GreaseSpot Cafe

What was The Way International Research Team

James Trimm

Back in July of 1994 I faxed some of my research on Aramaic New Testament Origins and some of my early translation work to The Way International Research Team.

A few days later I got this letter in the mail telling me that the Research Team had been disbanded:

waydoc001.jpg

I sent it to the "Research Team" because they were listed as the authors of the Pedangta Concordance.

Since that time I have also gotten a couple of GMIR articles on Aramaic NT origins, one by Karen Masterson and the other by Daniel McConaughy Ph.D. back in 1984/85.

My question (because I was not there):

What was the nature and function of the Research Team? Where Masterson and McConaughy members of this team? Were there people working on the Aramaic research that were not on this team?

I would love some insight into the Aramaic origins research and work that were taking place back then.

Why was the team disbanded? Why was the Aramaic research ended? Who were the Research Team members? I am really curious about this element in TWI history.

Edited by James Trimm

There may have been a lot of well intentioned individuals who worked in the "research department" over the years, but, as far as Wierwille was concerned, it was all just window dressing for his get-rich, MLM scheme.

Otherf than the printed material, here's about all that's really left of the Aramaic Research. Still you might find it helpful

http://www.pedangta.org/lexicon/

There's an Aramaic Font (TrueType) there, and you can search words from the concordance.

Edit: of course you'll notice:

© The Way International 1988-89. All rights reserved. The contents and results of this search tool may not be used without the prior written consent of The Way International

So cheat and go here:

http://www.atour.com/~lexicon/

Edited by Gen-2

Research is a farce as the way international is concerned. They do no real research. The compare what the authorized, and subsequently approved, teachers have to say via a meticulously control process called research. This "research" is defined by their own vice president, John Rupp, in their foundational class as "re-search" - because the search over and over again to make sure what had been taught is right.

In reality, this process is their lawsuit proof method of controlling teachers content to make sure it aligns with "proven ministry research." That means everything currently released has to jive with everything else released heretofore that is lawsuit proof; thus making sure the prevailing word prevails another day.

You doubt?

Then why the revised control process in place that all teachers must pass - even though they are billed as Rev. (or Mr. or Mrs.) so and so are teaching the word?

Why are all way magazine articles subjected to this same process?

Why are all advanced class special teachers subjected to this same process?

Why all the extra work making newly revised classes are just so?

Why does virtually anything released, regardless the media, have to jive with what Dr. Wierwille, or another "accepted teacher", taught?

Why did the way international remove ALL of Reverend Martindale's Way Corps meetings and Sunday Night / Teaching Services from the libraries at Headquarters and Camp Gunnison?

Those are just a few rhetorical questions I am able to pose off the top of my head. I would love this to come up in a court of law. Talk about reasonable doubt! God forbid WAYGB ever grows a pair and starts talking. Good grief!

James,

To give a little more clarification on your question, the Way International Research Team was a department at TWI that was headed up by a gentleman named Walter Cummins, who I believe still lives in the New Bremen area. It was formed to help VP on some of his more research focused books. The culmination or most notable works of this department probably were VP's two books - "Jesus Christ Our Promised Seed", which was a focus on OT prophecies of the Messiah as well as pinpointing his birth from astronomy. Also, "Jesus Christ Our Passover", which is an effort at a harmony of the gospels surrounding the Messiah's last 2 weeks on earth.

Bernita Jess was a woman who along with her husband lived in the local cental Ohio area and were long-time members of TWI since VP was a minister for an Evangelical and Reformed church before the start of TWI. Bernita's husband George Jess was the first coordinator of the Way Corps, which is TWI's leadership traning program. Bernita herself I believe became interested in the Eastern culture and customs and the Aramaiac language during the time that Dr. George Lamsa interacted with VPW and taught him Eastern culture and Orientalisms. As she states in her letter, she was in charge of that project. She was actually a sweet lady, and I think she has since passed away. She actually understated a lot - she was the de facto person in charge of Aramaiac research for most of the time in our ministry that I can recall - although she doesn't say that - she was not egotistical or extremely outspoken. She wrote a column for the Way magazine monthly for decades on Eastern customs and orientalisms. Bernita's comment in your letter is accurate. The only research done are small hand selected teams picked directly by the President and on a particular project for a certain time.

