GreaseSpot Cafe

The Evil Internet

potato

something Belle said reminded me of when LCM went off on the internet and how evil it is. as a SAHM, I went looking on the internet for a a job in the late 90s and actually landed myself a sweet writing gig working over the net.

one day, my then-husband came home and told me that our FC told him that I should stop working on the internet.

did anyone else get the trickle-down on that teaching?

something Belle said reminded me of when LCM went off on the internet and how evil it is. as a SAHM, I went looking on the internet for a a job in the late 90s and actually landed myself a sweet writing gig working over the net.

one day, my then-husband came home and told me that our FC told him that I should stop working on the internet.

did anyone else get the trickle-down on that teaching?

HA! IF there HAD BEEN an internet before I left TWI, I'm sure I would have been one of those rebelious ones checking it out anyway.

The last year I was in, a roommate and I bought a PC together, got a loan, for $1,500 for a machine that didn't even have a hard drive. It had two floppy drives and there were SOME local BBS (bulletin board) sites that we could dial up with our modem that probably didn't go faster than 1.2Kbs.

I graduated from Arizona State in 1986 (at the ripe old age of 31, thank you very much twi) and barely learned how to work with LOTUS 1-2-3 spreadsheets before I earning that degree in accounting.

Left twi only about 3 months after I graduated. and NEVER regretting leaving.

I've heard bits and pieces of LCM's speal on the devil working through the internet or something. I can't recall all the details but I do *think* he said you can get possessed on it or something...not sure.

Yeah he did! I got confronted directly by Angel@ C@pillary, my hfc, because Miki T@te, an alleged "friend", turned me in for looking at stuff about TWI on the internet. It's also why I was scared sh1tless after finding WayDale and being unable to turn it off. I just knew I was getting possessed and everyone in TWI knew it - especially @ngela and the Moynihans. :ph34r:

I have notes on all the evils of the internet, but not the time or inclination to look for them tonight.... maybe this week-end I'll dig 'em out.

Craig was afraid of the internet, but moreso, he was afraid of microwave ovens... that was a rant during the Y2K preparations that had me biting my lip to keep from laughing during his tirade at a very serious meeting regarding our preparations and who was gonna go where when all hell broke loose, but that's a story for another day....

Craig was afraid of the internet, but moreso, he was afraid of microwave ovens

:biglaugh:

Normally, to get a psychology degree practically ANYWHERE.. a person has to pass at least one science type of class.. most places two..

Physics I, Physics II.. or Geology or something.. Chemistry I maybe.

maybe they made an exception for the loyster.. or vic beat any real kind of logic out of him decades prior to this.

What did he think? That the oven made the food radioactive or something? Most people know that unless you're dealing with gamma rays, or some seriously accelerated particles, all it's gonna do is "wiggle" the molecules in the food a little, not unlike heating over an open fire.

Maybe he heard the "beep, beep, beep" at the end of a cook cycle, and thought the thing was possessed..

:biglaugh:

Normally, to get a psychology degree practically ANYWHERE.. a person has to pass at least one science type of class.. most places two..

Physics I, Physics II.. or Geology or something.. Chemistry I maybe.

maybe they made an exception for the loyster.. or vic beat any real kind of logic out of him decades prior to this.

What did he think? That the oven made the food radioactive or something? Most people know that unless you're dealing with gamma rays, or some seriously accelerated particles, all it's gonna do is "wiggle" the molecules in the food a little, not unlike heating over an open fire.

Maybe he heard the "beep, beep, beep" at the end of a cook cycle, and thought the thing was possessed..

He probably passed on some science class or other, but they just didn't cover microwave ovens.

Microwave ovens is a subject where I'm reminded of the saying that "A LITTLE learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again." (Alexander Pope.)

lcm was the Poster Boy for shallow draughts at the spring of knowledge.

Plus microwave ovens have been targets of urban legends for a long time- and twi was a great place to accumulate

urban legends. I'd heard several when I was in, passed along as if the person was an eyewitness to something

they passed along. (Nowadays, it's SO easy to disprove them.)

Microwave ovens use radiation to cook food.

So does a campfire, just in a different wavelength and frequency.

How do microwave ovens work?

Pick your link.

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae379.cfm

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/microwave.html

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents...wave_ovens.html

http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/...x.html?quid=163

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/radiationprotect...s_Microwave.cfm

One of the most common myths is that it "cooks food from the inside-out".

Many of you've proven otherwise, cooking something and finding the insides still cold.

Mythbusters did it too, just to make it official.

Then again, some of the companies have been spreading this one around.

Check out this article- then check out the replies!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/22/sanyo-a...ih-oven-hybrid/

"Dubbed the Enegreen, the oven doesn't simply offer two ways to cook your food, instead putting both cooking technologies to use simultaneously, with the IH component cooking food from the outside in and the microwave cooking from the inside out. Supposedly, that'll translate to about an 85% reduction in cooking times"

The replies:

"What a scam. Microwaves don't "cook from the inside out", but rather "outside in" just like any other form for heating."

"Since when does a microwave cook from the inside out? Haven't you ever seen Mythbusters?"

"Microwaves cooking from the inside out is a myth from the 70's, and I've seen it on Engadget before.

Try heating something frozen in the microwave. The outside gets boiling hot while the inside is still frozen."

Plus microwave ovens have been targets of urban legends for a long time- and twi was a great place to accumulate

urban legends. I'd heard several when I was in, passed along as if the person was an eyewitness to something

they passed along. (Nowadays, it's SO easy to disprove them.)

I guess the only way to protect the urban legends that doctrine was built on was to keep people from having access to information. it's also easier to protect your exclusivity to information so as to appear to have invented or obtained by revelation that which you pass your subordinates.

LCM had to eat crow on his opinions about microwaves. While I was on Staff at HQ, it was mandatory to get your microwave tested to be sure it wasn't leaking any microwaves. They had guys from one of the departments who would go to each room or home and test the microwaves. Later a guy on staff had written a letter to him explaining how microwaves work and that they weren't really dangerous. LCM's response was "Well, you can't be too careful." :rolleyes:

it's hard for me to respond here because the microwave is shooting devil beams in my head along with my cell phone

i just wanted to let you know there was no internet when i was in

but god i'm so glad there's one since i got gone

:evildenk:

ps. the prince of the power of the airwaves is keeping anyone from chatting with me

myseestorEx... please take off your halloween costume... please.

really excie, please. I got so creeped out just now. I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

A few things I remember on this:

He talked about the evil effects of the internet after the Columbine tragedy. Something about how it was enabling disturbed little nerds to access to information on weapons, ammunition, and so forth.

Regarding the ministry and all the criticism on the internet, he referenced Acts 28:22. "But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against." Everywhere Paul's ministry was spoken against - so we must be in good company! :rolleyes:

He rather famously "Marked and Avoided" anti-ministry websites.

Another time I heard him remark that the stuff on the Internet was either "not true or it's none of your business".

if I remember rightly, he did mention GS and prophesied that anyone reading it would become possessed

Anyone reading the GS would become possessed? After everything he had done and everything I read here then we are all saved, we should all considered that as a badge of honor! :biglaugh: