GreaseSpot Cafe

I'm Burning My Bible Tonight

JavaJane

It sounds sacreligeous to burn my bible, does it not?

I pulled it out a minute ago to look up something... hadn't pulled out the old notated leather-bound Oxford in the holy spirit dove leather case in over a year, I generally just look stuff up online if I need a verse. And when I opened it, a chill went through me. The first note I read was Galatians 6:10 As we have opportunity, let us do good until all men, especially to those who are of the household of faith. My note?

IT STARTS IN THE HOUSEHOLD.

Household, of course, meaning THE WAY INTERNATIONAL.

But we were never GOOD to each other. We talked a lot about the "love of and for God in the renewed mind in manifestation in the Household...." But we treated each other like s#*t most of the time. I knew some good people in the Way. But as far as being loving and caring towards each other? Most of it was just one person telling the other how they could improve.... sometimes it would end with a "you're the best!" Right. Tell me I am the best. Then tell me that I need to live like Jesus Christ, that is available to be like him because he was a man, just like us.

But when something bad happened, when you needed help, when you needed encouragement, when you needed some cash...

Where were they? They were right there to tell you how you had brought this upon yourself by your lack of believing. That you had opened a hole in your "hedge of protection." Maybe they didn't say it explicitly, but it sure as h3ll was implied.

I occasionally go to a Catholic church with my in-laws. They are so much more loving there. They even help out those who don't go to church. They have a food pantry we donate to. They are THERE for people when they need help. They pray in church for people who are sick, dying, or just need help. They even pray for God to bless everyone, even if they aren't Catholic or Christian.

I used to cry every time I went to a Catholic service, because the LOVE was so much more apparent than it ever was or will be in the Way. And that love doesn't even depend on whether you want it or not... or even if you think they are wrong.

So, since that Bible reminds me of all my bondage and years without real LOVE, I am burning it without reservation. I am replacing it with another version that doesn't remind me of all those years that were eaten by the locusts, where I was blinded by the legalism of the Way.

I am replacing it with another version...

I recommend the Zondervan NIV Study Bible. I have the large-print version with red-leter text and thumb-index. There's hardly any margin for notes but then I don't write in my bible. :)

I just realized that the reason I was keeping the Bible was BECAUSE of those notes. I think all those markings I put in it were more valuable to me than the printed words on the page. I mean, you could buy a Bible anywhere, right? But those notes were irreplaceable. All the Greek, Aramaic, all the holy spirit markings, all the commentary from classes and teachings...

Wow. Has my belief system changed! Yes. And I am ridding myself of my idolatry of twi doctrine above God.

I've kept mine around in case I ever wanted to write a memoir and refer to what those notes might have to offer...

Things harbor devil spirits, doncha know, JJ? Like old annotated bibles. You chase 'em out, girl! Consign them to the fiery pit right now!

Seriously, though...it's a book. It's the contents that matter. You haven't the power to destroy those.

The words themselves are easily reacquired, in our culture. Just go to the nearest bookstore and choose from scores of versions. It's often helpful to read a variety of bibles, including at least one quite modern translation, as an antidote and to stop your mind running over familiar phrases and TWI interpretations.

I did very little writing in my bible - mainly because I don't write or print neatly and I don't like to mark up books unless I buy them for that purpose. It is rather interesting to peruse my husband's well-marked-up bible to get an idea where people's heads were.

I'd keep it if for no other reason than to look back at how crazy it all was.

Its the "end of an era"..

it already happened in 1963..

Kesey dragged a piano out of his house.. and called it the "Oldest living Thing on Perry Lane"

and the "crazies"

"set about axing the hell out of it, and burning it up.."

the funny thing.. they were LAUGHING about it..

You'll have to buy the book. Its on page 52..

:biglaugh:

In and of itself,it is a book,like the american flag,when it is tattered,ripped ect.

They have a little ritual(boy scouts)it is what it represents,My bible?It is around,I just got rid of some of the way crap.

If it bothers you,get rid of it.The cult used the bible to push thier agenda,that to me is so insideous,so deceptive,well you get the picture.

I'll do a little dance for you when you do the fire thing.

It's done... But not burnt, just thrown in the trash. I have other Bibles in other versions - I especially enjoy my copy of The Message. It keeps my brain from going back to Way-ville when I read. It's nice.

I couldn't burn the thing becuase of having a very busy toddler and high winds... Didn't go well together since said toddler was velcroed to mommy and the only place I had to burn it was the grill outside.

All chants and dances were very appreciated. Especially squirrel dances. I love those. Reminds me of the Witchdoctor song done by the Chipmunks... :)

while I would normally never consider burning any book, I felt it necessary to rid myself of that one - it wasn't a Bible to me anymore. It was a Way Ministry research tool. When I want to sit and read from a Bible I want to be able to enjoy it from a fresh perspective without the shadow or taint to twi on the page.

I'm glad it's gone.

Burn that chaff!

Or in your case, trash that chaff!

I had a copy of Athletes of the Spirit. For some odd reason I'd thought it inspiring when I first watched it - in tee Auditorium. Ten years later I found my own (required purchase) copy and started to watch it. My lord, it was excruciatingly bad. Where exactly was my head, all those years ago? :confused:

AoS made it into the woodburning stove. The lake of fire, early. It went really well there!

I used to love athletes of the spirit because it "revealed" the adversaries kingdom. Heck, before I was allowed to take The Forehead's defeating the adversary class I was required to watch it. :smilie_kool_aid:

I used to love athletes of the spirit because it "revealed" the adversaries kingdom. Heck, before I was allowed to take The Forehead's defeating the adversary class I was required to watch it. :smilie_kool_aid:

You know, I "lost" my copy of that a long time ago. But remembering back, the one thing that seems to stick in my mind (I've repressed all the Forehead bad ballet) is that "stately and powerful" category of devil spirits. Because that's exactly how the leadership of TWI acts and prances about, like they are all that.

Because that's exactly how the leadership of TWI acts and prances about, like they are all that.

To me the greatest example of this is Rosalie and her standoffish ways and her saunter as she prances about like an old time southern belle.