GreaseSpot Cafe

"Is Homosexuality a Sin?"

Eyesopen

I know that I have been absent or rather scarce for the last month or so but I have been busy completing the final edit on my book and publishing it!

The book is called "Is Homosexuality a Sin?" This is a question that bugged me a lot since leaving TWI but it didn't really become a quest until someone asked me to show her in the Bible where it was a sin. I could not do so to the satisfaction of either of us. So the quest began.

What I discovered about the verses that are used to prove the sin nature of homosexuality was revealing and quite surprising to me. I used a lot of secular as well as conventional biblical sources to study the verses, the times, the region, the people…just everything that I could think of to get a true understanding of what the Bible was saying. Some of the verses were quite vague and it took a lot of work to get to the bottom of things but I believe that I have done so.

This book has taken me the better part of three years to complete. And I am fully aware of the volatile nature of the topic. And I know that everyone has an opinion…so do I, but I'm asking you...please do not use this thread to debate the topic with me as I am not going to debate it here right now. My opinion is based upon a huge pile of information and I have condensed what I learned into 310 pages with 25 pages of bibliography. That is way too much information to put on a thread.

The book is available here:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=2081489

If you click on the book title you can read an excerpt of it. I am aware that some of the first chapter reads a lot like PFAL but only because of the verses used and some of the information is the same. But it is not going the same place. For fellow 'Spotters' I changed the excerpt to only contain part of chapter 2 in the soft cover version, the hard cover should still have the forward and part of chapter 1.

I do not control the prices but I think that I have made it into a wide enough range of mediums so the prices can accommodate everyone.

If after reading my book you find errors or have questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I also have a web site that can give you a bit more information about me. This is my website. It is not designed solely to accommodate this book but as I finish others they will be added as their own page.

http://www.itstime4truth.com

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered your book and it came a few days ago. I'm in the middle of reading another series of books right now, but will get to yours pretty soon, I hope. Am interested to learn about your research results.

PurpleDays (who will bring her copy to the BBQ for a personal autograph!)

I ordered your book and it came a few days ago. I'm in the middle of reading another series of books right now, but will get to yours pretty soon, I hope. Am interested to learn about your research results.

PurpleDays (who will bring her copy to the BBQ for a personal autograph!)

Thank you for purchasing my book! And of course I will autograph it for you, it will be my pleasure!

From the first paragraph of your website....

This site is dedicated to those that want to know the truth and to those who are brave enough to accept it and act upon it.

Sorry, won't be buying your book. Frankly, I'm tired of people claiming to know the truth and implying that I'm a coward if I don't listen to them. Been there, done that, older and wiser now.

Waysider, believe me I never set out to write a book...but when i got into it I had to start writing it all down or I would get really lost. And my friend still wanted an answer...Never in my life did I ever imagine writing a book. That idea was a distant dream that I once had as a child in middle school. But I hear you its a lot of work...And thank you for your congatulations!

From the first paragraph of your website....

Sorry, won't be buying your book. Frankly, I'm tired of people claiming to know the truth and implying that I'm a coward if I don't listen to them. Been there, done that, older and wiser now.

Well Jim...Forgive me for being so blunt but...I dont care if you buy my book.

Funny the quote says nothing about me claiming that I actually had the truth, I only dedicated the site to those that want the truth etc...such as my self...hence my research into something that I thought I had the answer too prior to researching. I found out that I did not know the truth and I do not claim to have it all now..but perhaps I have a taste because I do seek to find it.

Furthermore, I am not in any way trying to convince you of anything or sell you anything. All I did was share my joy at completing a very involved project with my fellow greasespotters. If you do not share that joy then sorry...and your sinicism does not phase me one bit. Have a great night!

It's ironic Jim --

that the song I'm listening to right now on the http://www.worldwidebluegrass.com station

is called *You Gotta Do What You Gotta Do* by the Bluegrass Addiction group.

Perhaps you might give a listen to that song, and THEN make a comment. :)

As someone who has a sister who is of the lesbian persuasion, AND (if I may add),

a *type A* personality (i.e. --- read *in your face* attitude) all the time about things like this:

I will have no problem ordering the book, reading it, and sharing what I might glean from it.

I don't give a ratzz you-know-what if there are *docvic-ism's* in it's intro

(though I suspect there will be few -- given the small amount I've read here so far).

There are only so many words to describe (and promote) a person's work,

and if the choice of words offends you, based on a past experience;

I'll agree with Eyes -- save your money. With a closed mind like that ---

You won't get anything from the book.

