GreaseSpot Cafe

The way international

OldSkool

I actually hired someone to take what I did at the the way international and translate it into real world terminology. The result was I wound up having a lot less experience than I thought I had, or was told by the way international I would have. It was quite a shocker.

Now, around the farm at the way international the staffers feed on their new found "corporate legitimacy" (which is not legitimate) and fancy themselves the best in the world at whatever they do. I have heard the negative comparison's from the rank and file staffers all the way up to Rosalie herself. Oh they cite the same talking points: attention to detail, reporting back, communication, multi-level redundant approval process, holy spirit filled believers giving off the love of God in everything they touch, etc.

Needless to say none of these things are coveted in "the world" the way the wayfers on staff like to imagine. My resume was not finessed, it was professionally done. All the fluff was removed and what was left was lower management at best should I have chosen to follow what I did in TWI as a career. Although, I was in the upper echelon at TWI and at one time thought I was amongst the best leaders in the world....it has been a rough wake up call.

Well, I could ramble but I am interested in everyone's perspectives and experiences on this topic. So, here is a fresh pinata, have fun!

Edited by pawtucket

I think a lot of people were surprised at how unqualified they were when they left Wayworld. Former Limb leaders that used to jump on our cases about believing God suddenly found themselves in the unemployment line with nothing to show for themselves except they were with TWI for 10 years.

No experience with anything else. Does TWI even pay into social security? I'm pretty sure they don't pay into unemployment. If they don't, then these staffers find themselves being out of the SS system for many years so nothing has been saved up for retirement. Stuff you don't consider when you're 23, 24 years old.

Of course, some of them just started an offshoot and started making even more money. Woe unto them if they ever need to stop doing that for health reasons or whatever.

I remember one time a Limb leader's wife complained about how little her husband was making. Her claim was that he was a college graduate, very intelligent, and in the secular realm could make a lot more money. Eventually he was realeased by TWI. He really is a pretty intelligent person. He works as a manager for a small company and his wages are not impressive. Nothing wrong with that, I just think the expectations were much higher. At least he didn't start an offshoot. The point is, TWI had us all thinking we were all qualified for these "worldly" organizations when in truth we had no clue about how things worked. Those of us who were low level leadership had some idea, but even we were in a sort of dreamland.

Now, around the farm at the way international the staffers feed on their new found "corporate legitimacy" (which is not legitimate) and fancy themselves the best in the world at whatever they do. I have heard the negative comparison's from the rank and file staffers all the way up to Rosalie herself. Oh they cite the same talking points: attention to detail, reporting back, communication, multi-level redundant approval process, holy spirit filled believers giving off the love of God in everything they touch, etc.

If they really were corporately legitimate, they would report to shareholders. If they did that, they would actually have some accountability in top leadership positions. If they had that, I'm sure they would have tossed the Rosalie and Rupp out on their @$$es years ago, and TWI would be more productive, less filled with arrogance, and probably less evil in general.

I remember one time a Limb leader's wife complained about how little her husband was making. Her claim was that he was a college graduate, very intelligent, and in the secular realm could make a lot more money. Eventually he was realeased by TWI. He really is a pretty intelligent person. He works as a manager for a small company and his wages are not impressive. Nothing wrong with that, I just think the expectations were much higher. At least he didn't start an offshoot. The point is, TWI had us all thinking we were all qualified for these "worldly" organizations when in truth we had no clue about how things worked. Those of us who were low level leadership had some idea, but even we were in a sort of dreamland.

Ah yes. The harsh reality of taking your resume to a headhunter and having them deflate the balloon. Then use some kind of creative writing for damage control. It's a shocking experience, and a lesson in humility. One that I would recommend to all TWI employees, as the humility gained will actually build your character beyond the damaged state it was in previously. Reality is such a great repellant for arrogance.

But never fear, TWIbots. God is ever present and can restore the years the locusts have eaten (Joel 2:25). Use your prayer life, the semblance of morals you have left, and good old American propensity for hard work and ingenuity and the years will be better to you.

