GreaseSpot Cafe

My gripe of the day

RottieGrrrl

How is it that NASA in Houston can clearly communicate with astronauts in outer space but in the drive-thru it is many times impossible. There needs to be some sharing of technology. Then again, it could be encounters like Jim had.

Personally --- I love fast food joints.

Do I eat there??? No.

Do I take advantage of them??? Yes.

Next to the CB radio and the 1/2 gallon thermos for coffee,

they help speed up highway travel faster than anything I know.

Say you're out on the highway, and you have to use the bathroom.

One exit ahead --- there's a McDonald's (i.e. --- read public bathroom).

I'll be there in the right lane getting ready to exit.

Each and every McDonald's has the bathroom in the same exact place.

so do Hardees, and Arby's, and a muliplicity (sowwy!) of other franchises.

And you don't have to buy anything to go in and use it!

Occasionally I consider buying their food. Usually I just use *the facilities*! ;)

Edited by dmiller

Rottie,

I've lived in many states in the U.S., but I've never heard of a "slider" before. What in the world is that? It makes me think of a slug or something else gross, but I really doubt you'd be eating that.

white_castle.jpg

Sliders are mini-burgers.(You buy them by dozen or 1/2 dozen)

They are square and have holes in them to facilitate the steam cooking process.

They are cooked on a grill on top of reconstituted onions.

Yum---Just the thing to settle your stomach at 4am after a long night of painting the town red. :wacko:

white_castle.jpg

Yum---Just the thing to settle your stomach at 4am after a long night of painting the town red. :wacko:

Thanks. I've eaten at White Castle when I lived in Ohio, but I didn't know that was the proper name for their burgers. Although I was too young to think about this when I lived there, if we had something like that around here, it would seem like perfect early morning hangover food. Instead, we have 24 hour taquerias, breakfast places, and asian food.

I ate White Castle sliders at 1 am , while I was cleaning office buildings in the middle of the night in Columbus, Ohio. I assumed that 'slider' was not a positive term for them, thinking it as good a description as any for it's effects on the digestive system. I liked those 'onion chips' on the side.

All this talk of fast food makes me hungry, though I gave up 99 % of it 2 years ago, and have lost over 40 lbs as a result. I lived on the stuff from college until then, and it was kind of like breaking an addiction. (Nothing like the anguish I went through giving up cigarettes though !) I said 99%, because I did eat an egg mcmuffin last month, and admit it tasted pretty darn good.

Just got to tell you I LOVE these fast food stories. Thanks all for filling in Mr. P on what a slider is. And hey Shellon, I've been dying to seet that silly WC movie, thanks for the reminder, I'm going to put that in my que (spelling?) on Netflix. :)

Many years ago, while living in the Palmetto State, I went through a Wendy's drive-through on my lunch hour. I ordered a medium Diet and a baked potato with broccoli and cheese. The youngster on the other end promptly asked me "Would you like some French fries to go with that baked potato?" I paused, and asked "Why would I want French fries to go with a baked potato?" I could hear the raucous laughter of her fellow employees behind her. "I was gonna ax you if you wanted one of our new HOT DOGS to go with that baked potato!" She snapped defensively. "No thank you." I replied. "Drive around!" she snarled.

She practically threw my change, drink and takeout sack at me. Unfortunately I was laughing too by this time. But she got the last laugh by giving me a sour cream and chives bake potato, which I discovered when I returned to my office.

One of my favorite drive throughs is Tim Horton's, where they give Tim Bits to the canine crowd (with human's permission of course). The coffee is good and the sandwiches are too. (And the doughnuts, but we won't go there as I'm gonna start South Beach tomorrow).

WG

My favorite take out/drive thru is Dunkin Doughnuts or Honey-Do or Aroma Joe's - gotta have either an iced coffee or a hot coffee at all times.

The problem is that the dog LOVES coffee - he is the caffeinated corgi! (Like corgis need caffeine!) And the drink holders in the minivan are at just the right height! :biglaugh:

The only fast food I really like is Sonic - love their chili-cheese fries!

Edited by ChasUFarley

since #1 son works at Micky D's I have to stick up for the poor kids trying to learn about work, details of Cheese or not or whatever.

My son has been there 1 year and 4 months. He is now making 8.25 and hour. He's 16 - oh he's actually training his friends now becausee he has been promoted to CreW Trainer....read that as longest lasting slave of the underlings...But nonetheless, I am really proud of him and his is learing a lot working there actually. It has been great for a kid who didn't want to play HS sports or do Band. ( He plays drums though now---used to play Frenchy Horn)

He is a picky eater -- even at McDonalds -- all his Cheese Burgers are PLAIN with only cheese. He modifies just about everything on their Menu for himself and his sister.