If she put 25 pages of bibliography at the end of it -- that's more than docvic ever did.

She said she spent 3 years on it -- and I'm guessing without a *research staff*.

Ya know -- I have to go this route --- sorry, but it begs the question:

Where were you in your book *critiques* earlier when two other books were announced here at GSC?

Stephen Spencer was promoting a book by Paddy Heron called

The Nephilim and the Pyramid of the Apocalypse;

and then later one by himself entitled -----

The Genesis Pursuit (The Lost History Of Jesus Christ)

Perhaps you missed those posts, and the ensuing discussion that revolved around Stephen's recommendations of both of those books as something worth *considering*.

And --- *worth considering* was all that was mentioned. Same as in this case.

Like the song says that I was listening to -- You do what ya gotta do.

If you can't do that -- that's cool (I guess).

Waiting to read your scholastic endeavour (should it ever happen),

and I'll give it the same read as I will this one.

Edited by dmiller

Where does it say I have to comment on any book? I don't. I took the time to read her webpage because I *might* be interested in its content and her book. And because of her previous posts, I felt she might have some interesting insight. The other two books that you mentioned are of no interest to me.

Her book might be quite good. Unfortunately, my reaction to her website, and I'll admit that it's *my* reaction and it might not be reality, that there's an absolute truth in these matters and you're a coward if you choose not to seek it with her. That's the way I read it. Words are powerful tools and having been offered "the truth" more than once, I'm at the point where anyone who offers or implies possession of the truth is suspect. If that isn't the message her website intends to present, perhaps it should be changed. Or not. Free country.

In any case, all of us are entitled to our opinions.

Well, Eyes, having read the exerpt from your website, I see you include adultery and other behavior in the same category and make the point that we don't wave banners outside divorce courts.

You know what? You're right. We don't get all het up - because we have become used to adultery as "normal" behavior. A century or two ago it would have been considered deviant and therefore punishable.

I do believe homosexuality is wrong. But: I'm not a flagwaving anti-homo such as was taught by LCM in his spit-sessions. We are all wrong in many facets of our lives (what about pride, arrogance, "knowing it allness," to mention a few?). We just try to line up better each day. God accepts us complete with imperfections and knowing that we are steeped in sins some of which we consider heinous and some of which we think of as, perhaps, "white lies" but which are all short of the standard God seeks.

The minister at the church I now attend gave a wonderfully tender answer when someone asked how we should behave towards homosexuals. He said that we should make sure we look at the individual and consider his or her needs; that homosexuality was just another sin like so many other sins we all commit; and that we shouldn't make a big deal of it. Those who seek deliverance, seek deliverance, not rejection.

I have met homosexuals who are more pleasant and honest than some folks at TWI and far more willing to help with nothing to gain from it.

Do we stop being friends with someone because they tell a lie? Or are proud? Or are fearful? Or are shortfused about something? Or have an affair with someone else's spouse? Or, or, or... Or do we enjoy the things we can enjoy and leave the contentious things to one side?

Anyway - well done with the book. It is always good to research, study and find out not be spoonfed.

Edited by Twinky

Thank you everyone for your congratulations. I really appreciate your support your opinions and your comments.

Jim I am sorry if you got the wrong impression from my website, you are the only one so far.

DMiller your post made me smile and laugh a bit. I hope when you read it you find something of worth in its pages.

Ron G what you said means a lot, thanks!

Twinky I do appreciate your point of view and your reaction to my book. It is honest and pleasant. Thank you for your support in my endeavors to grow and learn beyond TWI.

Okie city WOW Thank you!

Cool Chef Thanks it was a huge deal to me to finish it. But in reality it is never truly finished as more and more insite is always coming forward and I suspect that I will be revising the manuscript quite often. But most of the major stuff is done...whew!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to even take a look at my web site or at my store front. :)

Ok, so I have recieved my first two reviews.

The first was recieved from a strange source. My grand niece, of whom I have temporary custody, asked to read my copy of the book. Not to deny a child when they actually ask to read something I told her to go ahead and read it. I assumed she would take it to her room and read it in her spare time. But no, she took it to school. One of her friends saw it and began reading it. Apparently she became so involved in the book that she did not want to play during lunch. Her review, "It's easy to read and I can understand it. It's good!" Coming from a thirteen year old that is high praise indeed!

The second review came from a friend of my roommates mother. She purchased the book on the recommendation of my roommate via her mom. Her review, "I'm impressed! Thank you!"

