GreaseSpot Cafe

What was the purpose of FellowLaborers?

waysider

In the 1970s, there were FellowLaborer programs in multiple locations. If I understand correctly, there were programs in Ohio, Kentucky, California and Florida. Perhaps there were others. I really don't know. Curiously, there was no uniformity. The California program was 6 months. The Kentucky program was one year. The Ohio program was 2 years. Some people lived on-site. Some people lived off-site, etc. Oh, I understand the logic of needing people to maintain limb facilities and coordinate statewide activities, but, was it really necessary to have programs that were specifically dedicated to that purpose? My personal theory (and I think this accounts for the diversity.) is that Wierwille was experimenting with franchise models. The Corps was growing at an exponential rate. I think VPW saw it as an opportunity to expand that type of product model into multiple markets via franchise-like programs.

Any thoughts?

Edited by waysider

In the 1970s, there were FellowLaborer programs in multiple locations. If I understand correctly, there were programs in Ohio, Kentucky, California and Florida. Perhaps there were others. I really don't know. Curiously, there was no uniformity. The California program was 6 months. The Kentucky program was one year. The Ohio program was 2 years. Some people lived on-site. Some people lived off-site, etc. Oh, I understand the logic of needing people to maintain limb facilities and coordinate statewide activities, but, was it really necessary to have programs that were specifically dedicated to that purpose? My personal theory (and I think this accounts for the diversity.) is that Wierwille was experimenting with franchise models. The Corps was growing at an exponential rate. I think VPW saw it as an opportunity to expand that type of product model into multiple markets via franchise-like programs.

Any thoughts?

To add to your list, I think there were also FL programs in Indiana and Texas. I simply have a hard time believing that VP was that smart. My thoughts are that during the time you're referencing, there were no root canals, er, I mean root locales. VP knew he was going to need "grunts", that is leaders, to advance the ministry and that he was going to neeed them fairly quickly. I know he personally asked Earl B. to start a program in Ohio. Earl also started the program in Texas when he was sent there I believe. If I remember correctly, all but the Ohio and Texas programs were shut down. By then TWI had the root canals, er, I mean root locales and they needed bodies to fund that program. I also don't think Wierwille could stand the competition from the field that products of in-state programs were just as capable, and in some cases better, than the Way Corps he personally trained and so desperately needed to promote. Furthermore, if a good Limb Leader (remember when they were called leaders?) got a good following, he might have to compete with that leader for a following.

So I think the FL programs were started to meet a need that TWI had but they came up with a better solution.

Edited by Broken Arrow

I didn't know that different states had different programs. OTHO, I got the impression that the local limb leader had a lot of power to define the program. I could be wrong. In California the Fellow Laborers seemed to be a Corps for the people who wanted and were otherwise qualified to enter the Corps but couldn't get their sponsorship together. The bottom line was more slaves to run the limb.

• Upvote 1

Been thinking.. what was the purpose of Fellowlaborers?

I think it was the same purpose of da corps, college division, university of life, wow program..

in contrast to "revelation" I think the victoid tried out a few ideas. The fellowlaborer program seemed to "fit" hippies or barely ex-hippies, living in some kind of communal situation, eating tofu, beans, lentils and the like. Beat them up with work and confrontation.. those who chose to "grow up" in herr verd moved on..

apparently from a marketing sense, it ended up being a failure. Or maybe not quite the success realized from corps and wow program.

Same for the college division.

I think the vicster just plowed under whatever venture that didn't turn enough bucks..

The purpose? I think it was a deranged experiment..

Been thinking.. what was the purpose of Fellowlaborers?

I think it was the same purpose of da corps, college division, university of life, wow program..

in contrast to "revelation" I think the victoid tried out a few ideas. The fellowlaborer program seemed to "fit" hippies or barely ex-hippies, living in some kind of communal situation, eating tofu, beans, lentils and the like. Beat them up with work and confrontation.. those who chose to "grow up" in herr verd moved on..

apparently from a marketing sense, it ended up being a failure. Or maybe not quite the success realized from corps and wow program.

Same for the college division.

I think the vicster just plowed under whatever venture that didn't turn enough bucks..

The purpose? I think it was a deranged experiment..

And, to add......

1) Before the Emporia/Rome City campuses became the full-throttle project of developing "leaders".......Fellow Laborers was one of the "farm teams" before hitting the "major leagues" (ie corps training).

2) When wierwille & company had enough money/support to start funding campuses.....he then was able to "increase" and all state programs (grassroots) became "lesser." Of course, this was his narcisstic plan all along.

I was once told that the WC was getting too big to handle at one locale and so they were having FL programs to see if they could do in-state WC type programs to supplement the WC. I was there 1976-77 and during that time they acquired I think Emporia and I know Rome City in 1977, so I am pretty sure Broken Arrow is right.

And for me personally the FLO program was not a complete loss; I met my wonderful Mr. Garden there!

WG

• Upvote 1

Didn't E@rl Burt0n move from NC to Ohio?

Possibly....he started this one before wierwille assigned him to Ohio?

I don't think so, you might be right. EB went from North Carolina into the 1st Corps and then took the Limb of Ohio.

JAL may have started FL in North Carolina, but I think it was a guy named Du0g Em3rs0n.

I was once told that the WC was getting too big to handle at one locale and so they were having FL programs to see if they could do in-state WC type programs to supplement the WC. I was there 1976-77 and during that time they acquired I think Emporia and I know Rome City in 1977, so I am pretty sure Broken Arrow is right.

And for me personally the FLO program was not a complete loss; I met my wonderful Mr. Garden there!

WG

I think they acquired Emporia in '74. The 6th Corps and the first year of the College Division program began in '75.

Now that I think more clearly, you are correct. Emporia was opened in 1974. In fact, I think some WOW branches were invited to the grand opening and my 4th WC WOW "sister" and a couple of her cronies may have actually gone.

I don't recall learning much Bible in those two years, but I can tell a weed from a radish, which endeared me to my future husband's heart right away.

I also learned, to J*m Mil*ne's dismay, what creosote will do when poured on a lawn. Poured, not even spilled. I learned to hate eggplant, Swiss chard, and mustard greens.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

Didn't E@rl Burt0n move from NC to Ohio?

Possibly....he started this one before wierwille assigned him to Ohio?

I'm pretty sure Doug Emerson, the first husband of Connie P@n@rell@, started the NC Fellowlaborers Program because he was the Limb Leader at the time.

Edited by DogLover