GreaseSpot Cafe

Sleeping Beauty...

doojable

OK I just can't stand to not brag. Today both my girls were in Sleeping Beauty and they did a wonderful job! Unfortunately I didn't get great photos, but I did get some. Here's the link:

Sleeping Beauty

I even got to make one of the cosutmes....

Thanks everyone! I wish I could describe how hard these kids work for what amounts to minutes on the stage.

Blisters, strains, pains, fatigue. They fought it all and pulled off a very professional looking show. At one point the stage crew skipped a five minute piece of music. This was time that would have given many of them time to change their costumes and from soft shoes to pointe shoes. BUT when they heard "their" music begin they all jumped up, tied ribbons twice as fast, and got on stage. ( I know that five minutes to change costumes and shoes sounds like an eternity - but their teacher has them put ribbons on both their soft shoes as well as the pointe shoes - so it takes longer than one might think.)

They learn how to improvise and adapt. They gain great poise and confidence. They learn teamwork and how to take care of each other.

And they do it all to classical music while on their toes.....(well some of it is on their toes.)

Me too!

How sweet those pics... and I know that female human teenagers can be something else!

Bravo, brava!!!

fing25.gif

Actually Rocky, my teen is cool. We have talks about lots of stuff and when we get upset with each other one of us grabs the other and we talk it out.

The ten year old is learning the same thing. Besides, she already thinks she's a teen.

Just lovely! Which costume did you make? Are they cats?

Suda

Suda - I'm not so much a costumer as I am a headdress maker. This year I found out the NIGHT BEFORE the performance that the director wanted some cat ears - could I do it by the next morning at 10 AM? (Mind races.....) I said I could then set out to buy some stuff. I have to do it on a budget because I know I won't be reimbursed (it's a new company so funds are tight.)

We go to the local craft store and buy a bunch of stuff then buy some head bands. By ten PM that night - Voila! - cat ears!

The next day during the performance I made the little arm and ankle bands of fur. I wasn't sure the director would want them so I waited.

During the performance, I had to repair costumes, help the girls with costume glitches, and even re-sew a ribbon that had come off of a pointe shoe.

Anything to help them do their job better.

Cat ears!...I bet you never thought that your corps training would prepare you to make cat ears...

Oh there were other influences that helped in that department.....

I'm so proud I can hardly contain myself! The truth is that you could put them on a stage in a t-shirt and blue jeans and their pointe shoes and they'd still be beautiful. The costumes are just extras.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm so proud I can hardly contain myself! The truth is that you could put them on a stage in a t-shirt and blue jeans and their pointe shoes and they'd still be beautiful. The costumes are just extras.

If I had the option of choosing my mother -- it would be a very difficult choice between you and the one I was born to. You do your daughters right and there is no such thing as bragging too much about them whenever you have the opportunity. Brag on!