GreaseSpot Cafe

Want healing?

OldSkool

Didn't Jesus himself select a physician, Luke, as one of his disciples?

Not that we know of WordWolf. Luke appears later in Acts, with Paul. The "12" specifically were fishermen, a tax collector, a "zealot", other stuff, not sure. One might have been a Dr. certainly could have been.

Your post reminded me of Mark 2:17 - On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

I think we all agree that no one wants to be sick. Sick people need help. The words of Jesus say - help is on the way, help is here.

Lots of things will contribute to health but the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ isn't about busy work or startng at trees on a sunny day or taking molasses. I doubt from reading the gospels that He'd have a problem with any of that - sick people need a doctor. Find one. Do things that will help. Rub honey on your head. Whatever.

TWI promoted a lot of warm and fuzzy stuff, lots of bang-on-the-head-stuff too. There's nothing quite like having some self-righteous zealot weirding out on you when you're sick when what you need is help.

I guess my point is TWI and the offshoots have it wrong when it comes to all the formulas. Jesus walked with God and healed multitudes of people at a sitting. It was faith based. But they like to quote Job, and other instances that are vast minority to what Jesus did. In my opinion, these organizations do not have healing figured out even though individuals have been healed from time to time - which I think is awesome. On the other hand, and in the larger picture, people have been hurt following TWI's teachings on healing.

Amen to that. This is because pretty much any healing within TWI is kind of like that movie "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin in it. The boy got healed in spite of the charlatans surrounding him.

From Max Lucado

- QUESTION #67 -

In my med-school class we discussed the place of prayer in the hospital. As you

can imagine, we heard strong opinions on both sides. What are your thoughts?

What is the purpose of healing prayer?

- ANSWER FROM MAX -

We tend toward one of two extremes on this subject: fanaticism or cynicism.

Fanatics see the healing of the body as the aim of God and the measure of faith.

Cynics consider any connection between prayer and healing as coincidental at

best and misleading at worst. A fanatic might seek prayer at the exclusion of

medicine; a cynic might seek medicine at the exclusion of prayer.

A healthy balance can be found. The physician is the friend of God. Prayer is

the friend of the physician.

The example of Jesus is important.

Great crowds came to Jesus, bringing with them the lame, the blind, the

crippled, those who could not speak, and many others. They put them at Jesus'

feet, and he healed them. The crowd was amazed when they saw that people who

could not speak before were now able to speak. The crippled were made strong.

The lame could walk, and the blind could see. And they praised the God of Israel

for this. (Matt. 15:30–31 NCV)

What did the people do with the sick? They put them at Jesus' feet. This is the

purpose of praying for the ill. We place the sick at the feet of the Physician

and request his touch. This passage also gives us the result of healing prayer.

"They praised the God of Israel for this." The ultimate aim of healing is not

just a healthy body but a greater kingdom. If God's aim is to grant perfect

health to all his children, he has failed, because no one enjoys perfect health,

and everyone dies. But if God's aim is to expand the boundaries of his kingdom,

then he has succeeded. For every time he heals, a thousand sermons are preached.

Speaking of sermons, did you notice what is missing from this text? Preaching.

Jesus stayed with these four thousand people for three days and, as far as we

know, never preached a sermon. Not one time did he say, "May I have your

attention?" But thousands of times he asked, "May I help you?" What compassion

he had for them. Can you imagine the line of people? On crutches, wearing

blindfolds, carried by friends, cradled by parents. For seventy-two hours Jesus

stared into face after hurting face, and then he said, "I feel sorry for these

people" (v. 32 NCV). The inexhaustible compassion of Jesus. Mark it down. Pain

on earth causes pain in heaven. And he will stand and receive the ill as long as

the ill come in faith to him.

And he will do what is right every time. "God will always give what is right to

his people who cry to him night and day, and he will not be slow to answer them"

(Luke 18:7 NCV).

Healing prayer begs God to do what is right. My friend Dennis, a chaplain,

offers this prayer over patients: "God, would you put on the surgical gloves

first?"

I like that.

I think another point to be made here is healing is a gift. It can be asked for and granted out of the love that God and Christ have for us. It is not something to be claimed or demanded. There is no entitlement. There are promises of full healing and restoration in the future and some take those to say we are already healed and all we have to do is claim it. That is simply not true as evidenced by many of us dealing with sickness and diseases. I am of the opinion that we should approach God boldly but with respect and awe.

quote: I think another point to be made here is healing is a gift.

1 Peter 2:24 - ...by whose stripes ye WERE (past tense) healed. You can too claim and demand what belongs to you. I did just that per post #21. Did the devil do that for me?

1 Peter 2:24 - ...by whose stripes ye WERE (past tense) healed. You can too claim and demand what belongs to you. I did just that per post #21. Did the devil do that for me?

I don't think that verse can be interpreted literally. If it could, you would never get sick in the first place (were = past tense)

Without looking...what does the next verse say? Context ?

Didn't Jesus himself select a physician, Luke, as one of his disciples?

I don't recall any incident recorded where Jesus told him it was a rubbish field.

Does anyone recall such an incident?

Luke was not one of the 12 disciples. It's reasonable to speculate that he may have been one of Jesus' disciples, just not one of the 12.

He was most certainly with The Apostle Paul, however, and Paul never told Luke his occupation was rubbish. That would support your argument.

While I'm at it, and this is a minor point, wasn't The Rescue written by D@vid Cr@ley?

From Max Lucado

I loved that quote from Max Lucado. It kind of puts it in proper perspective. I'm not sure I agree when he says that prayer is the friend of the physician. I think it's the other way around. Everything else he says in this quote is awesome.

While I'm at it, and this is a minor point, wasn't The Rescue written by D@vid Cr@ley?

The Rescue

Type of Work:

Non-dramatic literary work

Registration Number / Date:

TX0000702166 / 1981-05-28

Date of Publication:

November 10, 1980

Date of Creation:

Title:

The Rescue / by Dennis McGee.

Edition:

1st ed.

Imprint:

New York : Vantage Press, c1980.

Description:

l98 p.

Copyright Claimant:

Dennis McGee

Names:

Dennis McGee 1953-

SOURCE

The Rescue

Type of Work:

Non-dramatic literary work

Registration Number / Date:

TX0000702166 / 1981-05-28

Date of Publication:

November 10, 1980

Date of Creation:

Title:

The Rescue / by Dennis McGee.

Edition:

1st ed.

Imprint:

New York : Vantage Press, c1980.

Description:

l98 p.

Copyright Claimant:

Dennis McGee

Names:

Dennis McGee 1953-

SOURCE

Oh. :doh:

Edited by Broken Arrow

David Craley wrote a book called 'In search of the light (the hope of glory)'. This book is about his 'rescue' from homosexuality. He was well off; was familiar with the gay club scene in many large US cities. Even got witnessed to by a guy in a bath. Groucho says he's now openly gay but still Christian. IIRC.

David Craley wrote a book called 'In search of the light (the hope of glory)'. This book is about his 'rescue' from homosexuality. He was well off; was familiar with the gay club scene in many large US cities. Even got witnessed to by a guy in a bath. Groucho says he's now openly gay but still Christian. IIRC.

I take it, then, that he's no longer with his wife. What does "IIRC" mean?

It stands for if I remember correctly; his name came up on a thread and I'm pretty sure it was Groucho who posted that he was now openly gay. But this was years ago. Wouldn't make sense that he was still married to a woman. Pamela? Was that her name?

It stands for if I remember correctly; his name came up on a thread and I'm pretty sure it was Groucho who posted that he was now openly gay. But this was years ago. Wouldn't make sense that he was still married to a woman. Pamela? Was that her name?

I thought it was Stephanie, but I could be wrong.

Max Lucado is an excellent quote here. My views on healing more recently have been prayer combined with the best medical help possible, and a healthy blend of not allowing it to become all-encompassing if possible. There are so many situations and variations though that it is just different for every situation. I have friends as a couple where the guy just finished up his 3rd brain surgery removing cancer. All I can do for them is pray, and offer a kind word and company when I can.

One thing to be sure of...

However one chooses to avail oneself of healing - prayer, medications, surgery, homoepathic remedies - it's not up to anyone else to condemn or judge that person for not believing enough.

And what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.