GreaseSpot Cafe

I Found My WOW Pin Last Week

dmiller

It's been missing for years. I'd thought about it time and again and looked for it in vain. Wasn't really a big deal, but I knew that it was something I never tossed with the rest of the stuff, so it had to be around here somewhere and it kinda bugged me that I couldn't find it. Fast forward through the time I looked for it until last week when I decided to purge my bookshelves of books I will never read anymore. Books destined for Goodwill/ troops overseas/ etc., anything I knew I wasn't going to read again -- color those babies GONE.

So --- I'm cleaning out the bookshelves, and I see something hiding back behind a row of books. Small. Blue and Gold. Oval. Can it be??

Yes it was. It was the WOW pin I earned (30 years ago) and had been looking for (half-heartedly) staring me in the face from behind forgotten books.

How it got there I've no clue, and I had mixed emotions when I picked it up, looked at it, and held it once again.

I thought about 1978-79 and all that the year that little pin signified. So many good times. So many bad times. Mediocre times too.

Regardless of the *times* I had that year, here was tangible proof that I had gone through it (for better or for worse).

Got to thinking about the org books I've gotten rid of. Thought about all the SNS tapes I've recorded over. Those were dispensable.

Looking at that pin reminded me of so much that happened that year, and I'm glad I found it.

I don't have a suit to put it on (or an occasion to wear it anymore), but it's a keeper. :)

I have mine too. I keep it in my jewelery box. I never wore even though I was in TWI for almost 19 years after I went WOW. Particularly after LCM booted the program, there was no significance to it anymore. Anybody could have gone WOW once they took PFAL. You have to be an ADV class grad to be a WD. It's all drippy and boring. I keep it in memory of that year, and the fact that I think I really earned it.

I have mine... I kept it and always will, not in honor of the way but in honor of those people I went WOW with...and that year of my life. We stood together... IT was a long year, some good some bad... but it meant so much to and me to those of us in my WOW family... No matter what the ministry is or was .. That pin is what I have left that is a reminder of that one year I spent entrusting my life to God and trying to have a closer walk with God.

I have mine... I kept it and always will, not in honor of the way but in honor of those people I went WOW with...and that year of my life. We stood together... IT was a long year, some good some bad... but it meant so much to and me to those of us in my WOW family... No matter what the ministry is or was .. That pin is what I have left that is a reminder of that one year I spent entrusting my life to God and trying to have a closer walk with God.

Leafy,

Nice thought.

JT

some of us found a little independance going out into the great unknown..

I know where my wow pin is (or was).. I may never see it again..

:biglaugh:

I dunno bolshevik..

maybe one would have to go "sowers" to understand it..

Please don't.

there are better things to uderstand..

good. If you do need a jacket though, let me know. I'll send you one. :biglaugh:

(a nonwayvet one of course)

I'll need an X-Large Tall size, were I to take you up on that offer. ;)

I agree with Leafy. I'm not validating the *ministry* by being pleased I found the thing after all these years.

It is merely a manifestation in the senses realm of a spiritual reality that happened long ago. :biglaugh:

The other day, I found a copy of "The Teacher" from ROA '85. Found digging through my stuff. Why do I have a copy? dunno. Didn't know I had one.

Maybe I'll look some more, and maybe I'll find a WOW pin too. Who knows? Maybe a jacket . . . :biglaugh:

I sold both my W.O.W. pins on eBay many moons ago. I don't remember what I got for them, but whatever it was, it was gratefully accepted. To me they were overt evidence of the detrimental effects of credulousness. I feel as if there was nothing "earned" and certainly nothing I wanted to remember of either of those years. It was just another painful reminder of how young and stupid I once was.

I identify with the old bumperstickerism "We're too soon old, and too late smart"...

I sold both my W.O.W. pins on eBay many moons ago. I don't remember what I got for them, but whatever it was, it was gratefully accepted. To me they were overt evidence of the detrimental effects of credulousness. I feel as if there was nothing "earned" and certainly nothing I wanted to remember of either of those years. It was just another painful reminder of how young and stupid I once was.

I identify with the old bumperstickerism "We're too soon old, and too late smart"...

Well. You've got your opinion, and I've got mine.