Of that team of people that worked on that Aramaiac project, I believe a poster here was involved. Penworks, or Charlene Edge. You can find out more about her in her articles here - http://www.greasespotcafe.com/main2/editorial/editorial-items/affinity.html, here - http://www.greasespotcafe.com/main2/editorial/editorial-items/nostalgia.html and in her profile here - http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/user/3152-penworks/

After VPW's death, the next president of TWI, L. Craig Martindale, was certainly not inclined to develop or expand the research department. In fact, exactly the opposite - he ran off most of them. There were two people that helped him - Wayne Clapp and Jon Nessle, both of which were kicked out either by Martindale, or the current president Rosalie Rivenbark. Those two gentlemen had more Greek background than Aramaiac, and since that time have traveled down the road and set up shop at Tipp City OH with an offshoot ministry called Christian Family Fellowship, or www.cffm.org. Both the 2nd and 3rd president of TWI are referred to by certain nicknames on this site, like "the Forehead" or "LCM" for Martindale, and "Q-Tip" or variations of "Rosie" or takeoffs for Rivenbark. Under the 3rd president Rivenbark, there continued on to be no research department. Possibly 5 years ago one gentleman came in to work at TWI HQ who had been a field leader for many years - David Chavoustie. His current job last I knew was the "Research" department. However, he is the only employee and works there only part time.

The Aramaiac works were done during a very short period of time close to VPW the founding President's death. That was the peak of TWI both in numbers overall, finances, properties, and also the largest size of the Research department. That time or those resources were there for maybe 2-4 years, and will likely never be duplicated again.

Hope that gives you some more background.

Edited by chockfull

Possibly 5 years ago one gentleman came in to work at TWI HQ who had been a field leader for many years - David Chavoustie. His current job last I knew was the "Research" department. However, he is the only employee and works there only part time.

There is no research department. It is a designation that is given a person mentioned above who works for Polly Rotunda, who is the department coordinator for President's Publications. David spent a majority of his time as cabinet over building services and architecture and engineering when I was around. He did no true research. What he did was work topics, comparing them to proven ministry research...aka...Dr. Wierwille's works, Way Magazines, etc. Any research that actually happened in the past is now squelched and only in name does it occur.

Kudos to Chockfull for the background information. Rest assured that anymore it is all history, as the current way international proves by their works, or lack thereof. Too bad everyone else isn't as stupid as Frau Q-Tip would like to believe....pssst...hey Rosie....your mantra of "let em speculate" seems to be kicking you in the rear...eh?

Edited by OldSkool

There is no research department. It is a designation that is given a person mentioned above who works for Polly Rotunda, who is the department coordinator for President's Publications. David spent a majority of his time as cabinet over building services and architecture and engineering when I was around. He did no true research. What he did was work topics, comparing them to proven ministry research...aka...Dr. Wierwille's works, Way Magazines, etc. Any research that actually happened in the past is now squelched and only in name does it occur.

Kudos to Chockfull for the background information. Rest assured that anymore it is all history, as the current way international proves by their works, or lack thereof. Too bad everyone else isn't as stupid as Frau Q-Tip would like to believe....pssst...hey Rosie....your mantra of "let em speculate" seems to be kicking you in the rear...eh?

David also had a sidekick from what I remember, guy named Gene Slavit. Did you encounter him? I thought he might be "helping" David by bringing him doughnuts while he was working the "proven research". And LOL at "proven research" - that's just American Christian Press. Polly I believe also is in charge of their website, or of whoever does it. And again, LOL at "President's Publications". WTF has Frau Q-Tip ever published in the 10 years she's been President? Nada? New book covers for the FNC Studies in Abundant Living books? Oh, I know - the "Vision and Direction" document? Don't even get me started ...

Edited by chockfull

Ha. Gene was in Way Publications. As far as I know he did not help David, even though he is more than qualified. No doubt Polly is entwined with the website's lame a$$ content. Overall, I think Steve Longley via computer services is the website "direct report." But that changes as fast as underwear at times, so not sure now.

And, Frau has published a big ole pile of jack $h1t! It's enough for that geriatric to re-work the FNC and INT class over an 8 year span. I mean INEPT! President's Publication's is totally a hold over from when they had a "president" that actually published something.

To give a little more clarification on your question, the Way International Research Team was a department at TWI that was headed up by a gentleman named Walter Cummins, who I believe still lives in the New Bremen area. It was formed to help VP on some of his more research focused books. The culmination or most notable works of this department probably were VP's two books - "Jesus Christ Our Promised Seed", which was a focus on OT prophecies of the Messiah as well as pinpointing his birth from astronomy. Also, "Jesus Christ Our Passover", which is an effort at a harmony of the gospels surrounding the Messiah's last 2 weeks on earth.