The one encouraging thing I can recollect about whasisface's Corps Ning site is I remember JR doing a highlight of all the professional successes of Way Corps post TWI. You see, we do have the propensity to actually becoming contributing members of society. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

maybe they should audition for Donald Trump's "The Apprentice" :biglaugh::redface2::rolleyes::anim-smile::eusa_clap::thinking::confused::redface: <_< :sleep1:

I actually hired someone to take what I did at the the way international and translate it into real world terminology. The result was I wound up having a lot less experience than I thought I had, or was told by the way international I would have. It was quite a shocker.

While I may have worked at HQ and even oversaw a "department" for a short stint, there was nothing that I ever saw while working there that told me they even had a clue. Having worked in the real business world prior, although never overseeing anything in the secular realm [at the time], it was still clear to me that TWI hadn't a clue.

Maybe it was more cause I was a little punk in my 20s who was hoping when he went to HQ he'd actually learn something from these great and wonderful leaders.. And only to be disappointed and finding out that instead of them teaching me anything, I was having to show them how to do everything I learned in my short stint in the real world..

But then. I do have to be fair.. I see the same thing in these Fortune 500 companies of today.. They end up sending to the top, managers who have no clue. That ends up stifling most of their workers cause their supervisors haven't a clue and restrict them from really branching out and learning. And then, well, they end up outsourcing which is fine with me since it keeps my businesses booming.

And that's exactly what I saw when I was at HQ.. They were starting to outsource more and more the things they would do in house. And one might think that was just due to down sizing.. But I don't think that was the "only" factor. (Part, sure). But the largest part was, their "leaders" were being stifled by the top dogs, and these stifled leaders ended up stifling everyone else, and now, it's just a cesspool that hopes it can recruit newbies to help em out. Yeah, they'll be looking for these fresh kids in their 20s again, to help them out.

IMHO of course.

Of course, I do have to admit, my stint in TWI has helped me in the real world. Just not in the areas of any specific trade. Since they are clearly behind the times. And certainly there is nothing "resume" worthy.

Some of what I learned is actually the opposite.. As in, I've learned to NOT do things like as in TWI. (Yes, I'll admit that was after trial and error and finding out, their ways didn't work! lol).

Edited by pawtucket

Great post T&O!

Personally, I found (at least in our profession) that the sooner we forgot about how the way international does things the better off we would be. There was simply no room for their outdated methods in our line of work.

Yes, granted, there were a lot of things they did right - I think for any organization to stay a-float they have to do some things right. But if it wasn't for their estimated 50 something, odd million dollars squirreled (Ham!) away then they would be forced to change to survive. The disservice they do to their employees is in-excusable. Take their money, time, energy and give them hardly anything measurable in return. But call it the greatest in the world. What a con-job.

I think the only valuable thing I really learned in fellow laborers is the importance of perseverance in the face of adversity. (I learned this by default.) Of course, that's a little hard to put on a resume without going into detail about where and how you learned it.

Edited by waysider

maybe they should audition for Donald Trump's "The Apprentice" :biglaugh::redface2::rolleyes::anim-smile::eusa_clap::thinking::confused::redface: <_< :sleep1:

Donald: Rosie, evryone on your team said you did buckus and I don't mean football star Dick. As team manager you were responsible to do charitable work. Don't argue with me. Rosie, your'e fired. Mister Rupp, you are the new team manager of TWI, Inc. and get rid of Mr. Linder, please . lol!

Donald: Rosie, evryone on your team said you did buckus and I don't mean football star Dick. As team manager you were responsible to do charitable work. Don't argue with me. Rosie, your'e fired. Mister Rupp, you are the new team manager of TWI, Inc. and get rid of Mr. Linder, please . lol!

Nah, that won't work. That's a co-dependant relationship. The dominatrix, and the spineless coward who waffles more than John Kerry's teflon iron all heated up on a Saturday morning. He'd have to have a meeting to see which face he should show.

Oh, and Linder is a staple. He not only knows where bodies are buried, he probably buried many of them. He is as much a staple of TWI's payroll as the Martindale harem in full time field positions. Have to keep them from writing memoirs, you know.

but please look at craig as an ensample

and veepster could have run any organization -- mygosh he could have been president of the usa

--

stringing chairs and raking rugs and....and....and....lining up forks and spoons....and... and... and....

has opened more doors for me than i can say and i am a graduate of dale carnegie and bill mays and.... and... and....

