GreaseSpot Cafe

is John W. Schoenheit a Way Corps Grad?

Hola Mex. Feliz Navidad. I know John worked with Walter Cummins on both JC Our Passover and JC Our Promised Seed. He attended Gordon Seminary in Charlotte,NC before moving to Indiana. As for WC, I have no idea. Someone else will have to tell you.

John also graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ... he was there when I was there. I know his sister, Sue Carlson, is a grad of the 6th Corps, but I am thinking that John was a grad of the 8th Corps. He was still living in Raleigh, NC and coordinating a Way Home when the 6th Corps was in residence.

John also graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ... he was there when I was there. I know his sister, Sue Carlson, is a grad of the 6th Corps, but I am thinking that John was a grad of the 8th Corps. He was still living in Raleigh, NC and coordinating a Way Home when the 6th Corps was in residence.

Well......I'm about 99% sure that John is a grad of the 6th corps.

• Upvote 1

Than you all and Happy New Year. During this days I been watching his Free Indeed Videos On Line and I think that he is wearing his way corps green ring. And as we know he is teaching how to be a work man of the word.

Since I never was in the Corps, I wouldn't know. Besides, unless you have a strong magnifying glass for details, it's hard to recognize. John may not have had a beard at the time. Anyway it would be over 30 years ago when that picture was taken.

I am pretty sure John is in the fifth row from the back, 3rd from the end on the right side of the picture.

You have to zoom in. To his left is a very tan blonde young lady, and to his right is a young lady with dark hair.

Right behind him is J***y Ca**ol in a plaid jacket. John is wearing a suit and tie and just a mustache.

In front of John are a young lady and young man, he is wearing a white suit.

Darrell B.

de nada, Feliz ano nuevo, Mex.

• 5 months later...

Darrell,

Have you ever known a guy in the 6th Corp by the name of Seth Weiss? He had a deformed right arm, and (pretty much) had a humorous and 'glad-to-know-ya' demeanor about him.

He was my W.O.W. branch leader when I was out WOW during 76-77, and I heard some rumors that he didn't complete the Corps program? Can you fill in the blanks as much as you can for me please?

Thanks! :)

Darrell,

Have you ever known a guy in the 6th Corp by the name of Seth Weiss? He had a deformed right arm, and (pretty much) had a humorous and 'glad-to-know-ya' demeanor about him.

He was my W.O.W. branch leader when I was out WOW during 76-77, and I heard some rumors that he didn't complete the Corps program? Can you fill in the blanks as much as you can for me please?

I knew Seth (I was in the 8th) and I don't recall him not completing. To be honest I don't recall him completing either but if memory serves me (and please - I am old and memory does indeed fail from time to time (like every 30 seconds)) the 6th lost pretty much all they were going to lose in their first and interim years. Since I remember Seth from in-rez it means he at least made it into his final year.

Still a gap for you Garth - but perhaps a little smaller now.

Darrell,

Hi Garth,

I do not remember Seth. But my memory had faded much since then.

Happy Trails,

Darrell Bailey

I am pretty sure John is in the fifth row from the back, 3rd from the end on the right side of the picture.

I thought John was higher up---second row from the top with a bright white shirt and light jacket and striped tie. He is surrounded by ladies all around except for one guy above him. He has glasses, a mustache and bushy black hair.

Anyone else have input?

• 3 months later...

Hi: As I said I want to know more about him and if he is a Way Corp?

John Schoenheit was a grad of the 6th Corps and a member of the research team from Aug. 1983 (at least) - Oct. 1986 when he got fired for writing the paper on adultery. I worked with him on the research team at HQ from Aug. 1984 - Aug. 1986. His focus was Old Testament history and Oriental customs. He taught classes on these topics to the Way Corps.

He often answered research-oriented letters from people who wrote to VP or Walter Cummins, the head of the research dept. Often his answers were published in the Way Magazine. He headed up the trip to the Bible Lands in Oct. 1985. His approach to interpreting the Bible is much the same as VPWs - fundamentalist in nature.

• Upvote 1

Does he have any biblical schooling other than TWI??? Answering letters sent to VPW is not exactly a place where one is challenged to consider his theology.

I just wonder if he's ever sat at the feet of scholars to debate or to learn?

If you Google his name, you'll find some info. I don't know whether he pursued a degree in Bible studies.

