GreaseSpot Cafe

Unemployment

Bolshevik

no, but lcm did offer my ex-husband money to leave.

do staff people even pay into unemployment benefits?

I wonder, too, if "churches" can fire someone for not being the same religion? do they get to discriminate against people based on sex, ability, race, or religion? if they don't, then whoever it is that's thinking they'll be "let go" needs to make sure they can prove that the reason they were let go is because of their sex, ability, race or religion.

you can't quit a job and collect unemployment benefits.

oh, another trick employers use to get rid of inconvenient people is job elimination. if your job is eliminated and they don't offer another, then the eliminated person can get unemployment benefits.

They would fight it. Either you would voluntarily request to go on the field, or you would be fired for performance reasons. Either way they don't have to pay.

Are you sure? I thought in Ohio you still earned unemployment as long as you didn't quit. Even if it was for performance reasons.

Are you sure? I thought in Ohio you still earned unemployment as long as you didn't quit. Even if it was for performance reasons.

That depends on the circumstances. If the company failed to disclose the performance standards or raised them after you had already agreed to one particular level, there is a chance the state might rule in your favor. For example, a couple years ago, I accepted a job with a very large company. This particular company "batch" hires. (There were 30 in my particular batch.) After orientation and training that lasted about a month, they suddenly revealed that you must maintain "quotas" for 90 days or you will be terminated. The quotas are just out of reach for a normal human being. A carrot on a stick. What happens, then, is that they have a fresh group of recruits who work their butts off trying to hit the quotas. In my particular group, there were 3 of the original 30 left standing at the 90 day mark. We were shown the door shortly after that because we couldn't continue to maintain that level of performance. Meanwhile, the company had "batch" hired 2 more groups that were following in our footsteps. The hive is always buzzing with new worker bees, determined to make quota that wasn't revealed to them until they had been there a month. So, even though I was terminated for sub-standard performance, the state ruled in my favor and granted me benefits.

They would fight it. Either you would voluntarily request to go on the field, or you would be fired for performance reasons. Either way they don't have to pay.

Waysider brought up a valid point about the "performance" issue. I don't live in Ohio, but I do live close by and our laws are similar. Ohio being an "at will" employer state and all. When one fires for performance issues, it is up to the employer to prove that performance was the issue - providing the terminated employee actually files for unemployment. This is why my former comment about not looking for people like that.

Exactly. In Ohio, you can be fired, at will, for any reason the employer thinks is appropriate, as long as the reason doesn't violate a law such as EEO. An employer can legally fire you because they simply don't like you. If, on the other hand, they say they simply don't like you "because" you are African American or Jewish or Armenian, that's a whole different scenario. Most people who find themselves in this type of situation are living paycheck to paycheck. They don't have the time or resources to really fight for much of anything, with the exception of unemployment because the burden is on the employer.

I am taking this (slightly) off topic because there might be people reading this who are on staff at TWI and who might be let go due to "performance" issues. You might be told there is nothing you can do, and you would have been told wrong. There are even instances (such as a hostile working environment) where you can quit and be entitled to unemployment benefits. When you are fired for performance issues, the employer must have a standard (preferably in writing) and clear proof (in the form of documentation) that there were problems. In the absence of those criteria, an employer will pretty much lose every time.

Churches are notorious for under paying staff, but I think the "needs based" compensation takes the cake.

from what I've observed..

if one happened to be of the *right* bloodline.. or married to the *right* bloodline.. or perhaps knew where enough skeletons were buried.. or both.. or all three..

one had the "luxury" of seeking employment elsewhere, before the fabled packed and sent off in a U-haul truck treatment others were subjected to..

I don't know how unemployment works out if one wakes up three or four states away from the last job..

I just learned a few things about unemployment. I'll just say this, if you are on staff at TWI, there really is life after TWI, trust me. No one can guarantee that nothing "bad" will happen, but I can tell you "bad" things can happen in or out of TWI. There ain't no "hedge of protection" a HQ.

I am taking this (slightly) off topic because there might be people reading this who are on staff at TWI and who might be let go due to "performance" issues. You might be told there is nothing you can do, and you would have been told wrong. There are even instances (such as a hostile working environment) where you can quit and be entitled to unemployment benefits. When you are fired for performance issues, the employer must have a standard (preferably in writing) and clear proof (in the form of documentation) that there were problems. In the absence of those criteria, an employer will pretty much lose every time.

Churches are notorious for under paying staff, but I think the "needs based" compensation takes the cake.

The shorter explanation is "termination for cause." Did the person do something bad...? of course, I'm not contradicting your post... just a different way to say it.

In the past, a person could get fired for "being too academic."