GreaseSpot Cafe

NO FAIRIES IN THE WAY!!!

bliss

Thanks WW! Nothing like getting an answer from my 2 favorite authors!

I really feel the same way. I lived in ''fantasy'' land as a child, and it helped me search and wonder about the world and its Creator!

I let my kids read and watch Harry Potter stuff. I figure my generation survived "Bewitched".

quote: Do you remember the book "Angels of Light"? I think it was the book that detailed what devil spirit was involved in the behavior of people. Interesting book but, anyone reading it could quite easily forget that it takes the manifestation of discerning of spirits to determine the presence or non-presence of spirits and if present the identity of the spirit. It became a case where people were analyzing behavior and via sense knowledge determining the type of spirit. I suppose with such knowledge none of us really needed the manifestation of discerning of spirits. Some people couldn't handle reading that book because they started looking at themselves and wonder if they were possessed. Like I said -- interesting book -- but devoid of authority. If we can use a book's info to determine what devil spirit is present in an individual then why would God give us the ability to operate the manifestation of discerning of spirits?

BINGO!!! In 1990 during corps week LCM sAid that Chris Geer had spirits of necromancy and spirits of lying...BECAUSE only a 5 star general would DARE say that "this BOT murdered VP in front of the whole corps". Just like you said: no discerning of spirits, just a 5 senses evaluation of what was said. VP spoke of senses faith. I guess LCM practiced 5 senses discerning of spirits.

Speaking of fairies, that cartoon called "Fairly odd parents" on Nickelodeon has a teacher in Timmy's school who is obsessed about fairies. Every time he says the word 'fairies' he spazzes out.

Edited by johniam

I really feel the same way. I lived in ''fantasy'' land as a child, and it helped me search and wonder about the world and its Creator!

Great point. So did I. I hadn't really thought about how it made me hungry for the "real" world made known by the Way, the Truth and the Life.

I let my kids read and watch Harry Potter stuff. I figure my generation survived "Bewitched".

quote: Do you remember the book "Angels of Light"? I think it was the book that detailed what devil spirit was involved in the behavior of people. Interesting book but, anyone reading it could quite easily forget that it takes the manifestation of discerning of spirits to determine the presence or non-presence of spirits and if present the identity of the spirit. It became a case where people were analyzing behavior and via sense knowledge determining the type of spirit. I suppose with such knowledge none of us really needed the manifestation of discerning of spirits. Some people couldn't handle reading that book because they started looking at themselves and wonder if they were possessed. Like I said -- interesting book -- but devoid of authority. If we can use a book's info to determine what devil spirit is present in an individual then why would God give us the ability to operate the manifestation of discerning of spirits?

BINGO!!! In 1990 during corps week LCM sAid that Chris Geer had spirits of necromancy and spirits of lying...BECAUSE only a 5 star general would DARE say that "this BOT murdered VP in front of the whole corps". Just like you said: no discerning of spirits, just a 5 senses evaluation of what was said. VP spoke of senses faith. I guess LCM practiced 5 senses discerning of spirits.

Speaking of fairies, that cartoon called "Fairly odd parents" on Nickelodeon has a teacher in Timmy's school who is obsessed about fairies. Every time he says the word 'fairies' he spazzes out.

Yeah, it's no wonder so many people didn't need God working in their life, via the manifestations. If LCM said it it had to be true because God told him so. But no one bothered to ask God if it was true.

Never heard of the book "Angels of Light". Seeing as how my ex and I had just about every book TWI sold, they must not have been selling it in the '90's.

Yeah, it's no wonder so many people didn't need God working in their life, via the manifestations. If LCM said it it had to be true because God told him so. But no one bothered to ask God if it was true.

Nice kick to the gut there.

Yes, many of us did suppress that still, small voice and, for many of us, it was due to the pressure, yelling, intimidation and fear that we experienced. We got to be really good at second guessing ourselves and ignoring those red flags. Check out the archives some time if you want to see what we've shared about that. Some of us did come to the realization that that's what we were doing and that's why we're no longer in TWI....

We disagree. No biggie.

I saw the book Angels Of Light mentioned in an earlier post.

I read that book back in the 1970s.

It was part of the bookstore assortment available at the Advanced Class.

The premise for the title was II Cor. 11:14&15

" And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."

" Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works."

