GreaseSpot Cafe

Now reading "other" Christian books

Dot Matrix

A long time ago, before TWI, I used to read Christian books. Yes, it was on another planet in another lifetime.

I always enjoyed people’s experiences with God, miracles and some of the really cool things ministers did to get the word of God to people.

Anyway, through TWI, I had given up that reading and focused on THEIR material and the Bible. (Exceptions being the Babylon Mystery Religion and that book with the word Counterfiet in the title)

I have gotten back into reading Christian books and wanted to share some with you and see if you had any you would like to share.

I have reread God’s Smuggler and it beautifully laid out a man’s ministry to get Bibles into countries, which did not allow them, the danger he was in, and how God protected him.

Healing by Smith Wigglesworth

An exciting book on healing which laid out for me the importance of people being ready to receive. He was an unusual man. A bit feisty. But when he prayed he seemed to work on the person’s readiness to receive. He would build the level of excitement or thankfulness in a room before he prayed. Sometimes saying “on the mark” things to have the sick party see this time it was real. (Many had been prayed for by others, with a perhaps flat, words on page prayer and they had given up.) He first got them from “giving up” to excited to receive.

Open my Heart Lord, by Kathi Oates

Healing for the Broken Hearted. I don’t think anyone looking to read a Christian book here on Greasespot would be disappointed. One Chapter I really enjoyed was a Quest to get free. It comes with a CD that the author would like people to listen to at the conclusion of the book)

Beauty for Ashes by Joyce Myer

I started it. But I am reading four books at a time. One in my car at lunch. On in the office at down time. And two at home. I would rather read this by itself. It is about recovery from rape and incest.

Anyone else read any inspirational Christian books

Anyone else?

Edited by Dot Matrix

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently re-read a book called Christy, by Catherine Marshall. It is a fictionalized account of the life of a young schoolteacher in the appalachians during the depression or even earlier. It is about her search for true faith in God. It's also a love story.

A book our women's group at church studied last year was "Becoming a Woman of Faith" by Cynthia Heald. It's kind of a workbook format, but the questions you answer are good ones that make you think, and it takes you through the Bible.

I like Joyce Meyer.

WG

I'm fairly fond of "My Utmost for His Highest," by Oswald Chambers. It's a daily devotional, so on any given day during the year, you turn to that date and read the entry. If you skip a day, so what. It was designed to be read in daily chunks.

I also really like Max Lucado's books.

My all time favorite inspirational book is one called *none to give away*

It is a true story about a woman who in the early 1940s ...was widowed with 5 children under 4 yrs old...(2 sets of twins and a single birth)

It was about how people insisted that she must give up the children for adoption...

It is an astonishing book about a woman who had to rely on God through the most heartbreaking of circumstances...

There was no well fare back then, no food stamps....nobody to rely on but God...

She was a school teacher in the winter, but moved to a rural location and grew a garden in the summer to can all of the food they would eat in the following winter. She milked a wild cow for dairy products for the kids...

Cool cool lady.

I reread her story any time I feel like my plate is a little too full, or I doubt God`s faithfullness. I invariably come away thinking ...MY problems are mighty small potatoes....lol

Thanks for the replies, I will add those books to my list.

Raf:

Where I used to work we had a fellowship on Thursday's before work. We went through one of Max's books. It was great. The men (there were more men there than women, I think I may have been the only one -- now that I think about it) they really connected with Max.

Rascal

This may sound dumb but they had wild cows? Is that like a feral cat?

You have domesticated cows who stand quietly to be milked while placidly eating their feed.

You have range cows that have to be trapped, tied, and attempt to milk while dodging horns that are trying to gore you, kicks that can kill....bucket overturned and spilled when the eager calf is trying to fight you for his share...

This cow and calf were one of the few left after her husband died and the herd had to be liquidated to cover debts....

Nobody milks a range cow...except this crazy woman who was determined to have dairy products for her children.