Edited by excathedra

Seriously, though...

Is there anything that you could say was well done? That you learned something from? That is useful in "worldly" terms? (I discount stringing chairs and killing chickens. But include mass dishwashing in the Dishroom.)

> Events planning and management?

> Feeding large numbers of people?

> Green Room or AV skills?

> Floral arrangements?

> Dressmaking or clothing adjustment?

I learned:

How to use a power drill (to put up shelving)

How to use a forklift

Very efficient dishroom techniques

Some useful things about trees and their care, from Grounds Crew

But nothing about office efficiency

And nothing that's "earth-shattering"

I learned while doing garbage pick up.....dump a few extra plastic bags in the bottom of the can before you insert the clean plastic bag. :) (or -- did I learn that in the cleaning service I worked for????? the one where I caught the big roach)

How to use a power drill (to put up shelving)

How to use a forklift

Very efficient dishroom techniques

Some useful things about trees and their care, from Grounds Crew

But nothing about office efficiency

And nothing that's "earth-shattering"

I learned a lot of things about fields I did not know, as you very aptly categorize. However, the issue is what can a person translate to a resume in order to gain professional employment? For me there is very little that translates. And the plethora of odds and ends I learned perfecting menial chores is overvalued. You can use a power drill but do you qualify as a carpenter? You can use a forklift, but do you qualify as a forklift operator?

My questions are rhetorical and I am not picking you apart. I think the things you learned benefited you and enriched your life. Amen to that. But, we are talking about the far reaching claims used to keep staff satiated. It's a sham IMHO.

Edited by OldSkool

Certainly is a sham, OS. I would've got the forkie licence if I'd continued there, but found myself hauled in to work in one of the offices in an area where I do have some knowledge.

I learned to drive on the "wrong side of the road" and got a US driving licence...had to, though not trained by TWI of course. Somebody lent me their car to do the test.

I guess you could say that the exposure to different things is what it's about.

For some people in my Corps, doing snow clearance was ... shocking. Ther's not a lot of snow in Florida so it was a new experience for them.

For others picking potatoes (and not from the supermarket shelf) was a new experience.

Didn't do anything new that would give me beyond a menial job...working in McD's as a dishwasher or burger flipper.

Nothing enough to make a resume look ... like you had some special skill.

Nonetheless, perhaps some knowledge or skills of practical stuff were acquired.

Not to mention the wonderful experience of compare and contrast leadership styles. And there were some (a few) good guys there.

didn't do anything that I could put on a resume (housecleaning was closest thing to experience). those twi years were definitely a "being leeched" experience. After and outside of twi I actually met people who cared about me and helped me on the road to a meaningful life for which I am forever grateful. I was so relieved when twi years went off the 10-year current reporting experience.

Nothing enough to make a resume look ... like you had some special skill.

Nonetheless, perhaps some knowledge or skills of practical stuff were acquired.

Unless you were applying for twi's Multi-Services Department Coordinator position.....or, did twi axe that department? Back in the day when White Tornado (aka T0m Ma0soff) would come swooping in and move furniture, tackle a project....or whatever.

"Everyone is ignorant just on different subjects." -- Will Rogers

did twi axe that department?

It was around when I was there a few years ago, though greatly diminished. They moved furniture and killed animals mostly. Got a raccoon? No problem. MSP sets a live trap, catches the critter and promptly drowns it in one of the ponds, all quiet like of course.

Wow, I did Multi-Services (really enjoyed it, actually, lots of fun. And I learned to use power tools). Thankfully I never had to trap any critters - much less drown them. It was bad enough having to kill chickens.

Wow, I did Multi-Services (really enjoyed it, actually, lots of fun. And I learned to use power tools). Thankfully I never had to trap any critters - much less drown them. It was bad enough having to kill chickens.

Did that MSP stint myself.... did all types of stuff! It actually was fun. Didn't learn anything that would translate into employment....went back to what I did during college..