GreaseSpot Cafe

The most outragious statement in a TWI meeting?

Jim

Rascal, I remember all of those statements.

Wasn't there also something ... A request from a leader is just as much the Word of God as a command in the Bible ...? If a leader tells you to get a bucket of [water - or some such], you need to obey that just as you would a command from God.

Maybe that was something from LCM's VP-worship book.

quote: You might learn well from that and adapt a similar technique yourself, instead of banging quotes into each other like so many runaway shopping carts in a crowded food market parking lot.

What do shopping carts have to do with the topic here, Waysider? C'mon, stick with the topic at hand! C'mon, focus! Stay on the same page! What are you? 3 years old?

John

There is no need for sarcasm and name calling. I asked you politely to refrain from meta-discussion. If you find that to be too much of a burden and/or find these discussions so unpleasant, why do you continue to participate? (Please respond to that question (if you feel you must) in the "soapbox" thread that Twinky has set up for you.)

Edited by waysider

Said at ark limb meeting for wows by John Sc0tt.....Peter sank when he began to focus on the five senses, when he stopped looking at his leader and obeying. Our leaders work for God today, if we don`t obey them, if we allow our five senses (aka common sense) to interfere with orders, to trick us, no matter how much we dislike or disagree we will sink also, we will miss out on the blessings of getting to see a miracle. Besides, even if our leader is wrong, God HAS to cover and make it ok because of the believing in our hearts.

I was not at that meeting, but heard those exact points covered at another meeting. (probably in the late 1970s)

So Johniam, do you believe all those things that were in PFAL? You know, the ones I listed above that have been specifically proven to be wrong?

quote: I re-read both posts, John. I don't see anything about the way JB posted that changed the essence of your post. In fact, by trimming down your statement, he was able to address that particular point,

So, Waysider, you're saying that it's OK to be off topic as long as you trim down someone else's posts in order to advance your own prejudices? Must be new revelation. Wonder what would happen if I did that to any of Rascal's recent posts.

Here's an outrageous statement. 1978. 1 men's way home, 2 girls' way homes. Limb leader is telling us how it IS. At one point he tells all of us, "If any one of you ever leave the way ministry, then the devil will beat the s out of you!"

My wife says she has successfully used this technique as leverage in some business transactions. Let's say I'm at work and she's home getting a bid for some kind of service. She tells the bidder, "My husband said not to pay more than X dollars, sorry." She was using me as an absent, phantom, third party in order to get the bidder to modify the bid.

The limb leader was using the devil in precisely the same manner. Not sure how well it worked here, however. Two of the guys in the men's way home left town a month later. Just how does one prove that the devil beat someone up? Nice.

Waysider: The topic is "outrageous statements in a twi meeting". Just tell me what my valuing pfal has to do with that? You're the one who's always whining about me being off topic. Tangetial my @$$!

Is the PFAL class, and its premises, not an integral part of what TWI meetings promote?

"Always Stand when a Man of God enters the room"

Not only is it one of the most egocentric things I have ever heard but I also had that yelled at me once when some frustrated dipsh!t area coordinator burst in while I was sitting on a toilet

:lol: I keep trying to work "How high? into this. Too bad he wanted you to stand instead of jump!

George

quote: "Always Stand when a Man of God enters the room"

Not only is it one of the most egocentric things I have ever heard but I also had that yelled at me once when some frustrated dipsh!t area coordinator burst in while I was sitting on a toilet

1983 or so...a branch leader whom I have respect for walked in a living room to address us twig coordinators. We didn't stand. He immediately says how spiritually po'd he is that we didn't stand. Lectured us for about 3 minutes. Don't remember anything he presented to us after that.

quote: "Always Stand when a Man of God enters the room"

There were a lot of egos in those rooms to begin with. But, making a point to always stand when a Man of God enters a room is a buzz kill.

I would probably stand for my company's president if he entered a room. My grandmother taught me about manners when I was a child.

There are varying degrees involved when designating whom deserves that kind of respect from others that they should honor someone by standing when they enter a room. A President of the company or country. A Judge. A holy man, Mahatma Gandhi or the Dali Lam ma. Most everyone in twi was not one of these.

There were others, genuine people whom I honored in twi, whom I knew, Limb leaders, etc, but they didn't expect or require that kind of discipline. Anyway, there always was the power thing in tw. I'm glad I got out that way sh!t. :danghitsfan:I couldn't resist myself.

The most outrageous statement I've heard..

"*WE* are your family.."..

It would not be so outrageous, if they could perform what they promised, or declared to be.

*They* are not anyone's family.

well.. maybe their "fatherhood" can be documented in the bible..

I won't tell you where to look..

I remember times..

I shouldn't say.

Most Outrageous.

One of them.. "born again, of incorruptible seed.."

for their sakes, I hope what they were born with is not incorruptible..

It would be like living through ten thousand groundhog days, and waking up at the same place.. with the Devil Incarnate, being The Groundhog.

:biglaugh:

Don't blame me. Squirrels are just observers here..

quote:

\1983 or so...a branch leader whom I have respect for walked in a living room to address us twig coordinators. We didn't stand. He immediately says how spiritually po'd he is that we didn't stand. Lectured us for about 3 minutes. Don't remember anything he presented to us after that.

Yeah, after something like that I wouldn't have heard a word either. The sad thing is, your experience happened in 1983, but it didn't stop there. I had a similar experience long after that with another leader. Screamed his head off. Wonder if the screamathons continues to this day.

"We sure do love you."

Uh-huh----until your attendance becomes less than consistent and your ABS payments dry up.

Then you might just as well be a week old tuna sandwich.

I dunno. Dried tuna preserves rather well if it is salted..

quote:

Yeah, after something like that I wouldn't have heard a word either. The sad thing is, your experience happened in 1983, but it didn't stop there. I had a similar experience long after that with another leader. Screamed his head off. Wonder if the screamathons continues to this day.

There's nothing wrong with twi wanting to honor the word of God like that. It's similar to being expected to stand up during the pledge of allegiance or during the national anthem at a sports event, but if you have to yell at people, then you lose too much of the spirit (usage 4a) of the act, or whatever.

Would you stand for a priest? A bishop? A rabbi? Any one of those might be considered a "cult leader" by someone outside his faith.

George

While I see your point, somehow, I can't bring myself to accept that Wierwille was on a plane of equality with any of these examples.