GreaseSpot Cafe

I Just Joined

kenwas

Hi! I'm kenwas. I'm 20 and I've always lived in MN. I was very happy to discover this site and forum because I'm a former TWI member who has experienced a lot of confusion over the past few years.

My parents joined TWI pretty soon after college (I don't know if they were already married or not). Mom was a former Lutheran and dad was a former Episcopalian. My sister and I were born into the group so I've never known anything else. I remember everyone in our various fellowships being really nice, but now that I've read other peoples' stories and other information about TWI, I can see that some of my experiences were a bit disturbing. Mostly, I remember being happy.

When I was nine, I developed a sense of purpose and felt really committed to the group. I imagined that someday I would marry a nice guy from TWI and that we would raise our kids in it. I always felt happy and spiritually fulfilled at fellowship.

One of the most negative memories I have is that I was terrified of praying in front of the whole fellowship. The teachers would always have the kids pray for the abundant sharing and that was usually my sister or me. I had a memorized prayer for that and I hated it. I looked up to people who could pray well but I was too shy.

The big shock came when I was a teenager. I noticed that my sister was losing interest and I freaked out and was really distressed. I was absolutely convinced that she was becoming an atheist or something. Then my dad stopped going, which distressed me even more as he was a great teacher and I looked up to him. My mom and I still went to fellowship, but our coordinators had to step down and so we were divided into separate groups. The one in which Mom and I were in was boring. That's why we stopped going. Seriously. I think if we had more charismatic teachers, we would still be in there. Of course, I was still committed to TWI so I felt like we were abandoning our faith.

When my parents told me they were looking for a church, I thought they were nuts. I remember praying for my whole family to find God again.

I went to college and became best friends with my roommate. We described our religious beliefs to each other and she said TWI sounded like a cult. I brushed that off, but I did gain a wider perspective of the world that year. In college, I became involved with a lot of internet communities like YouTube and LiveJournal and I learned a lot from other people. This April, out of curiosity, I looked up TWI on Wikipedia. The information on that page was shocking. I had never known any of it. Ever. I had no idea it was a cult (despite what my roommate said) and I had no idea there was all this scandal involved.

Today, I'm not in any religious group, though I'm still a Christian.

Anyways, that was long, but I'm very happy to be here and I'm eager to learn and share.

Welcome kenwas!

I am not skilled enough to post a pretty picture of coffee and a danish like some people here are.

I am glad you joined us here at the cafe. I was involved from the time I was 15. I left almost 3 years ago after realizing a few things. (A long story.) I really did NOT want to have to give a syrupy sweet 20 year speech at the next anniversary. By then I had started to see a few things and would have had to lie to say that I was blessed to be in twi.

Have fun looking around and meeting all of us. I love the variety of opinions and personalities here.

:dance:

Welcome kenwas! Glad you are with us. I was never joined the TWI, I am glad I never did. There are a lot of people who can help you and chat with. I have not told my story about how I was almost got duped, but will do so very soon. All I can tell you from my point of view. Is trust your instincts, from what I understand from this cult they teach to not to trust your instincts. An instinct is something you need to do long before you head figures it out. Happy to have you here!

Welcome, kenwas. So you're 20, eh? Finally, someone my age around here! I'm 19. I was never in TWI, but I came to this site looking for information. I have a very close friend who was also raised in TWI, and when she described it to me, I, like your roommate, thought it sounded like a cult. She and I have had a few discussions about our differing religious beliefs in the past, and the more I talked with her the more I got the feeling that she's involved in something that just...doesn't seem right. Every time we talk about religion, it always seems like she's trying to convince me that she's right. But enough about that. I came here for information, and I've learned a lot. I hope you do too.

Hope you enjoy it here! :)

~ Phil

Edited by Brushstroke

Hi! I'm kenwas. I'm 20 and I've always lived in MN.

There is no place where I've always lived, but for the last 28 years (not quite half of my life) I have been a stones throw from your state...well. if I could throw a stone about 12 miles. Thought I'd better stay hi before I went into hiding again.

I will spare you my wealth of opinions for now, except for one I dont think will get much argument. You don't have to be involved in a group to be a Christian. And, while this is not a Christian forum, I can at least speak for myself and pray that all goes well for you.

Welcome, you will find a lot of different opinions here and some that for the time being you may find difficult.

You might find it helpful to PM JavaJane, who is also a recent escapee who was raised in TWI. You can send a PM by clicking on the name, or looking under My Controls near the top of the page.

I'm new also. I have never been involved with TWI but I've learned that someone I knew in the past was/and or is involved. I'm trying to learn more about it so I have an understanding about it.

From what I've learned so far...the organization grew pretty fast until the death of Victor. When Marintdale took over things got bad. It appears that groups "splintered" off. Is it possible that some of these groups are worst than TWI? Are the fellowship easily accessible? Are they easy to find in bigger communities compared to small towns? Do members openly acknowledge being members in conversation or is it not talked about?

Thanks for all your input!

Hi! I'm kenwas. I'm 20 and I've always lived in MN. I was very happy to discover this site and forum because I'm a former TWI member who has experienced a lot of confusion over the past few years...

...I went to college and became best friends with my roommate. We described our religious beliefs to each other and she said TWI sounded like a cult. I brushed that off, but I did gain a wider perspective of the world that year. In college, I became involved with a lot of internet communities like YouTube and LiveJournal and I learned a lot from other people...

Welcome to Grease Spot, Kenwas! Gaining a wider perspective is such a big deal. Do you remember a line from PFAL – you can't go beyond what you are taught. If that were true, we'd never have discoveries, inventions, technological & medical advances, etc. TWI had so many manipulative ideas that suppressed our critical and creative thinking processes. And that's what's great about Grease Spot – you'll find such a wide variety of perspectives and experiences. A heck of a place for give & take. I look forward to reading your posts.

Also a hearty welcome to Bucks4now - speaking of perspective, I love it when we get input on Grease Spot from someone who wasn't involved with TWI. Many times it has been the feedback from someone untouched by TWI that has helped me to better understand my own experience.

[Penguin, I don't know if it will be of much help for posting pictures – but in the Testing forum, I have a thread where I share some technical tips – things I've figured out [i'm not a PC expert – just find out enough to get by], not saying they're all correct but they work for me. see link below]

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.ph...st&p=297563

Waitress, how about a round of cappuccinos for everybody

cappuccino-on-sunday.jpg

Edited by T-Bone

To everybody: Thanks for the kind words and support!

dmiller and T-Bone: Looks delicious!

T-Bone: Actually, I think the reason I didn't have much trouble adjusting is because I was pretty sheltered from the more horrible aspects of TWI. I've been reading other peoples' stories and it seems that the closer they got to the leaders, the worse their situations were. I only took one foundational class and I only went to headquarters once (not including the ROA, which ended when I was five). Our fellowships were like casual gatherings and I don't remember any major drama, even when I was older.

Of course, this made TWI look pretty positive in my eyes and it still did up until two months ago.

Yes, Kenwas – your experience fits into what I think of as the tale of two TWIs. There’s the Christian-like front experienced by folks on the lower rung of TWI’s hierarchy. These are folks who are not Corps, support TWI to some degree, take the classes, blah, blah, blah. Then there’s the folks who joined the Way Corps program, at first believing they are signing up for some altruistic reason. However, it is the nature of the beast to homogenize these poor souls into becoming a tool for its dark underbelly.

My wife, son, & I were in Family Corps 11. And you are right – for while in residence we got to experience first hand the legalism, the hypocrisy, the squelching of individuality, the suppression of thinking, and the manipulation & intimidation by fear. When we left in 86 – we wrote letters and made phone calls to folks who sponsored us explaining our concerns and doubts with TWI….and do you know what? For the most part, being just your average Joe believer – they couldn’t understand what our dilemma was all about. What’s even worse, is to think about the response of many of our fellow Corps around the time of the Passing of the Patriarch controversy – one couple said they’re running PFAL classes as much as possible. Yikes – the depth of indoctrination for some is kind of scary!

kenwas, welcome precious girl.

Remember your fellowship times. Not twi. My time in the way was mostly endearing because we were the local home fellowship that loved the Lord and wanted to do what was pleasing in His sight. My dearest, closest friends to this very day are the ones from my waydays. That has been over 30 years. Truly, hearts knit together in love supercedes an organization. The "organization" we are called to is the Body of Christ.

Like you, I never experienced or even remotely knew some of the stuff that folks talk about on this group. But that does not diminish their experiences. Nor does it diminish mine or maybe yours.

kenwas, welcome precious girl.

Remember your fellowship times. Not twi. My time in the way was mostly endearing because we were the local home fellowship that loved the Lord and wanted to do what was pleasing in His sight. My dearest, closest friends to this very day are the ones from my waydays. That has been over 30 years. Truly, hearts knit together in love supercedes an organization. The "organization" we are called to is the Body of Christ.

Like you, I never experienced or even remotely knew some of the stuff that folks talk about on this group. But that does not diminish their experiences. Nor does it diminish mine or maybe yours.

Thanks, kimberly. That's exactly how I felt. I liked fellowship a lot because of the people.

• 5 weeks later...

A little word of advice:

The Greasespot Cafe is filled with people at various stages of "recovery" from their experience. Some folks don't take kindly to any expression of positive feelings associated with TWI. Others would rather belittle you or deny your testimony if you have anything but the utmost respect for Wierwille and company. Between those extremes are a lot of people who totally understand that getting out is a process. Some of us have remained Christian and still hold many TWI-related beliefs. Others are in more traditional Christian churches, the kind TWI disparages. A handful are in other types of religions, non-Christian. And a bunch of people are atheists, too.

As you participate in these boards, maintain a positive, friendly attitude and you should get along fine. Take a good amount of time trying to be understood, but take twice as much time trying to understand.

Feel free to check back in here or with the moderators if you feel you want or need it.

I wish you well on your TWI recovery path.

kenwas,

We left nearly 20 years ago, when you were born, and yet we persisted with first one "splinter group" and then another for quite a while. Ultimately, your journey is your own, and whether you perceive it as "God's plan" or not, relationships and truth have a way of making their way into our hearts all by themselves. I have personal convictions that have caused me to remain Christian.

TBone's terminology about 2 TWI's strikes a chord with me. That which is pure, lovely, and of "good report" was what kept me "in" for so many years, and yet there has to be a reckoning for that which was unpure, unlovely, and of evil report.

Our three children are all in their 20's, and they all grew up "in the Way," because their mom and I were committed. But they've made their way (or, are making their way) according to their own convictions and commitment.

Note Raf's post well. This can be a rough place, even as evil as the worst of TWI. My prayer is that you are able to move forward with all that is pure (etc.) and find your salvation and liberty in due course.

Love and blessing,

Dan