The book was written by someone who had been involved in seances, tarot cards, spirit readings, etc. and then converted to Christianity.

According to the author, there are spirits that present themselves as having benevolent motives but have sinister plans instead, including leading people unwittingly into new birth by the "wrong seed".

Supposedly they present a front of goodness in order to ensnare their victims. I believe it was in this book that there was elaboration on the seed of the serpent. I think VPW may have even used passages from this book when he taught that subject.

He did not use this book to teach that devil spirits could be recognized by the five senses.

He used it to illustrate that people could look righteous, act religious, do good works and present an overall "clean" appearance while at the same time be actually motivated by devil spirits or even be " born of the wrong seed."

(Hence: angels of light)

He went on to say that many of the great historical figures, religious leaders and people in the world today who appear to be benevolent are actually "angels of light".

He said that great religious leaders fell into this category as did great humanitarians.

The purpose of the book was not so much to identify devil spirits but rather to dissuade people from participating in seemingly harmless spiritual activities.

Personally, the only thing I got out of it was a feeling of paranoia and distrust for people who were actually involved in doing good things for their fellow man.

It (the book) also served to widen the chasm between us (TWI) and them (other religions who were involved in good works) by creating an air of suspicion about them.

Edited by waysider

Never heard of the book "Angels of Light". Seeing as how my ex and I had just about every book TWI sold, they must not have been selling it in the '90's.

Belle I think it was well before your time, It was required reading for the Advanced class at one time. There was a section of the AC exam on the book at the time. I 'm not sure they sold them in the bookstore I seem to remember that I had to dig one up at the local bookstore, but they may have had some at International at some point. At least it was more interesting than that snoozer class Basic Keys to Research that Donna Randal taught which we also had to take.

Probably not David I think they dropped most of the requirements for that one My personal opinion it was very different than the usual Advanced Classes it was about Getting numbers (ie money) not quality in teaching. It was a very scaled down version at least from my POV.

Edited by WhiteDove

Probably not David I think they dropped most of the requirements for that one My personal opinion it was very different than the usual Advanced Classes it was about Getting numbers (ie money) not quality in teaching. It was a very scaled down version at least from my POV.

Yup. Rules and Regs as far as *requirements* were kinda glossed over.

I think you're right. Numbers was what counted (for that class).

I could be wrong -- but the push was on for any and all to attend.

Gosh, just the mention of the the test for the Advanced Class. I forgot all about that. That was crazy to take a test to determine if you were able to go to the Advanced Class. I remember it taking a whole day. Then when I got to the class, I wondered how some of those people made it. I guess that was just my own arrogance based on that stupid test. I'm glad I forgot most of that crap now. :biglaugh:

Gosh, just the mention of the the test for the Advanced Class. I forgot all about that. That was crazy to take a test to determine if you were able to go to the Advanced Class. I remember it taking a whole day. Then when I got to the class, I wondered how some of those people made it. I guess that was just my own arrogance based on that stupid test. I'm glad I forgot most of that crap now. :biglaugh:

Actually,

to one mode of thinking,

it makes a lot of sense to have a test before an "Advanced" class.

The point would logically be that the material presented would be "advanced",

and with limited availability of seating and the committment of the person

taking it, it is logical to ensure that the new student is sufficiently grounded

in the foundational level of discussion, and ready to delve into new material,

or old material in an entirely different manner.

So, it makes sense that written "Home Studies", say, be required, or that the

previous 2 levels be taken at least twice. Or that an exam be given.

What makes a lot LESS sense is that the exam wasn't BINDING.

There was no issued grade, no "pass/fail" nor "Acceptable, Exceeds Expectations, etc"

nor any other descriptor. As I was told-in writing- having sat thru it was

sufficient to tell me what I needed to focus on until then.

(Which was correct in my case-the only thing I didn't buzzsaw through was a

set of number & letter references concerning "holy spirit', which was a completely

artificial system that was nonetheless duplicated in the Ready-Reference

glued into the back of my Bible. So I didn't NEED to focus on anything further.)

There SHOULD have been a scoring system, and a score beyond which you needed

to retake a test and try again for another class. In hindsight, the practical upshot

of me taking that test was to give me a confident feeling about my preparation level,

and to give me another hoop to jump through.

I don't know if either actually was intended. (Could have been both, neither, or either.)

======

Oh, and when I was AT the AC, another student had a copy of that book, and was

reading exerpts from it. One of the warning signs (I read over his shoulder) of

occult or demonic activity was denial of the Trinity. Given the context of this

statement, it was amusing- much moreso for the other guy than me, he just was

amused as heck.

[quote 'WordWolf'

Actually,

to one mode of thinking,

it makes a lot of sense to have a test before an "Advanced" class.

The point would logically be that the material presented would be "advanced",

and with limited availability of seating and the committment of the person

taking it, it is logical to ensure that the new student is sufficiently grounded

in the foundational level of discussion, and ready to delve into new material,

or old material in an entirely different manner.

So, it makes sense that written "Home Studies", say, be required, or that the

previous 2 levels be taken at least twice. Or that an exam be given.

What makes a lot LESS sense is that the exam wasn't BINDING.

There was no issued grade, no "pass/fail" nor "Acceptable, Exceeds Expectations, etc"

nor any other descriptor. As I was told-in writing- having sat thru it was

sufficient to tell me what I needed to focus on until then.

(Which was correct in my case-the only thing I didn't buzzsaw through was a

set of number & letter references concerning "holy spirit', which was a completely

artificial system that was nonetheless duplicated in the Ready-Reference

glued into the back of my Bible. So I didn't NEED to focus on anything further.)

There SHOULD have been a scoring system, and a score beyond which you needed

to retake a test and try again for another class. In hindsight, the practical upshot

of me taking that test was to give me a confident feeling about my preparation level,

and to give me another hoop to jump through.

I don't know if either actually was intended. (Could have been both, neither, or either.)

======

Oh, and when I was AT the AC, another student had a copy of that book, and was

reading exerpts from it. One of the warning signs (I read over his shoulder) of

occult or demonic activity was denial of the Trinity. Given the context of this

statement, it was amusing- much moreso for the other guy than me, he just was

amused as heck.

WW did you not ever get your score back from your exam? You should have had a percent score for each part and a overall % for the test. I know some people who were advised to wait at times and retest the next year. I took the exam in 75 or 76 but as you said I did not feel I did as well as I wanted to and declined to take the class. Silly me I thought that I would be better prepared with some additional learning. It was years later we were talking about it one day when we were doing the Advanced Class Grad Meetings /training for the state. I mentioned it to Jonny Townsend he told me that my scores would have been perfectly acceptable and in likelyhood were better than most who probably took it. What a goof I was , I really wanted to be at the best level of understanding to receive the most from the class. He thought it was pretty funny that I thought I did not do well on the test.

They always said that the scores were an indicater VP to which areas to teach more on , but I have my doubts that it really was the case. I don't recall much time difference between subjects in various classes ever changing. Maybe in some of the early classes that may have been the case.

Edited by WhiteDove

WW did you not ever get your score back from your exam? You should have had a percent score for each part and a overall % for the test. I know some people who were advised to wait at times and retest the next year. I took the exam in 75 or 76 but as you said I did not feel I did as well as I wanted to and declined to take the class. Silly me I thought that I would be better prepared with some additional learning. It was years later we were talking about it one day when we were doing the Advanced Class Grad Meetings /training for the state. I mentioned it to Jonny Townsend he told me that my scores would have been perfectly acceptable and in likelyhood were better than most who probably took it. What a goof I was , I really wanted to be at the best level of understanding to receive the most from the class. He thought it was pretty funny that I thought I did not do well on the test.

They always said that the scores were an indicater VP to which areas to teach more on , but I have my doubts that it really was the case. I don't recall much time difference between subjects in various classes ever changing. Maybe in some of the early classes that may have been the case.

No, I never got my scores back. However, in my PARTICULAR case, they weren't exactly

critical information. My exam was composed of 3 parts, each of which had 90 minutes

alloted to it.

Part I: Foundational class

Part II: Foundational-class collaterals

Part III: Greek word-study

Part I I completed very quickly. I was only limited by how fast I could write the answers.

With the exception of the Ready-Reference part- which was arbitrary-

I was done, and had triple-checked my scores before I announced I was completely done.

That was 27 minutes into the 90 minutes.

Part II I completed fast, but not QUITE as fast. I actually had to think over a number of

answers. I still completed it confidently and within 45 minutes (triple-checking again.)

Part III I deliberately fitted to nearly the entire 90 minutes. I liked to do Greek word-studies,

and this was the first time I was TIMED for one. So, I paced myself to match the timeframe,

and enjoyed it.

