GreaseSpot Cafe

Grass Mowing 101

skyrider

Oh - were they Kirby vacuum cleaners? My son and DIL sold those for a while, or tried to anyway, I don't think they actually sold any at all. I think they are disgusting.

When I was a WOW, my roommate/BL was 4th WC and made me do all the cleaning to her specifications. I had to go to the office in the apartment complex and check out these damn Kirbys and then of course she made me clean them out BEFORE I vacuumed and afterward as well. There wasn't any bag!!!! I had to reach in with my bare hands and dig everyone else's dirt out of it, then vacuum, then clean our dirt out of it.

Not the most fun year of my life. I was always getting scratched, stuck, jabbed by stuff. At least no used syringes, thank God.

And you wonder why I always wanted to put a tarantula in her bed. Never did though.

WG

:offtopic:

Just a note...

Please consider how your spouses would feel if they logged in and saw themselves referred to in terms of "vaccuum righteousness" or any other cleaning habit.

No one likes to be painted with a broad stroke.

Now - that's my opinion. I may have a lot of really nasty things to say about some of the people I've met - but I won't go around posting it in a public forum - unless they purposely made themselves a "public figure."

That's why I feel like LoyToy and der Victoid are fair game - along with all the twibots that followed their leader into insanity, abuse and debauchery.

Okay - back to the party...

My spouse isn't going to log in here and see me saying anything about him, I assure that. I love this thread.

Finally a conversation about practical things that most of us can take part in, what a relief.

Martha Stewart Doesn't Live Here

:offtopic:

Just a note...

Please consider how your spouses would feel if they logged in and saw themselves referred to in terms of "vaccuum righteousness" or any other cleaning habit.

If I thought that the spouse gave a damn about how silly I thought three squares of tp usage were, or how anal I think straight line vaccuming was...or even what any of the rest of gs thought about him for that matter....I probably wouldn`t have posted. Matter of fact we usually laugh about this stuff together.

My husband worked house keeping and used those kirbys...LOL he still uses one! The kids and I refuse.

... three squares of tp [toilet paper] ... how anal I think straight line vaccuming was... used those kirbys...LOL he still uses one! The kids and I refuse.

Getting a really weird mind picture here.... :biglaugh:

Scuse me RR?? I don`t think anybody was intentionally *trashing their man*.... I don`t see where you read that *I hate my man* either, or where I feel he has *ruined my life*. If that is ever my intention, please be assured that I will start a thread to that effect.

I was under the impression that we were laughing at the stupidity of the work program/standard/protocol...ie anal behavior that was instilled and disguised as *attention to detail* while in the way corpes... which I thought was the topic of conversation.... some of it amusingly enough has carried over into present day. Sorry that my post doesn`t quite measure up to your standard as to what is acceptable within the parameters of this thread, but to me, your inexcusable alteration of my post and it`s intent was lacking in respect and your condescending snottiness about seeking help and answeres for marital problems in another thread is the REAL off topic post.

Wow - you kissed your mother with that kind of mouth? I was very polite and expressed an opinion. Your response was personal insult and dishonest but I've come to expect that when you cross opinions on GSC certain people will fly off the handle and begin to toss nasty verbiage back.. "inexcusable", "condescending snottiness." Oh my... Heck I even gave the benefit of the doubt and said that some of the "discussion" (downtalking really) may be valid. Seems like quite a few couples on here have one out and one half in still.

Now if you'd just have left it at..."I was under the impression that we were laughing at the stupidity of the work program/standard/protocol...ie anal behavior that was instilled and disguised as *attention to detail* while in the way corpes... which I thought was the topic of conversation...." well that would have been a fine explanation.

Anyway - you have a good day there Rascal. Really.

Edited by RumRunner

I can remember wading hip deep in the creek behind Ohio limb HQ and removing rocks. Yes, rocks. When I exited the creek, I had to stop and remove the leeches that had decided I was their buddy. What benefit, in Heaven's name, could have possibly come from that nonsense, other than the limb leader solidifying his position as "alpha dog"? What a useless exercise in futility! The whole two year program was like that.

Oh and let's not forget that Ohio Limb HQ had been a dance barn complete with bar, and we were also digging broken beer bottles, rusty tin cans and all kinds of nasties out of there. The best part was when a snake of mysterious genus swam from one end to the other. The mass exodus from that creek would have won a track meet.

