GreaseSpot Cafe

Rock of Ages

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

For me, it all started to go bad when it moved to HQ, and everything was 'controlled'. I loved the Sydney Fairgrounds, with the aged wooden structures that would never pass later 'standards', the little store a few steps from the gate, where the locals could yell at you, and the sense of genuine 'fellowship', such as joining small groups playing music, etc. I was also new to the way then, and hadn't been ground down by it's many forces yet. It was actually FUN.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I'm just picking up on complaints about portaloos. Field Corps were usually assigned to clean portaloos - "to keep them meek" (yeah right). I got this task several years running (but then, I was always being told I wasn't meek enough). And I have to say that I kept the banks of portas for which I was responsible spotlessly clean, smell free and a pleasure to use.

I can't speak for whoever cleaned the men's toilets. Maybe they didn't do such a good job.

Or maybe some of you men should have stopped using the bushes. Nobody cleaned them.

LOL Twinky were you perhaps cleaning in 79 if you were then you and I may have been cleaning toilets together.

I was the non Corps idiot who signed up without knowing what I was getting into .. Actually I enjoyed the detail. The Corps were nice to me.. appreciative of my help and funny.. and really made an effort to make the loo's sparkle in an effort to bless those of you who were in need.

Okay my worst ROA was my last one and it really was not bad.. I as I said before loved ROA but the last one was my first year as Married Corps and Hubby and I slept in the Corps tents... Big army tents with cots set up for Corps who were there working... and attending ROA... I spent most of my time at ROA working that year and there was a lot of unhappiness going around..

I may remember this wrong but that was the year they announced I think that LCM was going to be taking over for VPW... at least they announced it at one of the Corps meetings... I remember some folks were grumbling about it.. but if you asked specifics I couldn't tell you it was long ago and when we left I tried to not think about TWI anymore.

anyway.. I remember the music being awesome from the get go but like some of the others on here we left while things were still very laid back.

The one thing that I remember that I still really like is that it was the place every year that I saw the Perseid Meteor showers.

I didnt know about them then but every year I'd spend a night or two up all night talking to somneone or other about some deep ( :yawn1:) spiritual secret (haha) and about 20 or 30 shooting stars an hour would pass by as a happy accident

on the other hand --if anyone ever ever wakes me up with Beautiful Ohio blaring at 6 am ever again you best leave the planet

• Upvote 1

The one thing that I remember that I still really like is that it was the place every year that I saw the Perseid Meteor showers.

I didnt know about them then but every year I'd spend a night or two up all night talking to somneone or other about some deep ( :yawn1: ) spiritual secret (haha) and about 20 or 30 shooting stars an hour would pass by as a happy accident

on the other hand --if anyone ever ever wakes me up with Beautiful Ohio blaring at 6 am ever again you best leave the planet

LOL OMG Mstar I totally forgot about Beautiful Ohio... Sadly it jumped right into my head as soon as I read your words.. Thanks for my ear worm for today. HEhehehehe

They'd play "Good morning Lord", along with 'Beautiful Ohio", making sure no one got enough sleep. One night I worked that bridge on the main road to the parking lot,during an incredible rainstorm, 'directing' traffic and people across it after the program, where amazingly no one was killed. I was drenched and had to stay there all night before being relieved around 6 am. I stumbled into my sleeping bag, only to be met with "Good morning , Lord", and drifted off to sleep cursing the music, the humidity, the flies, the corps, and anything else I could think of.

Edited by hiway29
  • Upvote 1

I still have an old Good Seed cassette tape. All of my children still remember words to those songs. Have not played it for some years. Plugged it in the other day and the boy sang the words. I was equally amazed that I found a cassette player.

I love that tape because it reminds me of sweet innocent times. Like some have said, before it became managed or controlled.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful Ohio!! Oh geez! I never saw the "greatness" of that even when I was at the peak of my brainwashedness. It embarrassed me, quite frankly.

