GreaseSpot Cafe

WOW ambassadors - success?

potato

I really think they ran the "ministry" like a vacuous, soulless corporation..

when the numbers said that any continued effort would produce little net revenue, they just pulled in the welcome mat..

Yeah.......when twi accountants worked the numbers to find the threshold where twi's investments could sustain the corporation in spite of any loss in revenue.....i.e. abundant sharing.

A financial "perpetual motion" agenda.........i.e. pyramid structure devised by wierwille, fueled by pfal and sunday teaching tapes, with programs like WOW and Way Corps "fanning the flames" to arrive at said threshold.

:evildenk:

perpetual motion 

–noun Mechanics. the motion of a theoretical mechanism that, without any losses due to friction or other forms of dissipation of energy, would continue to operate indefinitely at the same rate without any external energy being applied to it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, we went WOW of our own decisions. We stayed in a cult by our own decision. If you a spoon-fed the bullshirt on a daily basis, you learn to eat it and start believing it yourself. Out of fear for being labeled "non-believing", you will tell others it was the BEST experience of your life. You will tell of the learning you experienced. You will leave out the sordid details of hunger, rape, and terrible living conditions. My WOW year didnt' yield rape, hunger, or terrible living conditions. It was quite the opposite for me. Yet, the morals of those I lived with were deterioriated. I thought God put me there to learn. There was no way I would leave and not finish the program. It was a pride thing. I wanted to have the notch on my belt, and I wanted to have the camadarie with other WOW Vets. No, those weren't such godly reasons. At 19 years old when I first took the class, I don't know that I had much life experience or thoughts of my own. I just thought that doing something for God was noble and admirable.

Fast forward 13 years when I went on Staff. It was considered the highest achievement for an Advanced Class grad to live where the Man of God did every day. It showed you had spiritual balance and integrity in your life. When you get there and you work, you begin to feel you are a slave. Then you spend time with other "privileged" invididuals who feel the same way, and the murmuring is constant. Nobody DARES speak of their feelings to the higher ups. Just the peons talk to vent frustration. Then they vow to never speak of it again and go on living with a fake smile on their face.

What I find is that many were bullshirting their way through the classes, the programs, and their life as a Way Believer. We were told constantly that no other ministry taught the truth. There was no other sweetness you would experience out in the world. You would msee many blessings because you were God's elite. You hear things enough, you semi-believe it yourself, and your promote it like you believe it wholeheartedly to get others to believe it too even though you may not have received the things promised. Then the "truth" got more serious. You would die if you left God's household. If you leave the household, God won't spit in your direction. You hear that enough and you can say you don't believe it, but see where your fear is when you let yourself outside the limitations you've lived under for so many years.

It was all a scam. We are all conned whether we want to admit it or not. It was a good idea, but it doesn't work when there's an underlying lie under it all. And anytime you separate yourself from society (physically or not), you set yourself up. That's my learning lesson, and I'm sticking to it.

Sure, we went WOW of our own decisions. We stayed in a cult by our own decision. If you a spoon-fed the bullshirt on a daily basis, you learn to eat it and start believing it yourself. Out of fear for being labeled "non-believing", you will tell others it was the BEST experience of your life. You will tell of the learning you experienced. You will leave out the sordid details of hunger, rape, and terrible living conditions. My WOW year didnt' yield rape, hunger, or terrible living conditions. It was quite the opposite for me. Yet, the morals of those I lived with were deterioriated. I thought God put me there to learn. There was no way I would leave and not finish the program. It was a pride thing. I wanted to have the notch on my belt, and I wanted to have the camadarie with other WOW Vets. No, those weren't such godly reasons. At 19 years old when I first took the class, I don't know that I had much life experience or thoughts of my own. I just thought that doing something for God was noble and admirable.

Fast forward 13 years when I went on Staff. It was considered the highest achievement for an Advanced Class grad to live where the Man of God did every day. It showed you had spiritual balance and integrity in your life. When you get there and you work, you begin to feel you are a slave. Then you spend time with other "privileged" invididuals who feel the same way, and the murmuring is constant. Nobody DARES speak of their feelings to the higher ups. Just the peons talk to vent frustration. Then they vow to never speak of it again and go on living with a fake smile on their face.

What I find is that many were bullshirting their way through the classes, the programs, and their life as a Way Believer. We were told constantly that no other ministry taught the truth. There was no other sweetness you would experience out in the world. You would msee many blessings because you were God's elite. You hear things enough, you semi-believe it yourself, and your promote it like you believe it wholeheartedly to get others to believe it too even though you may not have received the things promised. Then the "truth" got more serious. You would die if you left God's household. If you leave the household, God won't spit in your direction. You hear that enough and you can say you don't believe it, but see where your fear is when you let yourself outside the limitations you've lived under for so many years.

It was all a scam. We are all conned whether we want to admit it or not. It was a good idea, but it doesn't work when there's an underlying lie under it all. And anytime you separate yourself from society (physically or not), you set yourself up. That's my learning lesson, and I'm sticking to it.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap: in a Nutshell thats it.

To those who discount the responsibility of leadership leading folks astray....

