GreaseSpot Cafe

and tongues shall cease---

waysider

Funny how just about any "miraculous" spiritual events can be quite logically explained without invoking the supernatural. But if one is predisposed to believe or is carefully coached to accept as legitimate, well, then it's GAWD at work.

Yeah, Almighty GAWD wants to prove His existence or proclaim his wonderful works or whatever, so He accomplished that by giving you the ability to speak in a language that basically nobody understands. I guess that makes about as much sense as any other religious tenets.

But what's more likely? Let us worship for a moment at the feet of William of Ockham and his notorious razor. Does it seem more likely that an invisible, omniscient, omnipotent being is providing you with meaningless gibberish to speak so as to get His ego stroked, or... that you're just making it up?

People HAVE study the phenomenon at some length, and have concluded that it is NOT language, no matter how bad we want it to be. And yes, I have a link too:

http://www.skepdic.com/glossol.html

I already posted that I spoke in tongues before TWI, and I still do and am thankful I do. I just wanted to comment about SIT in TWI...

I believe God is/was bigger than TWI....And TWI didn't dictate to God what He could do or not Do within the realm of the ministry.

So I absolutely believe there were people in TWI who SIT for the first time and it was real and genuine. That's my God, who isn't limited by organizations and what they say or what they don't...He care's about the individual and he works with the individual. Do I think there were people who "faked" it? Well, obviously according to some posts, yes they did.

On a topic like this one, you'll hear people say, I faked it, I made it up, it wasn't real, if it was in TWI it wasn't geniune.

And you will hear people say, It's very real and very geniune to me. Either they SIT in TWI or before TWI.....We can share our experiences and that's just it...It's OUR experiences and no one can take that away, whether you SIT or don't.

Blessings....

I spoke in tongues WAY before I even started the pfal class. I also saw genuine miracles. No, not getting a good parking space or dumb crap like that. But I won't bother sharing as, since it happened while I was in twi, I'll just be called a liar, deluded, or whatever.

You won't be called that by me Bluzeman....

I saw miracles in TWI.......It wasn't because of TWI....it's because of God who is bigger than TWI and can work anywhere He chooses to.

I know a lot of people who, when they left TWI, thought they left God......I guess if TWI was their god, then they did....But TWI never limited the Almighty!!...And if God hadn't been working in TWI, there would have been a whole lot more disasters than what was. (My opinion of course) All I know is, I am a child of God and where I am, He is....I got born again as a child, And He never left me, even when I signed the green card...

Blessings!

I spoke in tongues at the end of the class and it was genuine... I still do it when I pray .. Sometimes I sing in tongues.. There is a specific feeling I get when I do it .. that has nothing to do with TWI and everything to do with God and when ever I encounter the real thing I get the same feeling ..

I also got to see some real miracles and not the parking space kind either... I have no doubt that some people faked it.. but for some people it was genuine.

What VP taught regarding SIT and manifestation of the spirit was wrong and the whole SIT at every TWI with word of interpretation.. I always found that forced and weird.. but me praying to God in private that has always been real.. and I supose next will be the whole argument about feelings being false and it has to be logical to be true PErhaps but I have learned in my life to pay closer attention to my gut feelings. They are usually spot on!

i don't think i would know how to fake speaking in tongues

and i think reba might be born again :)

my sister and i used to speak in other languages fluently (sounded like) when were young and pretending

--

now here is something really bizzaro

one time in the beginning of my wayferism, someone told me my tongue sounded like a certain language (sorry i forget) so i went and got this little translation dictionary book of that language

i sat there and spoke in tongues (by myself) and looked up words that sounded like what i was saying

and they all had to do with god and glory and love and all stuff like that

--

i KNOW you think i'm possessed ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha

I'd like to see if there's any old timers here from the early years that ever heard vpw speak in tongues fluently. Did he ever do live intermediate classes and demonstrate at length?

When I took PLAF (The Wonder Class), it was 13 sessions long.

After session 12, you were officially a grad but eligible for session 13.

That session was supposed to be like the hidden track on a CD or something.

The 13th session consisted of another hour or so of audio taped teaching regarding SIT, TIP and Prophecy.

It was really like a less energetic version of sessions 11 and 12 combined.

No, there were no examples of Wierwille showcasing his product. It was just straightforward teaching fare.

Looking back, I believe it was probably material that had been cut from the main body of the class because it didn't follow the emotional pattern of the rest of it.