I can only recommend this as probably the most influential books I have ever read. It is an older book, probably published in the 70s ... I got it quite by accident (?)...it was one of the books on my grandmas shelf that got sent with the set of zane gray books I requested when she died.

I found a three used copies through alibris.com and bought every copy I could find to share with friends.

ANother book I read and enjoyed very much was one called *living like a kings kid* cannot remember the authors name...but it is his personal story about deliverance ...he was an alcoholic.

Edited by rascal

It won`t be in any book store. It will have to be found on line.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm

I found it. It looks like they might have republished it.

They give a much better synopsis than I do.

Jim and Elsie Doig had Confidently invested in a future together on a Montana ranch. Then in 1940 Jim was fatally injured, leaving Elsie a young widow without much experience of the world. Overnight she had to learn how to fend for herself and her five small children, including two sets of twins. None to Give Away is the story of her struggle to support her brood while running a gas station and teaching school, to maintain a log home on Dry Creek and turn rented quarters into a home, to cope alone with all the minor catastrophes incidental to raising children. And to do it all without neglecting her own needs.

Edited by rascal

I suppose that it struck me so forcibly post twi was that in this woman...I saw how it was SUPPOSED to work with God.

It wasn`t about witnessing and running classes and trying to do as many works as we could to stay in his will.

It was about having him to lean on for strength in times of trial. Knowing that in spite of how awfull things look...that he is there with us...that he will see us through...that we can safely trust ... he isn`t conditional according to whether or not we have operated all of the formulas and principles correctly.

Oh come on. If you really wanna break out of a rut, why not try out something like "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, or "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan? Sagan was a brilliant guy but without any trace of animosity that Dawkins often betrays. Both are/were really smart guys, scary smart in Sagan's case.

Either of those will definitely get some different wheels spinning...

Dot-My wife recently read some books by Helen Keller. She definately portrays the joy of life in here writings.

Rascal-that book sounds great. I'll have to get that one. Love reading anything inspiring.

The Subtle Power of Spritual Abuse-A must read for all here. My copy is on loan so I don't have the authors name on hand.

You the Owners Manual-Dr Mehmet Oz. (this guy if definately a believer and tells you how to love your body)

Love Medicine and Miracles-Bernie S Siegel (believes that attitude is the difference in healing processes)

Toxic Faith-Stephan Arterburn-(any form of control in religion is hurtful)

When bad Crhistians happen to good people-Brad Burchett (exactly what it says)

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff-Richard Carlson (Great practical advice for everyday living.

A Short History of just about Everything-Bill Bryson (Tells you how beautfully balanced our world is.)

Some of my favorites are The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, Me and My Big Mouth by Joyce Meyer (or any of hers--I love Beauty from Ashes, too), I Give You Authority by Charles Kraft, gosh there are so many, and Walter the Farting Dog (sorry, couldn't resist, lol).

Edited by waterbuffalo

Gee where do I start? I have been reading a lot in order to get a different perspective than my twi one.

I started reading lots of Max Lucado books because the library here had a lot of them.

I have read some of Beth Moore's books--my favorite being Breaking Free. It was very healing for me.

Recently I have read several of John Bevere's books-including a fictional one called Rescued. (Which was awesome--though a lot of people like the audio version best because it takes a while for the book to get going.)

Right now I am reading a book called Completely His by Shannon Ethridge. I may end up posting parts of that one because at least one section "screamed" to me regarding time in twi.

I have read others-but will spare you those!

Recommendations for ex-Wayfers:

The Pilgrim’s Progress, by John Bunyan

The Belgic Confession of Faith

http://www.prca.org/bc_index.html

The Westminster Confession of Faith

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/wcf.htm

The London Baptist Confession of 1689

http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc00.html

(Note: The LBC seems largely to have incorporated the WCF, but, IMO, the LBC section on the Trinity is notably more articulate.)