Glad to hear you got a coupla bucks for your "overt evidence of the detrimental effects of credulousness". :)

My first WOW pin got stolen at a branch meeting or something way back when, but I bought a new one. I was proud of that pin, not because it made me anymore 'elite' or something but because I really cared about my first WOW family. We went through a bunch of stuff together and in the end we were still friends. Everytime I look at that pin it takes me back to a time when yes, I was a lot younger and quite a bit dumber but I was also a lot more trusting in God. That doesn't mean much to some people I know but to me it was and is a big deal.

Oh and I have the jacket too! I never got much chance to wear it and it wouldn't fit me now at all. I also got the Gunnison jacket. That wouldnt fit anymore either. Not that I'm trying to relive the Way but I sure have 'grown'! I guess the WOW year really worked! :biglaugh:

Mine is in the same spot as dmillers was-- I know its around here somewhere (probably in the back of a bookcase or under aplant) but I keep it for the same reason as he does.. --I did my year in good faith. It had its ups and downs, good times, tough times, but no matter what the organization turned out to be --I earned it

I enjoyed my WoW year and my family. I was truly sad when it ended. We did some good work and helped a lot of people. We just loved and trusted God.

I know where my pin is, and wouldn't throw that one away.

Yesterday I found a gold-colored SIT pin in the pot where I keep bits of broken crockery to go at the bottom of flower pots. Why was the SIT pin there? (scratches head) Now that one, I am not sure if I wish to keep. Maybe George can sell it on e-bay for me?

Our wow pins are in my jewelry box too. I come across them once in awhile and consider dumping them, but I enjoy seeing it and remembering how I felt that year. Despite many things, it was a great year for me personally.

I burned the t-shirts about 10 years after being marked and avoided. I left all the books and tapes/cd's in the basement and before I got to sorting through to sell on ebay, we had a great sewage backup - goodbye all things Way...

I never got the jacket - I probably would've, since I bought everything that bookstore sold over the years. I'm glad I never got to get that. Nor did I get the Corps sweats, which was something I really wanted - I thought those were the coolest. LOL

I buried my husband's WOW pin at his memorial tree, if nothing else someone will find it in a hundred year and say "WOW, what the heck is this?"

Mine I did something else with, sort of a cathartic ritual type gig, but I loved our WOW experience. It was our first time as a couple on our own and we had a blast for the most part.

I have his WOW jacket in a closet, it's a beautiful jacket that I've never worn but maybe his daughter want it.

Word Over The World; what a great concept, what a wierd experience, what a journey into something impossible, what a strange place.

I had the jacket, my husband shot a hole in it when a bullet ricocheted (no I wasn`t in it at the time) and smashed through the window and through the coat that was hanging in the laundry room...sigh.... I was very sad because I loved it.

My husband`s way corpes jacket was beautiful, but it faded to an icky yellow green.

I have my wow pins...I cannot explain why I keep them nor why in spite of everything I feel about anything twi....I still feel a sense of pride, accomplishment, respect when I see them.

WOW jackets ? I never had or saw a WOW jacket. I was WOW in '76, but don't remember seeing them as of '89 when I left.

I doubt they were giving them away for their faithful service. I'm also relieved I wasn't pressured into wearing a jacket with WOW written on it.

I've got a little box with my wow pin, wow, advanced class nametags, high school ring, and a few other items from my sordid past.

Edited by hiway29

I don't mean to pizz on anybody's memories, really.

I just can't relate to anyone's warm feelings with regards to anything Way-flavored. Saving a W.O.W. pin to me is like an ex-addict saving a favorite hypodermic needle to remember all those wonderful "highs" he had. Unseemly, at best.

I just can't relate, sorry...

Lol George...you give me pause to think.

Hiway, the jackets were the shiny bright silky tacky stuff that was popular in the early 80s. They were expensive at the time...50 bucks or so....Most clubs motorcycle groups had some version of them. :) They were actually quite striking. They were the deep blue of the wow pin with the wow pin embroidered real big on the back and your name in gold on the front. They were quilted on the inside and warm.

They were actually pretty classy for their day imo.

I loved mine and was very proud to wear it. Wish I still had it just because I thought it was so spiffy back then.