Just to keep you all up dated..have a great day! :)

Edited by Eyesopen

Well congrats on the completion of your book from me too! I can only imagine how it must feel to wait with bated breath for the reviews.

The most recent book I've read is Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs. So I spose this book of yours will be a good followup. ;)

Congadulations on the book Eyesopen,

I hope things go well for you. It is a big topic that you've picked and I hope that people are blessed too.

Congrats on your book. Writing a book is one of those things that I want to do someday, but haven't made the time for. Seeing a fellow GSer get published allows me to live vicariously through you! ^_^

But you know, your line about those who want to know the truth and brave enough to act upon it hit me the same way it did Jim. But then I thought about it and realized that all those folks who want to know the truth will be soon lining up outside my door, since I'm the one who has the truth. I'd better go bake some cookies for 'em. :dance:

Edited by Oakspear

Ex 10- I think you may be right...it sounds like an appropriate train of thought. I'm going to have to look into Magical Thinking. :biglaugh:

Jeffso -Thanks for the encouragement. I am finding that writing the book was the easy part. Marketing it...now that is a pickle. <_<

Oak- I'll look into revising that line or something. It really wasn't meant to imply that I knew everything or had the all truth but I do have cookies...does that count? :unsure:

I'll keep plugging along and see what I come up with. This is all new territory for me.

Love ya'll and thanks again!

so this is a thread about a book, but no one is allowed to comment on the content of the title...

and you don't want any discussion about the content, but simply want to promote the book...

well, okay, i guess...

except i wouldn't exactly go to secular sources to find out whether "homosexuality" is a sin or not...

and i'm not sure why it took close to 3 years to research this question...

i don't think i need to read a book to find the answer to this question... i think the bible already has answered it very clearly...

p.s. lest someone accuse me of being a "homophobe" or hating homosexuals, let me just state (for the record) that i neither fear them nor hate them...

so this is a thread about a book, but no one is allowed to comment on the content of the title...

and you don't want any discussion about the content, but simply want to promote the book...

well, okay, i guess...

except i wouldn't exactly go to secular sources to find out whether "homosexuality" is a sin or not...

and i'm not sure why it took close to 3 years to research this question...

i don't think i need to read a book to find the answer to this question... i think the bible already has answered it very clearly...

p.s. lest someone accuse me of being a "homophobe" or hating homosexuals, let me just state (for the record) that i neither fear them nor hate them...

I believe what I said was this "please do not use this thread to debate the topic with me as I am not going to debate it here right now" you can debate amongst yourselves all you like. And if you read my views, hence my book and then wish to address me in debate now knowing what I believe and how I reached that belief then I will be more than happy to engage you in discussion.

And no it is not to promote a book I was simply sharing my joy of finally publishing a book with some friends and family here on GS. Giving information about it, how it came to be and where they could find it and more information seemed like an appropriate thing to do.

Having read several of your threads in various forums on several subjects I have no problem believing that you cannot see "why it took close to 3 years to research this question" and unfortunately many people think as you do "i think the bible already has answered it very clearly" on a great many subjects.

And as for this comment, "i don't think i need to read a book to find the answer to this question" you are absolutely correct. Because if you have already made up your mind nothing as small or insignificant as a book is going to change it.

Have a nice night! :)

Edited by Eyesopen

BTW for those that were having some trouble with my website...I have removed the paragraph and done some other updating. It should be clearer and less abrasive now. Thanks for the feedback.

Congratulations Eyesopen upon the publication of your book.

Have you considered including among your excerpts at your website the table of contents to your work?

I know Amazon usually provides these in their excerpts, which allows readers and prospective buyers

a better sense of what is actually covered in a work.

Danny

hey eyesopen,

i'm not trying to rain on your parade...

and i have no idea what's in your book... and whether you have come to the conclusion that homosexuality IS a sin

OR whether you have decided that homosexuality is NOT a sin...

personally, i just don't think the bible is all that hard to understand (especially on this subject)...

it's really not a matter of me already having "made up my mind"...

i don't try to read into the bible, and pick and choose things to agree with me...

i let the bible speak for itself...

and i just really don't find it all that difficult...

i really do not want to buy and read a book in order to engage someone in discussion on a message board...

so i guess i will never know what you believe about this subject... LOL

but, hey, that's okay too... :)

God Bless,

jen-o

[edited to add smiley face... cuz you can never have too many smiley faces] :)

Edited by jen-o