The Moody Handbook of Theology, Paul Enns

Other worthwhile reading:

The Forgotten Trinity by James R. White

The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by Lorraine Boettner

Redemption Accomplished and Applied by John Murray

Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments by Geerhardus Vos

The Pauline Eschatology by Geerhardus Vos

Christianity and Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen

Apologetics to the Glory of God by John M. Frame

Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ’s Righteousness by John Piper

Covenant, Justification, and Pastoral Ministry: Essays by the Faulty of Westminster Seminary California edited by R. Scott Clark

(The last two books might be particularly useful for folks who have been playing around with the likes of N. T. Wright, the New Perspective on Paul, and/or the Federal Vision.)

Edited by Cynic

"How We Got the Bible" by Neil R. Lightfoot.

For those interested in Bible history, it's a neat introduction to more information than we were ever exposed to in twi.

For those not interested in Bible history, it's all you'll ever need to know on the subject, AND it's interesting.

Darwin's Black Box," by Michael Behe.

For those interested in science, it's an interesting, accessible treatise on molecular biology, and some problems

with the current models.

WILD AT HEART by John Eldridge. I'd like to say it's an owners manual for us men. A great read and one that you can reall spend some time with. He's come out with a sequel recently and even has a workbook for anyone who'd like to use it in a Sunday School setting.

YOU GOTTA KEEP DANCIN by Tim Hansel. I deal with alot of constant pain (#7 all the time) due to an accident I had climbing 4 years ago. Tim also had an accident climbing and the book talks about how to deal with constant pain head on. THis is the only book I have ever found that has any answers for someone who deals with alot of physical pain

Oh come on. If you really wanna break out of a rut, why not try out something like "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, or "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan? Sagan was a brilliant guy but without any trace of animosity that Dawkins often betrays. Both are/were really smart guys, scary smart in Sagan's case.

Either of those will definitely get some different wheels spinning...

Sagan's rut is his own religion ... he has been a false prophet of doom ...

Some of the demons that haunt our world in recent years are invented by scientists. ....

A final media embarrassment came in 1991, when Carl Sagan predicted on Nightline that Kuwaiti oil fires would produce a nuclear winter effect, causing a "year without a summer," and endangering crops around the world. Sagan stressed this outcome was so likely that "it should affect the war plans." None of it happened.

The world is full of "scary smart guys" that know it all. The inspirational books sound more useful and "accurate". Good list you have going Dot. :eusa_clap: I'm not sure how well twi or anyone deals with the Bible and science, but science doesn't have much to offer on faith or spirituality, as far as I see.

One guy my Dad read was Reinhold Niebuhr (a guy vpw also mentions in piffle) ... The Nature and Destiny of Man is one I have, but it turned out to be a little heady for me. :) But I'm told it does more than most to bridge "next life" Christian hope with real world problems ... or something like that. I guess I'm more asking about it than suggesting it. :)

Edited by rhino

Just went to a garage sale and got MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST by Oswald Chambers. It's a daily devotional. The author was a contemporary of Bullinger. Haven't read much yet but it's OK. Also got THE GETTING OF WISDOM by Henry Handel Richardson.

In 70s/80s TWI they didn't discourage reading material from other authors. They just encouraged us to "separate truth from error". I remember Ralph D once saying he thanked God for people like Billy Graham and Orel Roberts.

Edited by johniam

In 70s/80s TWI they didn't discourage reading material from other authors. They just encouraged us to "separate truth from error". I remember Ralph D once saying he thanked God for people like Billy Graham and Orel Roberts.

Maybe in your area they didn`t but the first thing that my leaders did when I became involved in 79 was to discourage reading anything outside of the bible and collaterals...occasionally there would be a book recomended like God`s smuggler or satan seller....or something that a ministry person wrote.

I was badgered relentlessly to give up my foot locker of favorite books...I could become possessed...they were conduits for satans influence....yadda yadda...didn`t I want to be more spiritual....we become what we feed our minds...no books...no tv no news papers...too negative...movies were of no profit......fill my mind with God`s word...

Add all of that with eschewing of family and friends...we were sure isolated...the only input being ministry promoting doctrine ...no wonder twi became our entire existance :(