GreaseSpot Cafe

Post Upgrade Issues

GT

I note that when I select text and use the size control, the resulting text is a lot smaller thatn it used to be. For example,

This is Size = 2

which should be bigger than normal text, but appears to be much smaller.

George

GstG - if you were to use size="+2" *that* becomes bigger than normal. size=2 gives you what you got, that's normal.

Just a thought. The wording under a Topic heading (the description) is in really tiny type, and it may be helpful if that could be perhaps a size larger?

• Upvote 1

I do plan to put together a summary of the changes and new features eventually -- once I get everything running correctly.

But briefly:

Each post has, at the bottom right, a green plus (+) and a red minus (-) and a green or red number next to those. As you're reading along, if you like or dislike what someone wrote, you can give it a rating point (or take one away). Or you can do nothing.

Posts that receive a rating of +30 or more (I think -- it's adjustable) get highlighted. Posts with a low negative rating can be auto hidden (a user settable preference).

Over time, as people rate what you write, that becomes a part of your reputation.

• Upvote 1

i can't find my controls and nothing happens when i click the dropdown box next to my name and clicking my shadow picture just takes me to my profile and i am logged in.

oh oops. i clicked on a little picture that had nothing by it and nothing came up to tell me what it was but guess what? it was "edit my profile" or something. but i can't see most of the buttons now just the pictures but not the words or the outlines.

• Upvote 1

One other "feature" is a bit annoying: when I post a response, the page refreshes to the very bottom, below any of the posts.

George

There are a few quirks I've noticed with where one ends up after clicking a link. The blogs are the worse. May be fixed soon, but not anything I can do about it now.

i can't find my controls and nothing happens when i click the dropdown box next to my name and clicking my shadow picture just takes me to my profile and i am logged in.

oh oops. i clicked on a little picture that had nothing by it and nothing came up to tell me what it was but guess what? it was "edit my profile" or something. but i can't see most of the buttons now just the pictures but not the words or the outlines.

Can you shoot me a screen shot? Either posted here or PM.

If you're on Windows, pressing ALT+PrintScreen will capture the current windows. Open up MS Paint, paste it in. Save it as a JPG. You're all set to up load it.

Edited by GT
  • Upvote 1

When I tried to read some of the later posts in the About the Way in the "tongues shall cease thread" I'm greeted with a message that says I've asked for a post that is not on that topic or words to that effect. Would you please explain why?

Thanks GT maybe we should call you " Mighty Great Technician" instead of greasy tech!

• Upvote 1

I can only get the "Songs of the moment" thread to load to Waysider's post June 9th. It shows that as the last entry. I know I posted on there since as have others and I can't see them when I look at it. I have tried it logged in and not logged in. . . I have changed the number of replies I see on a page. . . nothing seems to work. It only shows me 3 entries per page and has it at 43 pages? It stops at June 9.

• Upvote 1

GT, thank you for all you're doing here and I gotta toss my own question in here. Thanks for the other answer, as well.

I can't find the 'reply' feature and I'll bet I'm looking right at it.

To reply, I hit the quote button, then erase that quote, then reply. Not a big deal, just probably there is some other way; a right way that I'm missing right in front of me.

• Upvote 1

GT, thank you for all you're doing here and I gotta toss my own question in here. Thanks for the other answer, as well.

To reply, I hit the quote button, then erase that quote, then reply. Not a big deal, just probably there is some other way; a right way that I'm missing right in front of me.

Shell, you can scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page, under the page numbers and below the Google ad of the day, and you should see a "Fast Reply" box. Once you click on the box like you're going to write, it expands and you can type in it.

• Upvote 1

Also Shellon, if you look at the bottom of the page where the reply button would usually be(bottom right). . . . there are two little icons. . . one is an green arrow. . . run the mouse over it and it should come up "reply". It just isn't marked. I did the same thing you did, until I found the little green arrow.

Just to add: The other icon is a page and is to start a new topic(I think). They are next to each other.

Edited by geisha779
  • Upvote 1

OK, I finally booted my laptop into Windows to look at the site using IE7. If feel dirty now. :wacko:

The Add Reply and Start a new topic buttons are not there, both at the top and bottom. Also the Watch this topic button. Technically they are there, but the font is white expecting blue background, not the white IE is giving it.

I'm sure it will be fixed by the company who writes the forum software, but it may be a few weeks.

May I suggest a few "Standards Compliant" browsers in the mean time?

Firefox (What I've used the last 5 years)

Safari (What I use more and more lately -- very fast)

Opera

Google Chrome

Edited by GT
  • Upvote 1

Here is what the buttons are supposed to look like, using Safari 4.

post-2-124586804786_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Interestingly, NOW I'm having the trouble that Shellon mentioned!

When I opened the page this time, I tried to get rid of that annoying Shoutbox by clicking on My Preferences. It didn't help, and I had trouble with the font/background thing ever since. (Even the little "-" I had been using to make Shoutbox go away is invisible, now.)

George

There is no "icon" next to my posts where someone can click to add me as a friend or send me a private message. Can you fix this? or did I do something wacky. Being friends is nice....but it's more important to get private messages to keep annoying comments and scathing remarks off the main boards.

• Upvote 1

There is no "icon" next to my posts where someone can click to add me as a friend or send me a private message. Can you fix this? or did I do something wacky. Being friends is nice....but it's more important to get private messages to keep annoying comments and scathing remarks off the main boards.

Actually, Krys, I see three icons right under your name. One is for adding you as a friend, the next is for private messaging, and the third is to view your gallery. I imagine it's just a problem with your browser.

George

Actually, Krys, I see three icons right under your name. One is for adding you as a friend, the next is for private messaging, and the third is to view your gallery. I imagine it's just a problem with your browser.

George

Thanks George. I'm using Mozilla 5.0. I'll have to check again what is recommended.

I also wondered if certain items just don't show up in one's own profile when one is looking at it. Hmmmmm

• Upvote 1

I think I found the problem with the missing buttons.

For those that were experiencing it, have they shown up now? If not, could you try force reloading a page (CTRL + R) and see if they appear. If that doesn't work, try clearing your history.

Hopefully they work for all.

Krys -- could be the same issue with the buttons you're not seeing. Try the same steps.

• Upvote 1