GreaseSpot Cafe

Can you pass an 8th grade science test ...

rhino

Somehow, I got 80% right. Math and science were never my better subjects. I hated most of my classes including English and History until I got into the Army.

I remember in my 30's, I had a little carpet cleaning business and a project came up to clean carpet in a church. I had to figure out the area of a choir room. It was round. I hadn't ever used pi in a practical application and had to get help from a friend. The experience suddenly gave me an intense appreciation for math. I found myself enjoying the subject.

I purchased a workbook and tried to re-aquaint myself with the subject. In the first few pages, there was a drill to determine the level of expertise. There were 100 addition problems progressively getting more difficult as you progressed through the test. It started with single digits and progressed to 9 digits on several rows. The time allowed was 5 minutes. I failed miserably.

Don't expect I'll get any calls from NASA. I guess that's why I enjoyed the Bible so much over the years. Except for 4 crucified, there's not a lot of math to deal with.

I got 84% (a B).

I think I would've done better, but it took a few questions before I remembered how to take a multiple guess test.

You sort through the answers, one is always palpable nonsense, then two others will usually be at the extreme ends of the possiblities, and the magic one will be sorta "normal" sounding.

Hey, it got me through High School (college was a whole nuther kettle of fish, though)

....I remembered how to take a multiple guess test.

You sort through the answers, one is always palpable nonsense, then two others will usually be at the extreme ends of the possiblities, and the magic one will be sorta "normal" sounding. . . .

Thanks, George. I am studying for and hoping to pass the Certified Internal Auditor exam (I then would be a bona fide certified CIA). This helps (I think).

Thanks so much,

88 percent. B+

23 of 26 correct.

Could be because I enjoy (and regularly watch) the Science Channel, DiscoveryHDTheatre, NationalGeographic Channel, and the Equator Channel (which is a part of the VOOM network which now belongs to Dish Network).

B for me. I forgot a lot of stuff - it's been a long time.

I hang out on the dial where Rocky does. If you know where to look, there's lots of good stuff on TV. I enjoy many of the history channels too. I hated history in school, but now I like seeing how the pieces fit together.

I hang out on the dial where Rocky does. If you know where to look, there's lots of good stuff on TV. I enjoy many of the history channels too. I hated history in school, but now I like seeing how the pieces fit together.

I agree... but let's not forget the Biography channel.

Nice job Evan, and you other guys ...

Comets are dirty ice ... I think I knew that, but I put nickel ... man, I was not in test mode ... not sure where I got nickel, unless there is a lot of that in asteroids or meteors. I was thinking of that Bruce Willis movie, but that wasn't a comet like Hale Bot ... or whatever...

Meteor - meteoroid ... I thought 'roids were a problem on earth, but I guess they are around Uranus. :D

I missed the lever one 'cuz I thought you had to have a fulcrum ... but I guess the arm is a third-class lever, according to wikipedia. Of course pulley didn't make sense either.

I put just aerobic, I guess anaerobic is when there is not enough oxeygen so lactic acid is formed. So it is limited but does occur in humans (mammals).

I was a horticulture major, but I put attract insects and disperse the seed. I didn't see how getting the seed eaten really "protected" the seed, and plenty of seeds are not so protected. But technically the flower is not the fruit, the fruit comes along after the insect has pollinated the ovary. But I had to argue with the protection part. LOL

Jupiter is gaseous ... who knew? LOL I guess Venus seemed closest

Edited by rhino

Here's how I figured it Rhino... the fruit attracts and gets eaten (seed and all)... later on down the road the seed is passed along in a different kind of 'protective' environment that also serves as fertilizer...

WW, I think the score's pretty good, too without any studying, considering I don't work in a 'scientific' field (although I'd love to)...

TheEvan! good job... I was wondering how I missed so many questions... then I remembered I'm old and blew away so many brain cells on acid since I last studied any of this stuff... :)

myseestorEx, have Mackie take the test! he'd probably blow us all away!

I "make light" of many things, but it is not always clear. :)

Now I want to argue with teacher again. "The planet Jupiter is primarily composed of hydrogen with a small proportion of helium; it may also have a rocky core of heavier elements." And ... "Jupiter, along with Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, is classified as a gas giant." I mean, there is a lot of gas around me too, but it ain't heavy.

And don't get me started on my hanging chads ... I was discriminated against and I really deserve an A so I will feel better about myself. :biglaugh:

WARNING ...

take the test here if you want and haven't yet ... before reading the discussion.

But if you're going to cheat, cheat off the A student.

Edited by rhino