GreaseSpot Cafe

Polygamy

waysider

By virtue of his own definitions, as set forth in the CF&S class, VPW was a polygamist.

CF&S (somewhat paraphrased)

1."Intercourse is always a spiritual event."

2."Consummation, because it is spiritual in nature, is the defining criteria for marriage in God's eyes, not the laws of man."

Where he got these ideas, I don't know. He said he didn't have scriptures to back much of what he was saying and told us we would "just have to trust me"(him).

Reminds me of the motivation for the group weddings at HQ for some reason...

Well you know, "any two believers can make a marriage work."

I mean, really, just look at what a wonderful, monogamous, loving example VPW and Dottsie were.

(Ouch!, I think I just bit my tongue.)

That must be why in the newer regurgitation (oops.. iteration?) of that class, "Living God's Word as a Family", is at pains to emphasize the monogamous marriage. Back when I took that in 2004, I had been around about 4 years, and NO idea about the sordid past of the way. I found that out MUCH later, when I got a computer. No wonder RR despises the interwebs so much...

• 1 month later...

actually.. why have WIVES when you can have an inner circle of underhanded, ruthless cutthroats and worse who can supply you with a steady stream of DISPOSABLE women?

No, they weren't his wives..

no *real* commitment on his part..

i am not an expert on polygamy - but i am aspiring to be an expert on the HBO series "Big Love" :rolleyes: .....and not that i think polygamy is ok or anything but on the show the main character played by Bill Paxton showed genuine commitment, concern, support and care for his 3 wives.

given that ideal presented in "Big Love" - i would have to say vp was not a polygamist in terms of making any matrimonial commitments - he was a sexual predator - plain and simple, who used the "ministry" as a cloak to hide his unconscionable behavior.

and if he really taught his men(?) da "greatness of da WORD".. in doctrine and practice, why did they go along with it?

I guess the concept is "no friends when it comes to da word" only when it is not convenient..

Exodus 21:10 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

11 And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.

In OT times, if a man took another wife, he had exactly the same duty to support all of them completely. Not permitted to favor the new wife above the wife of his youth (no sporting the new trophy wife over the wife who's now old and wrinkled). And still has to treat the new wife/wives properly too.

I believe that in countries where polygamy is practiced, that's till the case. Can't show any favoritism. Must treat them all the same - generously. Feed them, clothe them, treat them lovingly.

Well, Dotsie was fed and clothed...don't know about the duty of marriage (sexual intercourse).

If a "spiritual" marriage, he has exactly the same duties to all his other "wives". (Sorry, Excathedra). Man, no wodner he needed so much ABS coming in...to support all those "wives".

:evilshades:

yeah, and by his own imagination he was THE man of god "in this day and time and hour".

Only thing i can figure is there must have been some kind of MOG shortage at the time.

Or maybe he just "embellished " his resume to get the job.

Only thing i can figure is there must have been some kind of MOG shortage at the time.

Or maybe he just "embellished " his resume to get the job.

Embellished? His whole life was a work of fiction. And not really good fiction at that.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

what is even the need for a resume..

sorry the kid and grandkid feel the same..

I hope the miserable bastards don't practice the same kind of polygamy. Of course, that is wishful thinking..

Well, there's "physical" polygamy and then there's "spiritual" polygamy, dontcha know?

Haha!---Just playing off of Wierwille's old rationalization that adultery in the Bible is supposedly "spiritual" adultery.

He taught it. Then he thumbed his nose at it in defiance. He was about as spiritually tuned in as my old crystal radio.

My link

Edited by waysider