I am embarrassed to admit that I remember kind of claiming a need for a potty break and sort of not coming back....that was the stupidest, most disgusting thing we had to do. But not as dangerous as getting shot at. That happened but not me personally.

WG

How does one get shot at in FLO?  Did the limb leader do it?  Inquiring minds want to know, especially how that makes one extra speashul spurtchill.   :confused:

Reckless discharge---no malice intended.

Potentially tragic, none the less.

This actually happened the beginning of our tenure. Mr. Garden was a 3rd year FLO; Waysider and I were in the 4th. So Mr. Garden had been there a year when we joined the happy throng.

The limb HQ was a former dance barn in what was then more of a rural setting than it is now. There was a small house adjacent that was also part of the property, where the limb leader and family resided; not nearly as luxurious as the ones they leased for their enjoyment in later years. Behind the house and barn the land dropped away. There was a creek at the bottom of the hill with trees around it. Semi-unseen beyond the creek was a very large organic garden. Mr. Garden was in charge of the garden.

Watering the garden was a problem, so they had a large kiddie swimming pool, the kind with sides about 1 1/2 to 2 feet high out there; there was enough hose to fill it with water, and then we carried buckets of water to dump on the plants.

Once while Mr. Garden and some others were harvesting stuff out there, he noticed some very large bees buzzing past his workers, preceded by a loud BOOM from up on the hill. He realized what it was, and ran up to the back of the house to find the limb leader had set up a target at the edge of the hill behind the house and was practicing shooting his .45, blissfully unaware he could have taken out a couple of free laborers with his misses. (The guy wore coke-bottle-bottom glasses and wasn't the greatest shot). Mr. Garden went ballistic, no respecter of persons he.

The guy did blast a respectable hole in the side of the swimming pool sometime later. Mr. Garden didn't like that, either. But at least the hole was in an inanimate object. He did manage to poach a duck the following spring.

The guy didn't even look first to see if anyone was down there. Or maybe he just thought a pistol shot wouldn't carry that far. It was a Dirty Harry size pistol, though, and most surely would have caused grievous harm or even death.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see as a little mini-corps type person we swept the front parking lot at the Indy Campus with straw brooms, used small sickles to cut the grass between new trees that were planted in that big field past Uncle Harry Hill, dug ditches with small shovels and spades, and raked the entire fareway and pond/island area of leaves. Those are (not sh!tting you) some good memories. How often do you get to use a sickle to cut grass. That was cool at 12 y/o. Being told that I didn't know how to properly sweep a giant parking lot, not so cool. But dammit if I'm not a fantastic sweeper... when I actually sweep. I attribute my work ethic to many of those experiences. It may have been more fun to be able to joke around about it and play a little even if you got yelled at, at least they weren't critiquing our spiritual standing by our technique.

When I first started working with a contractor friend of our who was a Wayfer at age 20 or so, he had me nail the decking down to a big deck by hand. I found out later that he usually used a nail gun at a lower pressure to drive the nails just shy of flush and only finished with a hammer. Boy was my arm tired, but I learned how to swing a hammer like nobodies business.

Of course, if I were an adult and were being treated like a child and screamed at for stupid stuff I would be ....ed. Or if I was told to cut down a bunch of cotton wood trees and wasn't allowed to point to the thousands of other cottonwoods that surrounded the property, I would be ....ed. I love cottonwood trees.

All the house cleaning? Yeah, I'm a slob. Oh, and an infidel, so maybe there was something to that! :confused:

Edited by lindyhopper

The guy didn't even look first to see if anyone was down there. Or maybe he just thought a pistol shot wouldn't carry that far. It was a Dirty Harry size pistol, though, and most surely would have caused grievous harm or even death.

WG

Hunting with some of these idiots in TWI leadership was a much scarier experience than hunting with Dick Cheney ever would have been.

Can you say "laws", "alchohol + firearms = not good idea", "hunters safety", or "your 'spirituality' doesn't give you license to act like a dumbfoot" ???? Geez, many times you'd be safer in the deep South with a jug of moonshine shooting at wildlife from a pickup truck with a floodlight.

These are people that a sharpened lollipop stick was a stretch to trust them with, little less loaded firearms.

Edited by chockfull