Edited by erkjohn

Personally, I always thought waking anyone up with anything at 6 am when they were on a so-called vacation was sin. I was so happy to stay with Mr. Garden's mom at her house rather than sleep in a tent where I didn't sleep at all, dozing fitfully until 2 AM when someone would shriek at the top of their voice right outside: "BUBBA! I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU FOR A MILLION YEARS! GOD BLESS YOU! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?"

I was undoubtedly the biggest grouch on the planet for that week, until we got married and started staying with family. The few times after that we camped outside were made better because Mr. Garden was in the house, er, tent. One year we shared an RV with some folks and were parked far away from the speakers and that was nice too.

I am not a camper, unless you consider Day's Inn camping. I'm more a bed & breakfast kinda person.

WG

For me, it all started to go bad when it moved to HQ, and everything was 'controlled'. I loved the Sydney Fairgrounds, with the aged wooden structures that would never pass later 'standards', the little store a few steps from the gate, where the locals could yell at you, and the sense of genuine 'fellowship', such as joining small groups playing music, etc. I was also new to the way then, and hadn't been ground down by it's many forces yet. It was actually FUN.

I loved that about the early ROA's in Sydney too. They were more like a rock festival, with different bands doing whole sets, on and off all day. The later ones at HQ were more like variety shows, and very slick and "packaged."

I have a special memory of walking around at the fairgrounds in Sydney (in '72) and happening on a small group of guys jamming together. I had a harmonica with me and started playing along with them a bit. I didn't know who they were at the time, but that night they were introduced on the main stage as a brand new group - and their name was Good Seed.

I still have an old Good Seed cassette tape. All of my children still remember words to those songs. Have not played it for some years. Plugged it in the other day and the boy sang the words. I was equally amazed that I found a cassette player.

I love that tape because it reminds me of sweet innocent times. Like some have said, before it became managed or controlled.

all 3 are now on CD. Ithink TWI, CFFM, S&TF, etc. focus more on doctrine and will mention SIT/glossalia which might upset some CCM fans of which some will and others don't speak in tongues. Always thought it gutsy and arrogant to imply do it or you ain't a true Christian. How do I compare Rueben Morgan's My Redeemer Lives to Good Seed's God resurrected Christ his Son? Both are fine until the line I speak in tongues. Again Eagle's Wings(Hillsongs or Michael Joncas) as oppossed to Pressed Down's version. That line SIT, bit off standish/smug. Sorry Ralph, Paul and Joe but the above mentioned sentiment is true.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I always thought waking anyone up with anything at 6 am when they were on a so-called vacation was sin.

WG

Oh, I dunno WG. It would have been nice if just once we woke up to the sounds of Hendrix's version of the Star Bangled Banner. Would have been a nice diversion from Beautiful Ohio.

Re: Hendrix: OHYECKYEAH!

Actually, one year I took our teenage foster kids and one of their friends to the Rock and we all camped out. I "forgot" to tell them about the 6 am blessing. They all sat straight up in holy terror! "What the hell is THAT?" yelled one of them, to his embarrassment.

I laughed so hard I couldn't answer for quite some time.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

Vp in a golf cart,saying I wonder if I am born again loshanta o shanta at 7am in the freaking morning!

Rise and shine you beuootiful beleevers!What a maroon!

I worked porta potty cleaning at a few rocks,ya cannot imagine how dirty people are.

Bugs Bunny would be proud of you. btw maroon is similar to burgundy, but WB could not say moron without being sued for bad language.

What's up Doc (Vic)?

I huntin wadies, hehehe. :biglaugh:

what I don't miss:

the smell of rural Ohio.

the ROA showers.

my tent flooding and all my stuff getting soaked in August rainstorms.

the food.

the big top meetings.

WOW training.

driving to ROA in cheap used cars that broke down.

mosquitoes.

what I miss:

nothing. I can keep in touch with friends by other means, and all the activities we had to be in all the time pretty much took up all my time anyway.

Where did Wierwille get big top circus tents? Was ther a deal with Ringling Brothers/Barnaum and Bailey?