What is that verse that states Paul gave over so and so to Satan because they preached the Resurrection had already come and gone and believers were carried with their doctrine?

WordWolf, I completely agree with your assessment that the WOW program was organized around vpw's sins. As far as it being profitable for TWI, I don't know. I'm not sure that was the point for vp. I think it was more of a control thing. I think he got a charge out of the thought of a bunch of young people going out and promoting "The Word", which, when properly understood, meant we were promoting him. My WOW years were just horrible. I hated it so much I decided to do it twice. Why? I have no idea. The 2nd year was the worst. Now that I'm older with kids I cringe at the thought of putting 2 guys and 2 girls in a home together and they don't even know each other. TWI didn't know much about them either. One could just go to the "Rock" and sign up then and there, and off would some idealistic cute little 18 year old girl who took the "class" 3 weeks before would be traveling across the country and then living with God knows who? In some cases, people would bring their children out on "the field" and expose them to...whoever. It's just plain sick really. You know bad stuff had to have happened to people. Not so much in my "family". We were just 4 people who all desperately needed to be medicated. Wierwille knew and was aware of the dangers. He just didn't care. But I think he got a charge out of the whole thing

[

=======================

Edited by erkjohn

. . .

Then they vow to never speak of it again and go on living with a fake smile on their face.

It was all a scam.

. . .

So wayfers are liars . . .ha, I knew it. :biglaugh:

I'm new here as of yesterday. WOW success or not?

This forum has made me laugh, cry, and I even saw myself returning "home" on the ROA 76 video.

I'd say I pretty much agree with all of you. (covered my butt well.)

I probably heard only what I wanted to, but when I went WOW in 75 I thought all we had to do was return in 76 to be a success.

I left the field for a week but returned for the ROA. Success!!!

We learned how to live on little or nothing,

share our cigs with wow's that didn't work,

drink lot's of coffee,

eat free samples at the grocery store,

share your vehicle with your coordinator,

give all your money to your cooridnator,

hate your cooridnator,

forgive your cooridnator,

My wow brother, who is now deceased likened us to the M.A.S.H. TV show. He was Hawkeye, I was Trapper and our cooridnator was Major Burns. We even had a wow sister with over active hormones we referred to as Hotlips.

Some parts sucked, but I'd call it a success.

Welcome, eagle 709

errrrr, I mean Trapper.

Pull up a folding chair and we'll pour you some stretched coffee.

Thanks, I had to show this to my wife. (she evidently didn't have anything else to do, so she went twice).

I can't say much though, I left the 10th corpse, and was dumb enough to go back in the 16th after I married her.

We left it about the same month I left the 10th.

We walked from "TWI" in 86 and haven't had much contact since, so this is a treat.

I'm new here as of yesterday. WOW success or not?

This forum has made me laugh, cry, and I even saw myself returning "home" on the ROA 76 video.

I'd say I pretty much agree with all of you. (covered my butt well.)

I probably heard only what I wanted to, but when I went WOW in 75 I thought all we had to do was return in 76 to be a success.

I left the field for a week but returned for the ROA. Success!!!

Hi eagle709, and welcome. I was a W.O.W. in 75-76 too! Went to Birmingham, AL. After the ROA in 76 I hung up my name tag.

Hi eagle709, and welcome. I was a W.O.W. in 75-76 too! Went to Birmingham, AL. After the ROA in 76 I hung up my name tag.

I was in Shreveport LA. Quite a culture shock for someone from a small town in IA

Weren't you drafted into the WOW vet program? I wound up being a small branch cooridnator for 3 active WOW families. (Definitely not my idea) That was in the early 80's.

The program had went down bad. Those people didn't (or were not allowed) to think for themselves. When they had issues they imediately called their leadership to fix things. I remember telling an interim corps WOW he could have got the limb leaders phone # and stayed in Emporia. We were allowed to mess up everything and then deal with it. Trust me, we were good at messing things up!

I didn't take the class until 74, and I thought the fun was over by 79.

I didn't take the class until 74, and I thought the fun was over by 79.

I agree.........by 1979, gone.

Sure some had "a learning experience" while out WOW........but the program was a fiasco. Wierwille and his yes-men had no concept of Christian outreach, guidelines, etc. It was a slipshod operation on a meager budget.

By 1979, the hype and hoopla in twi was grinding to a halt......imo.

:evildenk:

And at the end of the year we were "welcomed Home" to the Rock.

Yeah, right "Home" was a tent city. "Home" yeah, right. Try staying there after ROA was over.

"But you said it was "home". yeah, right

That's why it was in "quotation marks"

We have indoor plumbing at our house. But, no wow burgers.

• 2 weeks later...

My intent was to understand and comment on my understanding, not judge. There was a lot of pressure to take all of it. People who did not take all of it then paid a price - then. The cost of holding back was big. Some left. Others put up with the belittling remarks. While others ignored the remarks.

Those who did take it all paid a price then as well, but weren't aware of it at the time. Only through reflection have people changed their perceptions of that time.

If it's any comfort, people on LDS missions have had similar tales to tell.