GreaseSpot Cafe

Rock of Ages

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

shoot, anyone remember they were gonna build a permanent building for the showers? Late 90s probably . . .

You mean word over the World/VPW Auditorium doesn't have them? :drink::beer:

Where did Wierwille get big top circus tents? Was ther a deal with Ringling Brothers/Barnaum and Bailey?

TLB,

I remember asking this once at HQ during ROA. If my poor little mind is working well today, there was a company that specialized in large tents for public functions. I was told the main tent was the second largest in north america. When I asked why TWI wouldn't just buy one to save cost, I was told renting it was a better financial decision. The person telling me this was an old friend in the corps who was on staff and (I believe) had first-hand knowledge.

HOWEVER, this was over 15 years ago so it's a little fuzzy.

JT

Edited by JustThinking

TLB,

I remember asking this once at HQ during ROA. If my poor little mind is working well today, there was a company that specialized in large tents for public functions. I was told the main tent was the second largest in north america. When I asked why TWI wouldn't just buy one to save cost, I was told renting it was a better financial decision. The person telling me this was an old friend in the corps who was on staff and (I believe) had first-hand knowledge.

HOWEVER, this was over 15 years ago so it's a little fuzzy.

JT

I believe there was a plaque or sign of some sort outside the big top saying it was the largest free standing tent in North America.

• Upvote 1

We had a lovely thunderstorm last night, a real toad-drowner! Aren't you all thankful not to be in a tent in northwestern Ohio last night?

Oh and by the way, everyone keeps complaining about the smell of rural Ohio. I LIVE in rural Ohio, and it doesn't smell bad here at all. I don't live anywhere close to NK, however.

If you are referring to the pig farms in rural Ohio (and Indiana), I expect to the farmers who raise the pigs, that just smells like money.

WG

IIRC, the tents were rented from "Leaf Tents" out of Florida. They had a crew of their own guys hanging around thoughout the Rock and Score Week to attend to any eventualities...

Imagine that assignment? What do they tell their friends when they come home? And what happens to that oh-so-important spiritual purity when a bunch of Godless Unbelieving Tent People are stomping around the big top? Would they know to make sure it faced the right way? Did they string the trucks before pulling the tent out?

JT

You mean word over the World/VPW Auditorium doesn't have them? :drink::beer:

There are showers, and a special "teachers shower"

but I mean over in the Way Fields, the plumbing and concrete pads are still there.

Get out!

The AUDITORIUM has SHOWERS in it now?

(Or always did and they were hidden when I was there, either-or.)

What COULD they have been used for? The mind boggles!

Get out!

The AUDITORIUM has SHOWERS in it now?

(Or always did and they were hidden when I was there, either-or.)

What COULD they have been used for? The mind boggles!

The teacher's suite always had a shower, far as I know. The OSC has showers too I believe. I don't know, wouldn't most dressing rooms back stage need showers?

• Upvote 1

The teacher's suite always had a shower, far as I know. The OSC has showers too I believe. I don't know, wouldn't most dressing rooms back stage need showers?

Makes sense. I'm sure more than a few people listened to someone on stage and felt icky afterwards. Showers would be nice before making that 250 mile drive home on a Sunday night. ;)

JT

Depends on the venue. :biglaugh:

You see all those scenes where people try to wash away the shame of being violated. Somehow I don't see that as being the issue at HQ - at least by those who are on "stage".

• Upvote 1

I only went 76-78.

I actually remember it being cold at night.

Meeting and seeing friends. Spending the day visiting was great.

The music was pathetic. I always thought why cant they make music like the popular music. Never liked Way music.

The showers at Sidney I think were at a high school and great. The showers at HQ that last year I still remember. One minate they were cold and the next burning hot.

Things that bummed me out were people who would get there and then deside they wanted to go WOW. You couldnt take 5 steps without someone begging for money. Traveling was always the pits because one car had to stop at a Texaco and the other an Exxon. Didn't these people understand the idea of cash. Of course there was the weekend in Brownsville Tennesse with a bad transmission. The tranny was 200 miles out of warranty.

It also seemed that people would beg to go so every car was overloaded.

Do I miss the ROCK? no way. I do miss being 20 something with hot women everywhere.

• 10 months later...

"I'm still here."

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa

OMG, it's Hannibal Leecher :biglaugh:

Re: Hendrix: OHYECKYEAH!

Actually, one year I took our teenage foster kids and one of their friends to the Rock and we all camped out. I "forgot" to tell them about the 6 am blessing. They all sat straight up in holy terror! "What the hell is THAT?" yelled one of them, to his embarrassment.

I laughed so hard I couldn't answer for quite some time.

WG

WG, Wicked! :biglaugh:

quote name='Bolshevik' date='19 August 2009 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1250729195' post='473903']

ah, entire tents full of naked people . . .

:biglaugh:

always wanted to be in the ladies showers :redface2::confused::anim-smile::evilshades::evildenk: :unsure: :dance: :wacko: :nono5:

What got really scary one time in the men's shower was when the entire group started singing "He Touched Me"! I believe the line started moving a lot faster at that point.

and that proably was Martindale :rolleyes:

After hearing from other people in the way international what a great time I missed by never going to a ROA - let me tell you - I am still thankful as ever I NEVER went to one of those things. Something about sleeping outside in a freaking field in the middle of august, enduring the occasional thunderstorm never appealed to me AT ALL!!

Not even to hear the MOGFODAT teach.