GreaseSpot Cafe

way jokes

Georgio Jessio

So I was in my basement today looking for some old photos when I found my PFAL books. In one of them was this joke, hand written by me because R*b K*ho* and GB told us all to write it down and tell it at school. Now, perhaps I am missing something but aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

I remember doing as I was told and telling this joke in school. It set my social life back by leaps and I'm not sure I ever really recovered. The kids thought I was just weird. For once I was happy that I attended a new school every year.

Here's the joke, maybe some of you remember it.

A priest, a rabbi and Dr. Weirwille were in a boat. The boat starts to sink so the priest gets out of the boat and walks on water back to the safety of the beach. Dr. Weirwille does the same. The rabbi takes one step out of the boat and sinks and drowns.

Back at shore the priest looks at Dr. Weriwille and says "you think we should have told him about the rocks?"

Dr. Weirwille says "what rocks"

Ok, like I said, not funny. It's not funny because it just isn't funny. Never mind the anti semetic undertones. This joke nearly ruined my life, because to a kid, not being hated in school is kind of important. It was bad enough that I tried to get kids to come to twig like I was on commision (we kinda were no?) but then I started telling hateful, stupid jokes with a punchline only I could understand.

To this day. I cannot look back on it and laugh.

:biglaugh:

How about running around thinking its okay to openly tell Catholics that the Pope is stupid.

Or that "My parents love me more than your parents love you because mine don't lie to me about Santa Clauss."

Yes, lost a few friendship opportunities.

I originally heard this as one of those "A Priest, a Rabbi, and a Minister..." jokes. I honestly don't remember which two "walk on water" and which one sinks, but the joke was "Shouldn't we tell him where the rocks are?" This adaptation is rather clever, though it obviously loses something on the 99.9999999% of the population who doesn't think VP could walk on water....

George

I for one, find it quite amusing that VPW thought he could actually walk on water.

I heard another one that was equally as stupid.

VPW gets to the throne of God and God says "you may enter the kingdom if you answer one question".

Vp agrees.

God then says, "can you help me understand this section in Eph. 3?"

VARIATION: God then says "Can you minister to this pain in my back?"

OK, GJ, I know that is off topic. ( The topic being how they expected us to do and say lame things for the sole purpose of promoting their cause.)

I remember once in Fellowlaborers we had to smile and say "God Bless You." to every person we met that day.

Yep. That's a foolproof method of convincing your coworkers you are not involved in something weird.

NOT!!

I first heard that joke as a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Baptist minister out fishing.

The Priest (Irish) wanted *a drop of the pure*, so he got out of the boat,

and walked over the water to shore where the bottle of whiskey was.

Then the Rabbi decided he wanted some wine, so he got out of the boat,

and walked over the water to shore where the bottle of wine was.

By now the Baptist minister was squirming, seeing them on shore drinking.

As a Baptist, he wasn't supposed to drink at all,

but he knew there was a six pack of cold beer there on shore.

So he decides to join them, gets out of the boat, and drowns.

The Priest turned to the Rabbi and said -----

"We should have told him where the rocks were".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

However -- the twi version shows the bone-headed adulation and glorification of docvic.

"Rocks?? We don't need no stinkin' rocks! Docvic walks on water without them!"

Twi could screw up a wet dream given THEIR interpretation of things.

They can't leave a anything alone. They have to tamper and meddle with it,

so that it fits like a foot in the mouth.

I thought the joke to be funny, but then again ------

I READ IT IN THE ORIGINAL!!!!

:biglaugh:

I for one, find it quite amusing that VPW thought he could actually walk on water.

I heard another one that was equally as stupid.

VPW gets to the throne of God and God says "you may enter the kingdom if you answer one question".

Vp agrees.

God then says, "can you help me understand this section in Eph. 3?"

VARIATION: God then says "Can you minister to this pain in my back?"

OK, GJ, I know that is off topic. ( The topic being how they expected us to do and say lame things for the sole purpose of promoting their cause.)

I remember once in Fellowlaborers we had to smile and say "God Bless You." to every person we met that day.

Yep. That's a foolproof method of convincing your coworkers you are not involved in something weird.

NOT!!

I remember that joke too. It's a little funnier than the one I have but still not a true knee slapper. As far as I know these jokes did not come from VPW himself. But imagine a catholic saying the same thing about the pope. They wouldn't dare! It would be sacreligious.

I'm not trying to be a heavy but it seems like a weird joke to make, to even joke that a man was greater than God and to make that joke at "church"!

But , yes, the point is that it made me look like a jerk. As does saying "God Bless You" to everyone you see. That's just forced and not even genuine and makes you look like a weirdo. How are we supposed to "each one reach one" when the first impression we make is a bad one?

When thinking of my former Way leaders, sometimes I get mad. Today I just think they were idiots.

I remember hearing that joke when I first starting attending fellowships. I didn't find it humorous either. But in the version I heard, the priest fell in, the Rabbi made it to shore. I was somewhat offended as my mother grew up in the Catholic church and had been a target of ridicule during her childhood because of it.

Suda

Georgio, reminds me of a co-worker who was complaining that he'd been proselytized at the library. There's an arrogance, sometimes disguised as godliness, that says, "Of course I can interrupt your life and your sensibilities, because my message is more important than you." That's kinda what I get out of your being told to tell these jokes at school. Did they forget what is was like to be a kid? (Don't answer that, I think I know.)

Either that, or they were so removed from the real world, that they really thought this stuff was funny! :rolleyes:

I heard the "teach me Ephesians" joke when I was in, and I thought it was funny, but in a way that brings Wierwille down a peg, the idea being that Vic's explanations are so slick that even God Himself isn't sure He grasps the greatness of what He wrote. It reminded me not to put the Vicster up so high.

Waysider,

This is a tad off topic, but I gotta know:

Did you actually smile and say "God bless you" to every person you met that day? I know I hated my job, it sucked like an open chest wound, So I couldn't have done it, though I don't remember if I was there that happy occasion or not.

WG

God first

Beloved Georgio Jessio and others

God loves us all my dear friend

the truth and nothing but the truth so I rewrote the joke

A priest, a rabbi and Dr. Weirwille were in a boat. The boat starts to sink so the priest and rabbi gets out of the boat and walk back to the safety of the beach which look like they were walking on water.

Dr. Weirwille step out of the boat and sinks and dies

Back at shore the priest looks at rabbi "you think we should have told him about the rocks?"

rabbi says "I told him about the rocks but he said he so great he will walk the long way back on water not fleshly rocks"

priest, and rabbi watch while a life guard pulls Dr. Weirwille to the shore then priest, and rabbi raise him from the death

A Angel shows up and says "why did you raised Dr. Weirwille you know he will sale the thing called PFAL and hurt many"

priest, and rabbi says "we were just trying to love he that hates us"

then Dr. Weirwille begin teaching he rose some one from the death when priest, and rabbi rose him

I guess just one more thing Dr. Weirwille turn about

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Waysider,

This is a tad off topic, but I gotta know:

Did you actually smile and say "God bless you" to every person you met that day? I know I hated my job, it sucked like an open chest wound, So I couldn't have done it, though I don't remember if I was there that happy occasion or not.

WG

It was an assignment we were given in night twig, the twig that met after after coming home from Limb Hq.

Rich W. was my twig leader. It must have been "twig specific".

Between that twig and lights-out, we often ran over to the Wayside Truck Stop for munchies and smokes.

Hence the name "Waysider". (Plus, I like the ambiguity it suggests.)

But, to answer your question,"did you actually do the assignment?"--------------

:jump:

• 3 years later...