After that extra hour or so, the class broke up into small participatory groups that later became known as excellor sessions

That session came to be known as the T.I.P. session. I think the whole thing lasted 2-3 hours tops. (with refreshments)

Later, it got extended to the full blown, three session, Intermediate Class. Still not much more teaching. Lots of added excellor session activity.

If you wanted to take the AC, you had to pay for and take the Intermediate even if you had sat through T.I.P.

That kind of fried me at the time because I had done all three mannies before I ever took the PLAF class. But, being a good wayfer kind of guy, I kept my mouth shut and followed orders.

I guess that's a 'round about way of saying that I never heard him do much of anything beyond what was in those classes.

edited to add:

When I was in Fellow Laborers, it was pretty rare to hear a limb leader or any high ranking "mucky muck" speak in tongues and interpret. In fact, it was seen as somewhat of an imposition on them to do TIP. You were never supposed to call on them in a believer's meeting. If anything, they would sometimes give a "word of prophesy" if they were running the show. There was some kind of rationalization that prophesy was heavier stuff or something. :rolleyes:

Edited by waysider

edited to add:

When I was in Fellow Laborers, it was pretty rare to hear a limb leader or any high ranking "mucky muck" speak in tongues and interpret. In fact, it was seen as somewhat of an imposition on them to do TIP. You were never supposed to call on them in a believer's meeting. If anything, they would sometimes give a "word of prophesy" if they were running the show. There was some kind of rationalization that prophesy was heavier stuff or something. :rolleyes:

That just is all kinds of wrong...THe were supposed to be shepherding us peons. :asdf:

When I took PLAF (The Wonder Class), it was 13 sessions long.

After session 12, you were officially a grad but eligible for session 13.

That session was supposed to be like the hidden track on a CD or something.

The 13th session consisted of another hour or so of audio taped teaching regarding SIT, TIP and Prophecy.

It was really like a less energetic version of sessions 11 and 12 combined.

No, there were no examples of Wierwille showcasing his product. It was just straightforward teaching fare.

Looking back, I believe it was probably material that had been cut from the main body of the class because it didn't follow the emotional pattern of the rest of it.

After that extra hour or so, the class broke up into small participatory groups that later became known as excellor sessions

That session came to be known as the T.I.P. session. I think the whole thing lasted 2-3 hours tops. (with refreshments)

Later, it got extended to the full blown, three session, Intermediate Class. Still not much more teaching. Lots of added excellor session activity.

If you wanted to take the AC, you had to pay for and take the Intermediate even if you had sat through T.I.P.

That kind of fried me at the time because I had done all three mannies before I ever took the PLAF class. But, being a good wayfer kind of guy, I kept my mouth shut and followed orders.

I guess that's a 'round about way of saying that I never heard him do much of anything beyond what was in those classes.

Made the hot shot more spurtual ya know?They(hotshots)were beyond the "milk"stage.They were "mature".

The leader probably did not know much more beyond the classes.Even while still "in"I would do some investigating outside the confines of twi.

The reply most often received was "well if it is important twi will teach it"

edited to add:

edited to add:

When I was in Fellow Laborers, it was pretty rare to hear a limb leader or any high ranking "mucky muck" speak in tongues and interpret. In fact, it was seen as somewhat of an imposition on them to do TIP. You were never supposed to call on them in a believer's meeting. If anything, they would sometimes give a "word of prophesy" if they were running the show. There was some kind of rationalization that prophesy was heavier stuff or something.

OHMYGOD i just remembered something

when i was "in residence" (not as a doctor), it was some guy's birthday and had the mic up at the head table

he was allowed to run the show for this one time

he called on the corps coordinator to stand speak in tongues and interpret -- i think -- it could have been word of P but i'm pretty it was the other

so the corps coordinator said something like, "that's out of line" or whatever

my friends and i laughed like hell about it all

i think we might have talked about this one time on the 9th corps thread here or at the old GSC

oh man it was too funny if you were there

he, the leader, was like shocked and sputtering (not tongues though) ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ah ah

thanks for memories

• Upvote 1

The "Lies and Deception" thread raised this question for me.

How did you feel when you found out that SIT is bogus?

How is speaking in tongues bogus???

Hiya, tag

SIT is the acronym that The Way used to refer to it's particular brand of doctrine regarding speaking in tongues.

It is my contention that SIT (TWI's particular brand of doctrine regarding speaking in tongues) is bogus.

Thanks for asking.

Edited by waysider