GreaseSpot Cafe

The STS and You

OldSkool

Well, so many people who have had the mis-fortune to pass through the shallowed halls of the way international have been confronted by this cult with a similar question when they did not make it to a service and were accused of mischief. A question that I thought I would pose so we could finally answer this question once and for all. (and have a few laughs in the process).

So, Grease Spotter, why wouldn't you want to attend the service?

Oh sign me Up!!!!

Brilliant sales Pitch. OldSkool, spot on!!!

But first I have to ask,.......

Do they have cake?

Maybe if they have Rum,... I'll Go....

I will never forget attending an STS while WD... Hearing the LOUD snoring from my WD coordinator (who was apprentice WC) coming from the chair next to me. At least the noise kept me from drifting off. That man slept through every meeting. WD training, fellowship, classes... Maybe that's why he was so hung ho twi.

At least the noise kept me from drifting off. That man slept through every meeting. WD training, fellowship, classes... Maybe that's why he was so hung ho twi.

Guess he found rest. :biglaugh:

You wouldn't want to be around for squirrel thinning either.

:offtopic:

It's not a diet and exercise program for squirrels, like you might think...

Nope. It's Uncle Horndog and a bunch of Staff kids with guns in the woods.

Terrifying thought, no?

You would think that back in the 70's it would have been more exciting or interesting but I can honestly say I never heard one that did not put me to sleep.

Okay and to be fair i only heard some on the WOW field and a couple with my husband... the last one was the one I heard I have already mentioned where they were teaching about devil spirits in everything and quite frankly it seriously made me start to question why I was even involved in TWI.

So yeah maybe A STS was what got me on the road toward being ready to leave... and of course that one was in 82 We listened on one of those nights when there was a lunar eclipse, in the fall..... Anyway

THe ZZZZZ"S and i can not imagine having too sit through one of those in a room with other people... and trying to stay awake.

I would have been snoring for sure LOL

You would think that back in the 70's it would have been more exciting or interesting but I can honestly say I never heard one that did not put me to sleep.

Okay and to be fair i only heard some on the WOW field and a couple with my husband... the last one was the one I heard I have already mentioned where they were teaching about devil spirits in everything and quite frankly it seriously made me start to question why I was even involved in TWI.

So yeah maybe A STS was what got me on the road toward being ready to leave... and of course that one was in 82 We listened on one of those nights when there was a lunar eclipse, in the fall..... Anyway

THe ZZZZZ"S and i can not imagine having too sit through one of those in a room with other people... and trying to stay awake.

Cool! you got to see a lunar eclipse! At least the evening wasn't a total waste.

Sunday NIGHT Service was before my time in TWI and I have never been to one live. They were still in the evening when I first became involved with the way international. Then they moved the service to the afternoon. My point? Those are the two absolute WORST times to have a on going event that you want people to come to. I guess they chose the afternoon to account for the 250 mile radius coercion that used to take place. The realize now that they can't make anyone do anything they don't want to do, so the 250 mile radius requirement went bye-bye. But either way - horribly lame product, incredibly bad presentation, scripted and read from note cards content, etc. And to boot it's in the middle of the afternoon. EGADS!

Cool! you got to see a lunar eclipse! At least the evening wasn't a total waste.

Oh yeah it was particularly nice one because of it being in the fall and iearly in the evening so it was low in the sky and it was a full eclipse... so it really was the best part of the evening, And honestly looking back now i htink we were begining to move away from TWI at that point it would be a few more months till we left but it was a beginning

For the longest time, getting the tapes wasn't a drag. I ran a Twig in a little town south of Houston, and I could listen to what I thought were usually decent teachings. If there was something I could use in my fellowship, fine. If not, no biggie.

THEN...

STS tapes became the end-all and be-all of TWI teaching. Spend one fellowship listening to the tape; spend the other two that week re-hashing the same tape. (I was not a Twig leader at that time.) Instead of being a way to spread the Gospel, the tapes became (another) way to control the masses. :realmad:

George

1. Listen to the tape (or live during phone hookup)

2. Listen to the review on the following week's tape before the main teaching

3. Listen to the teaching at twig based on the previous Sunday's teaching topic

4. Listen to the review of the tape at twig

Yup...four times for each subject

1. Listen to the tape (or live during phone hookup)

2. Listen to the review on the following week's tape before the main teaching

3. Listen to the teaching at twig based on the previous Sunday's teaching topic

4. Listen to the review of the tape at twig

Yup...four times for each subject

You missed one Oak...

5. Read the review of the tape in the next bimonthly Way Mag...

and for some..

6. Listen to the review at twig of the tape's review in the just released Way Mag...

Edited by TrustAndObey

You missed one Oak...

5. Read the review of the tape in the next bimonthly Way Mag...

and for some..

6. Listen to the review at twig of the tape's review in the just released Way Mag...

The followers list:

1. Arrive early,

-- Put on your "game-face" and be sure to kiss a little A$$.

2. Take copious notes and look engaged during the tape and fellowship

-- It's important to be seen as "getting it"

3. Smile and nod vigorously when important sounding points are made in the STS.

-- You don't want to be sent to the cornfield, do you?