(snip)

[Let's be honest. The Research Department wrote both books, which is why their

writing style is superior to all other books that say "by victor paul wierwille"

on them. IIRC (which I may not), vpw wrote a foreword or preface to the book,

but otherwise it was all their work. (If he didn't, he wrote none of it.)

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, if he's put "EDITED BY victor paul wierwille" on it,

I'd object less. The thinking would be that he was acknowledging that the

material was work by others, even anonymous others, and that he was claiming

overall direction of them, not direct authorship. The idea is that, since they

were following "his" rules, that "he" was editor by proxy, despite Wa1ter Cumm1ns

being the one who oversaw the entire department as well as both books.

There were a SMALL number of them, but some of that small number was trained

in accredited universities with formal degrees in languages like Greek, Aramaic

and so on.]

Bernita Jess was a woman who along with her husband lived in the local cental Ohio area and were long-time members of TWI since VP was a minister for an Evangelical and Reformed church before the start of TWI. Bernita's husband George Jess was the first coordinator of the Way Corps, which is TWI's leadership traning program. Bernita herself I believe became interested in the Eastern culture and customs and the Aramaiac language during the time that Dr. George Lamsa interacted with VPW and taught him Eastern culture and Orientalisms. As she states in her letter, she was in charge of that project. She was actually a sweet lady, and I think she has since passed away. She actually understated a lot - she was the de facto person in charge of Aramaiac research for most of the time in our ministry that I can recall - although she doesn't say that - she was not egotistical or extremely outspoken. She wrote a column for the Way magazine monthly for decades on Eastern customs and orientalisms. Bernita's comment in your letter is accurate. The only research done are small hand selected teams picked directly by the President and on a particular project for a certain time.

Of that team of people that worked on that Aramaiac project, I believe a poster here was involved. Penworks, or Charlene Edge. You can find out more about her in her articles here - http://www.greasespotcafe.com/main2/editorial/editorial-items/affinity.html, here - http://www.greasespotcafe.com/main2/editorial/editorial-items/nostalgia.html and in her profile here - http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/user/3152-penworks/

[That was the status of things up to 1985, when vpw dropped dead.]

After VPW's death, the next president of TWI, L. Craig Martindale, was certainly not inclined to develop or expand the research department. In fact, exactly the opposite - he ran off most of them. There were two people that helped him - Wayne Clapp and Jon Nessle, both of which were kicked out either by Martindale, or the current president Rosalie Rivenbark. Those two gentlemen had more Greek background than Aramaiac, and since that time have traveled down the road and set up shop at Tipp City OH with an offshoot ministry called Christian Family Fellowship, or www.cffm.org. Both the 2nd and 3rd president of TWI are referred to by certain nicknames on this site, like "the Forehead" or "LCM" for Martindale, and "Q-Tip" or variations of "Rosie" or takeoffs for Rivenbark. Under the 3rd president Rivenbark, there continued on to be no research department. Possibly 5 years ago one gentleman came in to work at TWI HQ who had been a field leader for many years - David Chavoustie. His current job last I knew was the "Research" department. However, he is the only employee and works there only part time.

The Aramaiac works were done during a very short period of time close to VPW the founding President's death. That was the peak of TWI both in numbers overall, finances, properties, and also the largest size of the Research department. That time or those resources were there for maybe 2-4 years, and will likely never be duplicated again.

[shortly after vpw's death came the first reading of "the Passing of the Patriarch."

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/main2/waydale/waydale-miscellaneous/passing-of-the-patriarch.html

(The entire contents are on the GSC for your perusal. There have been entire threads discussing

it, its contents, and so on.) The upshot for purposes of this thread is that the end of 1986 and

the beginning of 1987 saw some of the higher-ups in twi leaving twi- partly due to POP and partly

due to other truths coming to light to them about vpw being a liar, rapist, molester, etc.

