GreaseSpot Cafe

Help Men!!

likeaneagle

I recently moved to NH...I am looking at a 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport for the winter and it has 165,000 miles..Is this a good choice? Edmonds.com didnt realy help.

I'm a fan... just purchased my third, a 2000, with 180k on it. It all depends, as always with every used car, how well it was serviced. Cherokees can take a LOT of neglect, and still keep running. Check that it shifts well into and out of 4WD, and investigate as you would any used car. The price is also a factor. My guess is that a 94 in good condition mechanically and cosmetically with that many miles on it is worth between 1400 and 2200, the range being just how good you feel about it mechanically and cosmetically, how much tread is on the tires, etc. A cracked window or torn driver's seat drives it lower, all service records that impress you would drive it up. I base my opinion on my own searches, which have been local to northern DE/southeastern PA, through craigslist, local papers, etc. Best wishes with it.

Dan <---- knows a number of WOMEN who might be able to give equally sage advice, if not better! :wink2:

Edited by anotherDan

Suburu Outbacks are big here..I guess because you can carry 2 kayaks on top and slide thru the snow safely..

My daughter has a 2004 Jeep Wrangler, she gifted herself upon her arrival from volunteering in Iraq..she loves it..a little noisy for me.

Thank you both..I love the Cherokee size......

I have the current RC for Southern Region(Way) mini van..maybe,I should put it on ebay..

Edited by likeaneagle

I dunno, LAE,

With 165k, I'd say all the good miles are used up.

I guess it depends on how many miles you'll be putting on and how many people, and cargo you're gonna be carrying - things like that, but there's definitely going to be a lot of maintenance (routine AND otherwise) in the near future for this machine.

Personally I'd never buy a rig with much over 50k on it, 'cause I'd plan on keeping it a LOOOOONG time and that's not really feasible with a high mileage number. I should point out though, that I routinely put 30k a year on my vehicles (or more).

Also, I think there's better machines for winter driving (if that's the main criteria?) that get a lot better gas mileage. We had a Subaru Legacy wagon for several years that was a GREAT car in the snow, easy on gas, lots of power, comfortable, and wasn't horrendously expensive either. There's lots of other good choices too.

Why the Jeep?

Given that this thread was an invitation for mens input, I'll be brief.

A vehicle with that many miles on it should be considered if the price is a steal only and a certified well reputed mechanic has given it a complete check up. And the 1994 year would concern me too.

Just a woman's opinion. :)

Last time I checked I was still a girl, but I do know something about cars and I know a lot about NH winters...

Couple of things to consider when you're getting a used car in NH...

(1) Rust. Get the thing on a lift and have a good mechanic take a gander at the frame, exhaust system, etc.

(2) Tires. What's the tread like? If you're gonna need new tires soon it might not be a bargain. Tires on those things aren't cheap - it might be worth checking into...

(3) Gas mileage - what's the MPGs on it? What about when it's in 4WD?

(4) Will it pass NH State Inspection? When did it last pass inspection?

Just some thoughts...

Given that this thread was an invitation for mens input, I'll be brief.

A vehicle with that many miles on it should be considered if the price is a steal only and a certified well reputed mechanic has given it a complete check up. And the 1994 year would concern me too.

Just a woman's opinion. :)

That's as good (really, it's better) advice as one could get from me... especially since I'm a desert dweller.

Oh,Yea, the stereo..forgot to ask..duh.all I friggn care is if I can stay on the road..im a midwesterner, no such things as hilly curvy roads like this..in me homeland..God its so pretty here.

Im gonna keep checkin for good tough tire's..I will be praying everytime It snows fer sure.. :rolleyes:

thank to you all..

I'd second or third the Subaru Legacy Outback idea. If what you want is the ability to stay on the road, get through the snow or ice, it is great. I will be trading my 97 in on a newer one this winter. The clearance over snow is almost the same as the Jeep unless you have a lift kit on the jeep and/or oversize tires.

As for Jeep Sport, one word of advice, be wary of the tranny, especially with that many miles. It is possible it has been redone, but check it out. they are notorious for having weak tranny's around here. (this from the father of an off road rock crawling nut.) Perhaps a Toyota 4-runner instead? more reliable.

Whatever, you get tires tires tires are a number one improvement. I like my goodyear Assurance tires on the Suby, or Fortera on my truck.

Subaru. :)

I have a 2001 Legacy (not Outback) sedan (small car), that is awesome in winter.

It sit's lower to the ground than Hap's does, so REALLY deep snow is hard to get through.

When we get a foot or so of snow, I use the Dodge truck (4x4).

But for gas mileage, handling, over-all comfort --

the Subaru is by far the better of my two vehicles.

Do you need the extra interior room the Jeep offers??

If not, perhaps a smaller all wheel drive car is the way to go.

And ditto to what Hap said about the Jeep tranny's.

Co-worker of mine has a Jeep Cherokee (not sure how many miles are on it),

but it's an older one (late 90's) which she's had for two years ---

and the tranny is starting to go on her.

Actually --- there's a lot of smaller cars that are all wheel drive (these days).

So if you're looking for an *all weather* vehicle -- you've got quite a few choices.

But Subaru builds nothing BUT, so they rule (imo) when it comes to that feature.

And Subarus just don't *break*. They really are VERY good.

Good luck in whatever you choose! :)

Fred has had two Subaru's

I have a SUV 4wd KIA (KIT's KIA).

Last winter with the variable weather we have it was warm in the afternoon then a freezing rain and snow came in late afternoon and evening.

Roads were slick ice in just a couple of hours after 4:00 pm.

People stuck all over.

Fred came and rescued me (I parked the Kia at the gas station where I had stranded over night). The Subaru was able to maneuver around many other stalled and spinning vehicles.

I have new job further out toward the Sierra's, and so soon we will need to get me a Subaru, too.

And for those who speed: speed trap locator