Frankly, I enjoyed the exam, and could have kept going for another section or two when

we were done.

So, in my PARTICULAR case, it wasn't that important, since I really did know the material

on the exam cold. (Except for the Ready Reference.)

===============

As to the exams being an indicator of what to teach more on, I seriously doubt that.

Remember, this is the same man who also said that he laid out subjects so well that

if there was a problem, it was in the student, not his teaching method, since that came

from his abilities, which came from God.

That strikes me more as someone filling in a likely explanation later. I heard a number

of those back in twi, myself- such as how lcm was chosen.

It occurs to me that this was certainly POSSIBLE- I've used feedback on things to

do a post-mortem and find areas to focus improvement for later-

but I don't think he in particular was doing that.

It's even possible he said that at some point, and just never followed up on it.

WW when did you take it? I took it in '84 and there were several separate tests. Pfal book, hs book, jcing, adan, pfal collaterals, and research keys. You had to really bomb the whole test to not be allowed to take it. In '83 in STL only one person from the entire metro area went to the AC, so the next year somebody from the corps held AC candidate meetings monthly and that year more than 10 of us went.

I didn't do well in the research part, but I got 98 out of 100 in the pfal book test and 116 out of 120 in the hs book test. They sent us our test scores.

I took the AC in 1973.

I don't remember taking any special exam.

Of course, I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday either.

If I did take it, it must not have made a very big impression on me.

We did have to complete the home studies and there was a long list of classes that had to be completed before acceptance.

There was also a questionnaire that had to be completed. I don't recall the contents.

There was a seperate table at the bookstore, during the AC, where all the non-Way materials, such as Angels Of Light, were sold.

For a while, these books were also available in the branch bookstore(Cleveland) but only available to AC grads.

The purpose of reading the book was to encourage the reader not to have any involvement with anything "spiritual" no matter how good it appeared to be. In other words, if you didn't hear it from TWI, it's probably "from the pit". That was a popular expression used to describe activities that appeared wholesome, but, supposedly, were rooted in devil spirits.

"Devil spirits that do good works" would be another way to put it.

Edited by waysider

I took it in '86. There was an exam over PFAL and the col laterals. I think the Int. class was included. It was a long exam and dreaded by some.

I don't remember Angels of Light, but I did have The Challenging Counterfeit, which I think I bought at the ADV class bookstore.

I don't know if LCM's Advanced classes required a test, but by then there were almost no new people anyway--all old grads taking those.

I remember my test for the Adv class like it was yesterday! It was open book (bible), and so with a little help from a freind........................

who just happend to take it the week before, told me the jist of everything on it.

So, with my little itty bitty writing, and blank pages........I copied down all pertinent info from JCING, ADAN, RHST, PFAL...............and more!

I remember these questions: When was the King James put together-? 1611

Name the 4 gospels.....................duh..............of course my roomie at the time had to ask me the answer to that one.

I passed with a very high score (nudge nudge)

ok, so back to fairies................................... :biglaugh:

I took the Advanced class in 1975. I don't remember taking an exam, but I was in Fellow Laborers of Ohio and much of that time is a blur of confusion, caused no doubt by overwork and exhaustion.

I do definitely remember other people coming to Limb during that two years to take the exam. I remember that because we FLO's were working that Saturday and were strictly forbidden, under any circumstances, to enter the limb building after the exam had started. Of course, we were not informed of that happy fact until AFTER we had had three cups of coffee with our delicious familia breakfast. So we couldn't go inside to pee or anything.

Nice.

WG

I took the Advanced class in 1975. I don't remember taking an exam, but I was in Fellow Laborers of Ohio and much of that time is a blur of confusion, caused no doubt by overwork and exhaustion.

I do definitely remember other people coming to Limb during that two years to take the exam. I remember that because we FLO's were working that Saturday and were strictly forbidden, under any circumstances, to enter the limb building after the exam had started. Of course, we were not informed of that happy fact until AFTER we had had three cups of coffee with our delicious familia breakfast. So we couldn't go inside to pee or anything.

Nice.

WG

Say!

This breakfast looks really "familia".

HeeHeeHee.

Remember wheat berries?

What in Heaven's name were those things, anyway?

Sorry. That was off topic.

Back to the topic of fairies.