In 1989, lcm- President of twi since the early 1980s, but not the sole figure until vpw dropped

dead in 1985- demanded an oath of loyalty from every single person in twi. When someone who knew

him personally asked him to clarify and said it sounded like he was asking to be FOLLOWED BLINDLY,

lcm himself said the other guy "HAD BEEN DOING THAT ALL ALONG",(whereupon the other guy proved that

wasn't the case and said lcm could kiss part of his anatomy). Not counting the people who left

the other year (or the slow trickle of people who started leaving since vpw died), lcm's demand for

all leadership and all rank-and-file to swear their loyalty to him resulted in 4/5 of the group

refusing to do so. When that happened, lcm fired 4/5 of all the leadership at every level-

at the Region, the State/Limb, Territory (parts of states), and Branch (groups of the local

fellowships meeting at people's homes.) He could not fire the Twig/fellowship leaders since they

were all volunteers. When lcm fired 4/5 of the leadership, 4/5 of the current membership got up

and walked off from twi. Many stayed in touch locally, and many leaders stayed together, since they

left as a unit, so they were able to continue largely as before, with final orders coming from

the Region or Limb level rather than HQ in Ohio. At that time, Wa1ter Cumm1ns left HQ, and

most of the research department left with him. (After that, the way magazine started running

all its articles with lots and lots of images, illustrations and photos, which just happen to

replace large amounts of text, as if they wanted to hide that they had nobody left to write

for them. Furthermore, when they taught on "Word in Culture" after that, it was entirely about

how to submit an article for inclusion in the way magazine. Even with all that, the magazine

got a bit thinner- even with most of its content being anything but text.)

The remaining members of the research department left over the next few years as lcm slowly began

making loopier and loopier commands. Any who remained by the time rosalie rivenbark was placed

in the top chair left when they got tired of her even more restrictive commands. This is a woman

who had been in charge of the twi Bookstore, and ordered that every employee sign in and out when

leaving for any reason-including going to the bathroom. She got more legalistic as she got more

authority.

Currently, all people with ACCREDITED RESEARCH educations have left twi. Currently, twi has nothing

to interest any more from ever signing on.

So, the twi Research Department has been "dead" for years.]

And while the Aramaic project was (probably) the closest thing to real research ever done (my opinion), the "research" that got the most attention was the blockbuster discovery that adultery and fornication were actually sexual sins and not referring to spiritual matters. When this was brought into the open, several of the women who had formerly thought they were being sexually healed and performing great works for the "man of God" or whomever else they were servicing, discovered they were not receiving spiritual blessings, but were being used. TWI managed to keep much of this unknown to the really faithful who continued to submit to the sexual predators until someone wised up and sued.

What came out of all this was that there were two distinct set of theologies - what was written, and what was unwritten but spoken to a select group and practiced. What little research that was ever done was done away with to eliminate the possibility of further discoveries.

This is a woman who had been in charge of the twi Bookstore, and ordered that every employee sign in and out when

leaving for any reason-including going to the bathroom. She got more legalistic as she got more

authority.

This practice was in full swing as late as 2008 in way publications, where she was the department coordinator and presidents cabinet for many years. She was way pub right up until she became vice president in 1996. Many other departments had this practice as well, esp. departments that were in her cabinet area. The victims had to sign out on note paper located in a common location, usually where anyone and everyone could see it, and then write the location(s) going to: restroom, lobby, bookstore,other departments, break, etc.

James,

Of that team of people that worked on that Aramaiac project, I believe a poster here was involved. Penworks, or Charlene Edge. You can find out more about her in her articles here - http://www.greasespo...s/affinity.html, here - http://www.greasespo.../nostalgia.html and in her profile here - http://www.greasespo.../3152-penworks/

Hi, this is Penworks checking in. Nice summary, Chockfull.

James, if you're interested, you can check out my story (as nicely referred to above) posted here on the front page. Called, Affinity for Windows, it is a nutshell version of my involvement with the so-called Research Team at TWI. Also there is that old New Lawsuit thread that contains some info on the Aramaic work we did and what happened in 1984-86.

Cheers!

President's Publications was even a joke when I was on Staff. Before working at HQ, I thought Martindale was spending his days working the Word and writing magazine articles and developing teachings all day. After I started working in Word Processing, Pres Pub would have us type up whole teachings from Sunday Night Services. Then they would edit them and trim them down to a magazine article. I was unimpressed even then. Magazine articles were no more than rehashed teachings from the adulterer.

Otherf than the printed material, here's about all that's really left of the Aramaic Research. Still you might find it helpful

http://www.pedangta.org/lexicon/

There's an Aramaic Font (TrueType) there, and you can search words from the concordance.

Edit: of course you'll notice:

© The Way International 1988-89. All rights reserved. The contents and results of this search tool may not be used without the prior written consent of The Way International

So cheat and go here:

http://www.atour.com/~lexicon/

Naturally, the cuss-blocker changes every instance of Pesh-tta, even in the links! If you want to use Gen's first link, you'll have to cut-and-paste into your browser and replace the "dang"! :lol:

George