Its kinda fun though - when he or one of his friends makes something for my daughter -- they always throw in a surprise..

Its not what you know - but who you know -- I have connections now - they don't mess up my order HAHA.

When we were living in the Palmetto State we were foster parents and one of my foster kids worked at Mickey D's. I had nothing but contempt for the "managers" who oversaw them. They were mean and hateful, only in their twenties themselves, but lording it over the hapless teens who served them like gods.

One evening I went to pick this girl up, and walked in as a manager, white, had a young black worker backed up against the counter screaming in her face: "Contrary to what you may think," she bellowed, "YOU ARE NOT IRREPLACEABLE!!!!!" The girl was of course in tears. I simply cruised past, collecting my foster child on the way out and said, in a VERY loud and CHEERFUL voice: "Boy, I sure am glad I don't have to work for that B****!" We just breezed right out the other door. My foster kid's eyes were as big as saucers. "I can't believe you said that! You don't know what she's like!" "Oh yes I do, and you let me know if she says anything to you about it."

End of story. The jerk manager eventually got moved to another McDonald's.

WG

We don't eat fast food that often, but I do love Sonic Burger. We have two in our town. Neither one can make an order right (Sonic Burger with Mayo, Tomatoe, and heavy pickle). It's so bad I have the District Manager's cell number on my cell. I've called him so many time only to have him offer free food. I told him I don't want free food, I want it RIGHT. It never happened. I stopped calling him, and I don't eat at Sonic as much. Their loss.....sigh. Customer Service has gone out the window.

white_castle.jpg

Oh yes...sliders (because they are so greasy, they slide your throat)...also called "rat burgers"...

There have been a few nights (after drinking more beer that I should have), we would get a "crave case"...24 sliders (rat burgers)...and snarf them down in about 15 minutes...the next day, NOBODY wanted to be standing next to you... :o

Several years ago I was in Florida for my son's wedding (I was the best man!). We were waiting for the rehearsal to start and decided we needed to make a food run to a nearby Subway's. My wife and stepdaughter went with me and my son asked me to get a sandwich and drink for him.

We ordered

• a "#2" (combo with sandwich, chips & a drink) for my stepdaughter
  • a salad for my wife
  • 2 sandwiches and 2 drinks for my son and I

When we got up front to pay we were missing one of the drinks. I pointed this out to the counter girl. Gritting her teeth, she pointed out that I had ordered only two drinks (Big Rule of Customer Service - just take care of the customer - don't point out why he is wrong). I pointed out to her that I had ordered two drinks and a #2 which included a drink.

With a straight face she countered with "I didn't know that you wanted a drink with that". (They just give you the cups, you fill it up with what you want at the fountain)

Amazed that a combo that included a drink might not really include a drink, or why I would have to ask for a drink when I ordered something that came with a drink I directed her attention to the menu board, which clearly showed that a "#2" included a drink.

In a tone of voice that indicated that she thought that I was the idiot, she informed me that not everybody wants a drink with that and that she would have to charge me extra. At this point I was irritated enough and hungry enough to pay whatever it took to escape from the madhouse, so I forked over the extra money. While I was doing this she was muttering about how I should have given her clearer instructions, to which I responded by asking her if she realized that I was the one paying her money for food and not the other way around.

At this she stepped back from the counter and threw up her arms in front of her as if to ward off a blow and yelled at me to "get my happy foot out of there".

Call the manager? She was the manager.

P.S. When I got home I contacted their regional office to complain and found out that not only do they have very good video surveillance, but audio as well and the whole thing was recorded.

She was fired.

At this she stepped back from the counter and threw up her arms in front of her as if to ward off a blow and yelled at me to "get my happy foot out of there".

HEY! How did come it doesn't read,

"get my happy foot out of there" ????

My... you ARE a wizard! :biglaugh::evildenk:

Edited... apparently you can't quote the magic.

Edited by doojable

well, after going in a picking up my son at 7 tonight-- he sits where I am patiently drinking MD's filtered water (which I do like) and he sits and says --Nobody can do anything right - Only me jason and Luis - (english is not his strength) and since he has some kind of authority he tells me all about who is doing what they are not supposed to be doing...

I guess the lesson in that is that it is on both sides of the window.

Edited by washn'wear