GreaseSpot Cafe

Rock of Ages

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

It's mid August, hot and frequent afternoon and evening thunderstorms. Ah yes, time to go down memory lane and relive Rock of Ages. Part county/state fair, part carnival/circus, part tent revival/camp ground meeting/evangelistic crusade, and part Woodstock/Sonshine Festival. How naive we were, deceived by food and decent Christian(Jesus People Folk music). Then Bless Patrol/Homeland Security popped up(Big Brother). Way Productions from 1979 on is more like Lawerence Welk(wonder how they would view Hillsongs(Darlene Zchevchk and Ruben Morgan), Chris Tomlin, Don Moen, Toby Mac, Brian Donerksen, David Crowder, Brenton Brown, Lincoln Brewster, Rebecca St. James, Casting Crowns, delirious?, Sonic Flood, Paul and Rita Balooche, Newsboys, etc.). Any comments, pro/positive or con/negative? I know, we have had this discussion before.

• Upvote 1

wonder how they would view Hillsongs(Darlene Zchevchk and Ruben Morgan), Chris Tomlin, Don Moen, Toby Mac, Brian Donerksen, David Crowder, Brenton Brown, Lincoln Brewster, Rebecca St. James, Casting Crowns, delirious?, Sonic Flood, Paul and Rita Balooche, Newsboys, etc.). Any comments, pro/positive or con/negative? I know, we have had this discussion before.

If they viewed them at all, they would have considered them idolatrous Trinitarians and ignored them. More likely, since we were encouraged to never listen to the media much less Christian radio, we probably would not have heard of them. That, by the way, would have probably been just fine with the above artists you mentioned.

It's August, hot, sticky, afternoon and evening thunderstorms. Time to go down memory lane,yes Rock of Ages. I know, we have done this topic to death. Part county/state fair, part carnival/circus, part tent revival/campground meeting/evangelistic crusade, and part Woodstock/Christian Music Festival(Sonshine). I wonder how Selah, Good Seed, Joyful Noise, Pressed Down/ Shaken Together/Running Over would compare to Don Moen, Ron Kenoly, Darlene Zchesch and Ruben Morgan(Hillsongs), David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Brian Donerksen, Rebecca St. James, Casting Crowns, Newsboys, Sonic Flood, delirious?, etc. Pay attention to the phrase carnival and circus. We were deceived by fraudelent means through food, music, and supposed proclamation of the Gospel. It was well meaning, good(even best of) intentions, but no guarentee of the truth. Ironic, isn't it? 1 of the few truisms that Wierwille spoke. Comments welcomed

• Upvote 1

ah yes. Rock of ages..

perhaps the most interesting moment.. we watched an Ohio crayfish crawl out of a hole in the middle of a barren (except for *miraculously* cut grass).

the now ex gave the crayfish a blade of grass.. for what reason I have no idea.

The crayfish seized said piece of grass.. was satiated for whatever reason, and returned to the hole from whence it came..

:biglaugh:

I dunno. I never cared for Way-Flavored music in even my most myopic of WayDaze so that was no draw. The weather was always nigh unto unbearable. Even the air was tainted with the rank, fetid odor of rural Ohio, the infamous "egg" water, and offal of a few thousand attendees. And then there was the mud, the rain, and the fact that you're stuck in rural, fetid, inbred Ohio.

So, no, I was never an enthusiastic participant. I DID attend though. That fact alone should be mute testimony to the power of B.S. in the hands of a gifted grifter and conartist...

• Upvote 2

Eewwee, honey, I was young(er), wild and free and had the world by the tail, baby!!! I was go with the flow and heck, yeh, I'll go to a festival in Ohio. I would have gone just about anywhere with anybody. I was a little country girl and wanted to explore the world. Ohio sounded like a good start.

Golly, how I remember a bunch of us would pile stuff in a car and just go. Throw caution to the wind, baby!!

I did have some fun. I always appreciated those that worked the roa.

After marriage and then came the children no more tenting. We had arrived!!! It was pop-up camper time!!!

When we went wow I remember praying to go to Arizona. Go west, young woman, was my mantra. We went to Iowa. Iowa??!!!!?? Where the bleep is Iowa?!!!??? What the bleep is in Iowa?!!!???

Being from the south I thought the weather in Ohhh-Hi-Oooo to be mild.

• Upvote 1

LOL at Kimberly...

Well I am ashamed to admit it but I loved ROA.. I loved the camping and the music and seeing people I hadn't seen for a year... that I only saw there... Yes I was a total TWI hippie.

I loved the adventure of traveling to get there and boy did I have some adventures every journey.. but I only went to 4 of them 79-82.

2 of them revolved around my WOW year. and one around our way home and we were bringing most of the folks that took the class and we had a blast...

Of course for me the water tasted like Michigan water (I grew up with that water flavor as a kid) so yeah I loved it,, I am originally from Michigan, a hop skip and jump away from Ohio and a similar climate so I loved it... IF I had known what I know now I wouldn't have been there but at the time I was just a young innocent having fun!

I really probably ought to tell about these in my blog .. LOL they were totally epic journeys... Ahh to be young and stupid again. Well maybe not .. but the idea of it is always better than the realities.

• Upvote 1

Hadn't thought about ROA for a while. There were some enjoyable things. Mainly catching up with friends. Never stayed in a tent or pop-up though. Hotel, hot shower and a QUIET breakfast. :) Mmm... No believing bagels, prevailing pancakes or corpse coffee in sight. :) Maybe that's why I didn't mind it so much. Sleeping in a tent on hot summer nights doesn't sound like a good time to me. But I'm an old cranky man. ;)

JT

George? Do us a favor, okay?

STAY THE HE11 AWAY FROM OUR STATE!

I've been to Snohomish, lived in Everett for three years. I hated living in Washington State, but you don't see me posting hateful things about it, now do you? If you like it, fine, stay there. But I've lived in Ohio off and on most of my life. My mother was from Ohio, and I don't appreciate your rude remarks.

WG :realmad:

• Upvote 2

I've been to Snohomish, lived in Everett for three years. I hated living in Washington State, but you don't see me posting hateful things about it, now do you? If you like it, fine, stay there. But I've lived in Ohio off and on most of my life. My mother was from Ohio, and I don't appreciate your rude remarks.

I always liked Ohio when we visited. People were nice to me, even in St. Mary's. And if there was a town with a right to be annoyed with TWIts, it was one. (Poor New Knoxville, what did they ever do to deserve the Wierwilles?)

JT

I always liked Ohio when we visited. People were nice to me, even in St. Mary's. And if there was a town with a right to be annoyed with TWIts, it was one. (Poor New Knoxville, what did they ever do to deserve the Wierwilles?)

JT

Thanks, JT. We don't have mountains or oceans, but our tomatoes are terrific! (that's not the state motto, by the way, but it could be)

• Upvote 1

ah yes. Rock of ages..

perhaps the most interesting moment.. we watched an Ohio crayfish crawl out of a hole in the middle of a barren (except for *miraculously* cut grass).

The crayfish seized said piece of grass.. was satiated for whatever reason, and returned to the hole from whence it came..

Ah, yes. They came every year. I once filled a bucket of them and kept them in my founder's hall dorm room. They can get quite large, and start fighting each other. he he

ah yes. Rock of ages..

Ham,

Now that you mention it, there were a lot of grass holes at ROA.

Scott

No problem. I'm happy to stay well away.

Peace, love...

:wave:

what did they put in those WOW hamburgers? btw, today my church had an evangelism rally at local neighbor hood park and had free food and music, no pay admission. Maybe 100 plus came out, shared about our various ministries but no preaching or bible study, just a good time, no pressure(or screaming/shouting nor cursing out other Christian denominations for having different beliefs from us) or arrogance(know it alls). There have been other Christian Music Festivals like Sonshine(different states)that were in existence from 1970's on today. After seeing recent Way Productions(religious Lawrence Welk but not even that good, lol)videos, far cry from the 1970's or today's Contemporary Praise Music scene. If ROA had not been a mind/spirit induced like drug fantasy, and had truely inspired people to work with other Christian groups instead of us vs. them mentality, who knows? maybe real miracles of healing?

"I'm still here."

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa scary wasn't it? oh the horror of it. Twilight Zone and Night Gallery aka The Way International.

Sorry George, but I agree with Watered Garden. I grew up in rural Ohio, and all the slams I see here on GS about the state get really old.

Inbred? Seriously? That was uncalled for. And fetid odor? You obviously no nothing about the state.

You have insulted my entire family heritage, and you really owe those of us that live here an apology.

Oh and as to the remark about the water, guess what? We had a natural spring, and the water tasted so good, the people from the CITIES, would come and ask if they could get a gallon or two, quite often.

And one last thing. It's freaking crawdad, not crayfish!

• Upvote 2

Waysider is right about the water in those parts; it did stink. I remember one time when my Mother-in-law lived in Celina about a block from Grand Lake St. Mary's. We would go stay with her and I swear every time I took a shower, I came out smelling worse than when I went in! :blush: We never could drink it.

But then at the ROA, any excuse to make a run into a town for beer was a good one!

But I love Ohio, even on stinky, sweaty days like today!

WG