4. Give generously when the ABS is called for

-- You're grateful for the wonderful new things you've learned. Smile, God loves a cheerful giver!

5. After the fellowship (whether branch or twig) have some kool-aid, coffee and socialize a bit

-- Say thing like that was a good teaching, a very good teaching. We sure are blessed to have such wonderful teachers.

6. Compliment the Branch/twig Coordinator for running the STS fellowship

-- you don't want to be told "You're a bad man! You're a very bad man!"

Appendix:

Twilight Zone Episode - It's a Good Life - Season 3, Episode 8

Notes on Questioning Authority:

============================

Mr. Fremont: It's snowing outside! Anthony, are you making it snow?

Anthony: Yes, I'm making it snow.

Mr. Fremont: Why that'll ruin half the crops! You know that, don't you, half the crops! That's what that...

Anthony: <scowls,.....>

Mr Freemont: But it's good that you're making it snow, Anthony, it's real good.

Notes Concerning Attendance:

Anthony: No kids came to play with me today, not a single one, and I wanted someone to play with!

Mr. Fremont: Well, Anthony, you remember what happened the last time some kids came over to play. The little Fredricks boy and his sister.

Anthony: I had a real good time.

Mr. Fremont: Oh, sure you did, you had a real good time, and it's good that you have a good time, it's real good. It's just that...

Anthony: It's just that what?

Mr. Fremont: Well, Anthony, you uh... you wished them away into the cornfield, and their mommy and daddy were real upset.

Guarding your thoughts:

"Pretty soon," Aunt Amy said, from the stove, "there won't be any more new things. We'll have found everything there is to find. Goodness, that'll be too bad "

"Amy!"

"Well--" her pale eyes were shallow and fixed, a sign of her recurrent vagueness. "It will be kind of a shame no new things

"Don't talk like that," Mom said, trembling. "Amy, be quiet!"

"It's good," said Dad, in the loud, familiar, wanting-to-be-overheard tone of voice. "Such talk is good. It's okay, honey don't you see? It's good for Amy to talk any way she wants. It's good for her to feel bad. Everything's good. Everything has to be good . .

Anthony's mother was pale. And so was Aunt Amy--the peril of the moment had suddenly penetrated the clouds surrounding her mind. Sometimes it was difficult to handle words so that they might not prove disastrous. You just never knew. There were so many things it was wise not to say, or even think--but remonstration for saying or thinking them might be just as bad, if Anthony heard and decided to do anything about it. You could just never tell what Anthony was liable to do.

Everything had to be good. Had to be fine just as it was, even if it wasn't. Always. Because any changes might be worse. So terribly much worse.

Who runs Peaksville? (New Knoxville)

Rod serling/Narrator: No comment here, no comment at all. We only wanted to introduce you to one of our very special citizens, little Anthony Fremont, age 6, who lives in a village called Peaksville in a place that used to be Ohio. And if by some strange chance you should run across him, you had best think only good thoughts. Anything less than that is handled at your own risk, because if you do meet Anthony you can be sure of one thing: you have entered the Twilight Zone.

Now in our case, the monster is not a six-year old and the cornfield doesn't have any corn....

Gen-2,

That made my day. Thanks!

And on another note, isn't it ironic that this is supposedly the hottest damn bible teaching on the planet, and they can't even fill more than the center three rows without busing in people from out of town. Plus, and maybe more importantly, they have to coerce the staff to attend, make the in-residentured way corpse attend, and have folks check a lit that they were there?

Rhetorically Your,

Mr. Skool

i just can't have fun with this sheet -- i'm trying -- i think i've been on here too long

Oh, it's not limited to humor. I am trying to keep somewhat light on these topics, even though these topics have had a very negative effect on my life and family. What you post is appreciated.

Oh, and what is even funnier than the STS at HQ is watching this "prevailing practice" unfold at other root locations. Or at least it used to be funnier because now their numbers have shrunk up to the point where they don't DO STS at other root locations. Actually they don't have other "root" locations any more. Camp Gunnison is scaled back to a camping place for Wayfers, including classes. Actually, the Way has more shrinkage than George Costanza on a certain episode of Seinfeld.

So you have "Big Cheese #1" at HQ doing all the STS. Then you have "Little Cheese #2" at a root location. They want to be just like the big cheesy. So they diligently apply themselves to duplicate all the minute and the mundane of the STS at HQ because it "sets the pattern". Except at HQ at least you have a few people rotating in to read cards off the stage. The different pitches of the monotonous tones at least has the potential to keep you from snoozing. And at HQ you have a machine behind the musicians, along with the guiding hand of Rosie over it all to ensure all of it is gay enough to attract the attention of comedians on cable (see GS front page for example). Not so at Little Cheesy central. What do you have for music? Chicks wearing drapes. People with extremely low talent and extremely high ego. But they are "blessed" to be among the few that have the nose buried up little cheesy so they can perform. What do you have for teaching? Suck@ge central. Because anyone with enough lips on service to achieve the Little Cheesy position has long ago given up any vestige of personality they once ever had. It is a literal comedy of imitation. With a captive audience. Because of course, you know since they have the no escape during STS policies at HQ, we absolutely have to have them at Little Cheesy Central.

The brain. It can be washed, it just can't be dressed up and taken out.