Does he have any biblical schooling other than TWI??? Answering letters sent to VPW is not exactly a place where one is challenged to consider his theology.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that he took courses in some sort of bible studies when in SC. Whether he completed a degree is another story. There was a period there when it seemed desirable to look into other methodologies and other schools of thought, but the tendency has been to hold on to TWI methods, because (quite frankly) ex-way people are STF's bread and butter.

IMO, it would have been beneficial to look into other methods and compare them to the TWI method and show the clear advantages. But then one runs into that pesky problem of the method really not being advantageous beyond supporting TWI's doctrinal stances.

At one point in the early-to-mid 90's, John worked toward a Master of Divinity degree at Reformed Theological Seminary in NC (not SC). I don't believe that he completed the degree, and I'm really not sure why, though I'm sure that his increased work and travel schedule with CES played some role. So yes, he has engaged with other scholars to debate and learn. At one point, both JWS and MG submitted papers to the Apologetic Research Coalition (ARC), and I know that this ended when the ARC cut off communication over doctrinal differences. Several years back John participated in a debate over the state of the dead on a live mainstream Christian talk radio show - I have heard the audio and will say that John handled it very well and the other gentleman was the one who tended to be mocking and derogatory. Finally, John has an excellent relationship with The Society for Biblical Studies (http://www.sbsedu.org/) and has worked with it's founder Peter Miano (who is an ordained Methodist minister and a trinitarian) to run multiple trips to Israel and one trip to Greece/Italy. I attended the "Footsteps of Paul" trip to Greece/Italy and sat in on quite a few excellent discussions/debates between John and Peter and always walked away blessed and enlightened by their mutual respect, not only for each other, but for God's written word.

There was a period there when it seemed desirable to look into other methodologies and other schools of thought, but the tendency has been to hold on to TWI methods, because (quite frankly) ex-way people are STF's bread and butter.

IMO, it would have been beneficial to look into other methods and compare them to the TWI method and show the clear advantages. But then one runs into that pesky problem of the method really not being advantageous beyond supporting TWI's doctrinal stances.

Taz, I have to take issue a bit with your statement here. Ex-way people USED to be STF's bread and butter, but that has been changing (albeit slowly) ever since the BU and TorT websites really took off. So, what you helped to start is actually helping to dilute the TWI influence, bit by bit. (Yes, I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. RM has worked very hard to make the sites what they are today, but there's no doubt that the initial idea and framework started with you.) By far, most of the new people coming onto the mailing list and coming to events are people who have no background with TWI, and for the most part have questioned mainstream theological teaching for years before finding the websites. My point here is that these "doctrinal stances" are in no way unique to TWI. You know me, and may remember that I do not have a background in TWI. I grew up in a Easter/Christmas Methodist family, attended Vacation Bible School as a kid, and all of my family members believe in the trinity and are very active in mainstream churches (Calvary Chapel and Baptist for my parents). My wife and I occasionally attend a large, local, non-denominational church, and LOVE it. Anyone who knows me understands that I have spent most of my life questioning my personal beliefs and arrived at my current set of theological beliefs after actively "trying on" many other belief systems. I can honestly say that my personal study of the Bible has lead me to many of the same conclusions as STF, and I'm not nearly the only one. Frankly, I could care less about TWI.

If there weren't new, non-TWI folks finding the websites, coming to events, etc., I would probably agree with your assertion. But it's just not that simple. :)

Taz, I have to take issue a bit with your statement here. Ex-way people USED to be STF's bread and butter, but that has been changing (albeit slowly) ever since the BU and TorT websites really took off. So, what you helped to start is actually helping to dilute the TWI influence, bit by bit. (Yes, I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. RM has worked very hard to make the sites what they are today, but there's no doubt that the initial idea and framework started with you.)

If there weren't new, non-TWI folks finding the websites, coming to events, etc., I would probably agree with your assertion. But it's just not that simple. :)

Thanks, Billy - you are the only person who has given me credit. My entire reason for wanting things the way I did was to dilute TWI influence.

Since I have not had any contact with the group since early 2005, I don't know the demographic of the average STF contributor. I do know that prior to that, all the big money came from ex-wayfers. Many of the partner profiles published in the Sower are from ex-way (the lingo gives them away) people.

Grace Community (isn't that where you go?) is a fabulous church.

Edited by Tzaia