to Eat

that is the finest of suppers I think

When I grow up and can do what I please

I think I will always insist on these

I don't know the rest of the poem or who the poet was but I think its a fitting tribute to a poodle.

I think I know where the poodle is.

After about thirty years or so, unless it's on life support somewhere in a research hospital or something, poor Cocoa is plain stone cold dead..

probably tormenting vic in the after life..

:biglaugh: