GreaseSpot Cafe

Satellite view of International Headquarters

GarthP2000

Very interesting there, Waysider.

I imagine that infraction of any rules -- be they regarding alcohol, drugs, or anything else -- was tolerated to various extents depending on the styles of the local leadership. Is that fair to say?

For example, it sounded to me from the discussion in another thread that pot smoking was quite prevalent in some locations and virtually absent in others.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soul searcher, let me tell you, as one who was on staff for 5 years at emporia and HQ - yes, we did party, and we partied hard. If the corps in training had had any idea of how hung over their work coordinators were - well, that's why there was lots and lots of coffee.

When I was at emporia, we had the new corps coordinator move in. The staff was partying, as usual that evening, the corps was in class, we were in my room and an adjoining room, and I had gotten a couple of my buddies, who were still in residence, out of class and they were partying with us - he walked in, his first night there - and was astounded. To his credit, he never stopped the parties because his wife also liked them, she would borrow my fifth of JD when she ran out while she was privately entertaining her married boy toy she had picked out - of course, no one was supposed to figure it out, they were "just good friends."

I truly think the staff partied so hearty was because, after hours, what else is there to do in the middle of Kansas or in the corn fields of Ohio??

The Way house was built by Bo Reahard while he was in residence (1st or 2nd corps I believe). The deal was, he'd build it and if he ever left TWI would buy it from him. He never got paid. It was very nice, I was friends with he and his wife and went over there quite often.

I also wonder, does any one here remember Dean Don's house that was custom built on a beautiful wooded lot a couple of miles from HQ? I wonder who's in that one now.

Also, I am surprised Donna did not get her own house or have TWI build one for her - why did she settle for an apt. in Founder's hall? I'm surprised - all the people around. I find that odd. Even I, this greasespot has a house.

Edited by Sunesis

I also wonder, does any one here remember Dean Don's house that was custom built on a beautiful wooded lot a couple of miles from HQ? I wonder who's in that one now.

They called that the Airport Home or some such weird name when I was around. They sold the home but kept the large wooded lot adjacent to it. They have hopes that Crown will make them an offer at some point.

Also, I am surprised Donna did not get her own house or have TWI build one for her - why did she settle for an apt. in Founder's hall? I'm surprised - all the people around. I find that odd. Even I, this greasespot has a house.

Well, Donna lived in the Chalet for so long I would speculate that she missed the gravy train. Way Builder's is now defunct. If the way international did build her a home they could not hide it from their yearly audit and would need to sell it at market value to be legal, which means Donna would have to fork over the dough or go into debt. The finally learned private inurement means.

Soul searcher, let me tell you, as one who was on staff for 5 years at emporia and HQ - yes, we did party, and we partied hard. If the corps in training had had any idea of how hung over their work coordinators were - well, that's why there was lots and lots of coffee.

So that's why, when I was in rez, the staff quarters were basically off limits! :thinking:

Actually when in rez I don't think I gave any much thought as to what staff did. They did hang out with each other (well, who else is there?) and obviously could go off grounds (or could they?). In rez you hardly had time to think about what you yourself were doing except getting to the next meeting, meal, class, whatever - never mind what anyone else might be doing.

Very interesting there, Waysider.

I imagine that infraction of any rules -- be they regarding alcohol, drugs, or anything else -- was tolerated to various extents depending on the styles of the local leadership. Is that fair to say?

For example, it sounded to me from the discussion in another thread that pot smoking was quite prevalent in some locations and virtually absent in others.

I've gotten that impression, too.

In some places (and times), people were smoking pot, messing around with each other

and all sorts of things were permitted.

In some other places (and times),

they ran an incredibly tight ship and would never imagine

that victor paul wierwille was encouraging some behaviors

quietly or under-the-table with his selected cadre.

It was largely also who would be considered corruptible,

and who would be considered clean-cut Christians.

twi had a home for both- the clean-cut were visible, tithing, etc.

and the corrupt were feeding vpw's lusts, lcm's lusts, etc.

Pretty interesting there, guys and gals.

I think the places my friend lived were pretty tight ships, seeing how she didn't smoke for 20+ years.

I always figured that if I was born again, I wouldn't need to take any kind of drugs anymore.

@ Sunesis: If the new corps coordinator had disapproved of the scene he stumbled upon, could he or would he have gotten you kicked out?

I imagine it would have depended on exactly who he reported it to.

Twinky, I felt so sorry for you in-residence people. The corps had changed a lot in a couple of years since I had graduated (from the 7th) that, watching the 9, 10, 11, 12 - I was really having my doubts about the program. You guys had enough to do. There would have no reason to worry about staff.

No Soul searcher, no one would have fired us - see, it was TWI "culture" so to speak, at least at HQ and Emporia. As long as we performed our jobs, they really didn't care what we staff did on our time. Besides, the President, Dr. Wierwille was an alcoholic - Drambuie. The 7-up he drank in the morning for breakfast - a little Drambuie livened that up. Fortified to face the day, the coffee he sipped on all day - Drambuie sure gave it a zing! In the evening, he'd keep the bottle, the corps thought he was just having a little evening "nightcap" - no one had a clue by then he was buzzing heavily. Sometimes, at home, he and CG (one of his aides) would just drink it out of the bottle, as I have been told by reliable people who knew him well.

Also, many of us rode motorcycles - what else are you going to do in those remote places for fun? The rides were fun though.

OldSkool, or who ever said it, ok, I did not know that Way builders had been disbanded. I'm sure though, if DM had demanded, she could have had a house with privacy. But, too late, she couldn't have one built now without questions. Does her apartment have a secret underground shuttle to Rosie's house?

Like Oldskool said......it was called the Airport House.

As I remember it.....this home was purchased in 1979 from twi's in-house attorney (Jarvis?) that was moving out of Ohio. At the time, Don and Wanda's family needed more space and twi's abs was reaching full stride. With major renovation via Way Builders, many of twi's staff had input into the kitchen, cabinets, flooring, plumbing, etc.

And, being off-grounds.....another positive, Don's home added some distancing between him and his dad.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh, the memories: One Sunday service, Don Wierwille was the designated teacher and Walter Cumm1ns was the emcee. The auditorium was under construction and the sunday services were still being held in the OSC lunchroom during this transition period (setup crews met after the sunday noon meal every week and chair stringers were in high demand). Anyways, about 15 minutes into Don's teaching.......the fire alarm sounded and the 'lunchroom' was evacuated.

While everyone headed out the OSC building, I headed to the fire panel to see which quadrant the fire signal was designating. The blinking light designated the west end of the warehouse. Along with security, and twi's volunteer firefighters......we headed to the warehouse. Someone had rigged a little arson 'jig' in the bookstore area on the forklift racks, 3rd or 4th tier, where the fuse gave the arsonist time to descend and gain distance before the flame took hold.

Another 5 or 6 minutes had passed before the security two-way radios gave the 'all-clear' alert.....the arsonist(s) had been caught. Under hush tones, no one wanted to state who it was who started the fire.

Lo and behold......little Rxxph Wierwille and Bxbby Cummxns were the culprits. And here, their dads were front-and-center at the Sunday service that week.

Edited by skyrider

I have a question. (I always have a lot of questions)

In one of my dad's diaries he references "The Sydney House" [22 Jun '77]. He says,... "It looks sort of like one of those Historic Preservation Houses. Somehow the Way owns it and me and Ralph XXX had to move some furniture there, I'd like to do a painting of it after the Rock if I get a chance. We actually got paid and I'll use the money to but my meal ticket for the Rock. The place is really cool and they're supposed to have an Open House during the ROA."

Anyone know anything about this "Sydney House"? I'm just curious.

I think there's a thread on it somewheres Gen

Don't know if this has already been posted . . . HA used to say the land is a great investment . . . Specially w/ trees . . . Like near Crown

I don't know, but tried the GS search feature. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. If anyone knows of an old thread that talks about it, I'd appreciate a link, otherwise I might be looking for it in June still,.... eventually I think I'd find it....

Try googling "Sydney oh castle" . . . Don't forget to play Pacman

Great stone manor

Yes.......that's it. There might be other links, but here is one.

GreatStone Castle

GreatStone Castle - 1895

Perhaps no other residence in west central Ohio captures the glamour and opulence of the 1890s more than this home. Whitby Place was conceived and designed by W.H.C. Goode, one of the wealthiest men in Shelby County, Ohio, and the owner of the American Steel Scraper Company. Along with its two acres, it is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Mr. Goode named this house after Whitby, England, the Yorkshire ancestral home of the Goode family. The area is known for its rugged beauty and the beautiful mansions throughout the countryside. During a visit to the area, Goode saw an English chateau and decided to base the design of his Sidney home after it. Construction of the mansion began in 1892 and was completed in 1895 at a cost of $35,000. It is made of 18 inch thick Bedford, Indiana, limestone. It is approximately 17,000 square feet, with 30 rooms featuring hardwoods imported from throughout the world. The ten fireplaces are made out of American marble.

W.H.C. personally oversaw every detail of the construction, from its original design concept down to the types of hardware used on the doors. When he chose the land, he paid $25 for the house that was on the property and had it relocated across the street.

Whitby survived major fires in 1899 and 1941. The Goode family lived at Whitby for almost 80 years. The Way International assumed responsibility for 16 years from 1974 until 1990, when Ray and Alma Willis purchased the facility. They renamed it the Greatstone Castle. They lived there for 4 years until Frederick and Victoria Keller purchased the building in 1994. They operate it as an events center/bed and breakfast.

Edited by skyrider

Thanks Guys,

If the Way doesn't still own it I'm going to call and book a reservation for later in the summer. I'll call tomorrow on it.

woods.jpg

just wonder.. that tiny patch of green on the corner of wienerville road and highway 29.. one can see a little speck on it.. is that the original "guppy" sign?

Whether original or not I was to new a wayfer to tell, but that is in close proximity to where the guppy was planted. Picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case 7 to 10. :biglaugh:

guppy.png

So, from the satellite view the little speck is a drain culvert and the stones are reflecting the sunlight. Where as shrubs appear black. Evil little critters - :evildenk::biglaugh: