GreaseSpot Cafe

The road out of TWI is littered with splinter groups.

OldSkool

I remember John Linder going on about a nearby splinter group that, according to him, "waited around at the doors trying to pick off anyone they could." I really didn't get what he was talking about until I left. After leaving TWI I was courted by no less than three splinter groups. And I have come to realize they all want to distance themselves from the way international but continue to operate how they learned while involved in the way international. It seems they add their own "branding" but the MLM concepts are the same.

And guess what everyone of the three eventually pitched me with: Yep! They wanted me to come work for them, because the greatest deliverance is in service. :smilie_kool_aid: Only problem is service is to their organizations and not to Christ. Just like TWI.

My wife is going to Church now, my son is in Sunday school. Sooner than later I will get on to Church as well.

I remember John Linder going on about a nearby splinter group that, according to him, "waited around at the doors trying to pick off anyone they could." I really didn't get what he was talking about until I left. After leaving TWI I was courted by no less than three splinter groups. And I have come to realize they all want to distance themselves from the way international but continue to operate how they learned while involved in the way international. It seems they add their own "branding" but the MLM concepts are the same.

Yeah.....just tweak it abit and voila! another splinter group pops up.

But really, and I've said this before......when one uncovers twi history, TWI IS A SPLINTER GROUP

of Rev. B.G. Leonard's ministry! After wierwille sat thru BG's class twice, in 1953.....the

younger wierwille leaves Calgary, Alberta with a "newfound mission" to teach a vpw-version of

Leonard's class. Grads of Leonard's class didn't have to pay the registration fee in wierwille's

class BECAUSE THEY WERE ALREADY GRADS -- [Note: Mrs. Wierwille's "Born Again to Serve" book]

Yeah.....just tweak it abit and voila! another splinter group pops up.

But really, and I've said this before......when one uncovers twi history, TWI IS A SPLINTER GROUP

of Rev. B.G. Leonard's ministry! After wierwille sat thru BG's class twice, in 1953.....the

younger wierwille leaves Calgary, Alberta with a "newfound mission" to teach a vpw-version of

Leonard's class. Grads of Leonard's class didn't have to pay the registration fee in wierwille's

class BECAUSE THEY WERE ALREADY GRADS -- [Note: Mrs. Wierwille's "Born Again to Serve" book]

vpw's "ministry" was nothing all the years until 1953. Then he got ahold of Stiles' book,

and Leonard's class. In the case of Leonard's class, he finished the class he interrupted

(bulled his way into, showing up when Leonard said it was in progress and he couldn't take

it since it already began.) Then he took it again a few months later, bringing a few others.

A few months later, vpw asks Leonard if it would be all right to teach it once, locally.

Leonard consents, and vpw sends him a photo of "Leonard's" class that is in BGL's photo

albums to this day. Meanwhile, vpw told all the students this was vpw's class and never

mentions Leonard. Yet the students who all came with him to take Leonard's class are all

considered GRADS when this "first" class takes place, which, of course, is impossible

if it's really "HIS" class. Leonard never considered vpw would be so unprincipled as to

continue to secretly teach Leonard's class, or to fail to give Leonard credit where it

was obviously due, so it was many years later when Leonard found out what vpw had done.

Meanwhile, vpw claimed to be teaching the class the first time with no syllabus or

course layout. This makes no sense-unless one was already made and vpw was working from

THAT. Soon, vpw claims he has a "textbook" for "his" class on Receiving the Holy Spirit

Today- and presents a retyped, rebound copy of Stiles' book with the same name vpw

rebranded Leonard's class to. So now vpw used Leonard's class and Stiles' book.

Later, he added material to both from other sources- Bullinger, Kenyon, etc- and

expanded the material into a few more books and 2 more classes. More stuff to sell

meant more income from books and classes. vpw's "splinter" group from Leonard was

grossly inferior to Leonard's because Leonard wanted to EMPOWER Christians so they

could work locally on their own better, but vpw wanted them all DEPENDENT upon HIM.

vpw's "ministry" was nothing all the years until 1953. Then he got ahold of Stiles' book,

and Leonard's class.

And....from 1953-1957, while wierwille was "splintering out with his vpw-led class ministry"

wierwille was on St. Peter's Evangelical and Reformed Church PAYROLL.

Along with his attempts to splinter off from Stiles/Leonard work....AND STILL receiving regular

paychecks from his church, wierwille headed to India and England for nearly 3-months on this

"missionary endeavor" and, later, write his Dilemma of Foreign Missions booklet. And,

from May 1956 until wierwille's resignation letter on August 7, 1957.....wierwille was laying

the groundwork for his own endeavors.

In receiving a salary paycheck, isn't it unethical to be stealthily working for one's own gain?

Then, when the church leaders unanimously accepted wierwille's resignation.......he endeavors

to persuade church congregants to follow him to the wierwille-led ministry.

Steal class material.....

Steal and plagairize other's work...

Steal time from church...

Steal congregants on the way out...

Why are we surprised?

Yeah.....just tweak it a bit and voila! another splinter group pops up.

I always have to laugh when these groups try to tell me that they are "nothing like" TWI, or have thrown off the bad and kept the good.

These splinters and keeping the form of TWI is specifically for people who lack the ability to think for themselves, or move in any direction but a well worn path that they dont have to think about or put much effort into.......

just my opinion.

Steal class material.....

Steal and plagairize other's work...

Steal time from church...

Steal congregants on the way out...

Its not surprisng at all that this is STILL the way they function.

Same catch phrases, same format, same songs, same old same old......

• Upvote 1

The reason ex-wayers are attracted to splinters is because they are like TWI, not different.

The reason ex-way leaders try to recruit ex-wayers is because they know they will be comfortable in a slinter- because their splinters are like TWI, not different.

Leaders of splinters get up in arms when I describe them as being like TWI on www.abouttheway.org

I remember asking 2 leaders of splinters to name core doctrines on which they differ from TWI. One thought of only 1 doctrine (out of about 12-15). The other listed none... just accused me of slander for pointing out similarities between his splinter and TWI.

The B. G. Leonard Ministry is still going. He passed over the bar, or tripped over the bar, or sat in a bar and fell asleep, or whatever it is they say, but his widow Evelyn and a former TWI guy named Mark Machado lead it today. I've briefly talked with both of them over the phone, and they seem like lovely people. You can dial into their Sunday Morning Service held at 10:30 CT and listen on your phone. Keep your cell phone plugged in and put it on speaker; the Sunday I listened it was a long service).

It's key to look back at the beginnings of TWI like this. It's telling and helpful to see how it all began. Does anyone know who the people were who took the second Leonard class with VP? That would be interesting to know.

Does anyone know who the people were who took the second Leonard class with VP? That would be interesting to know.

According to Mrs. W's book, Born Again to Serve, p.91 ......25 new students are pictured

with Rev. Leonard in this "second Leonard class with VP." Nine of these new students were from

Van Wert, of which, Mrs. Wierwille and Don are included. Grads of the class are not included in

this "new students" picture.

Also, in book, p.92.....At the end of his class 'The Gifts of the Spirit,' Brother Leonard

ordained several of the students, including Don.

The younger children with our group, including our Karen and Mary, who where too young to qualify

to be in B.G.'s class, came to the open meetings in the evenings. Our whole family of five learned

to minister healing at that time. We learned that when we ask from God, we receive from God. It

was B.G.'s daughter, Connie, who led our Mary into receiving holy spirit.

Slightly over a year later, August 1 to 8, 1954, Brother Leonard and his family came to Van Wert

to teach us more fully what he knew about the manifestations of faith (believing), miracles, and

healing, also known as the impartation manifestations. Whatever Brother Leonard taught us, we

took in with much enthusiasm and made it our own.

Mrs. Wierwille's accounting of twi history gives pointed clarity to how Victor Paul Wierwille

took Leonard's class-based ministry, and other's work, and patterned The Way, Inc. in 1957.

Edited by skyrider

I have a comparison between TWI and splinter groups. In 1987 I knew that in Sept I would be traveling to Anaheim, CA. so 1 month earlier at the ROA I went to the Way of the USA tent and asked them if there was a twig I could go to while there. The first person they referred me to was Rob Kehoe, who referred me to Dan Moran, who gave me a name and number of a couple who ran twig 1 mile away from the motel where I was staying. It was nice that this was possible, but most motels have, in their directories, directions to Catholic and Protestant churches in the area. But for a small group like twi this isn't always possible.

Last August, I travelled to New Haven, CT. I asked my fellowship coordinator if there was a Chris Geer fellowship in the New Haven area and I was told that CG didn't endorse fellowships he hadn't been to because what if it was run by a$$#oles. So I couldn't go to a fellowship there. The fellowship I now attend has much the same feel as any twig I ever attended in twi, but they don't even mention twi most of the time. Works for me.

if they used the same words....the snake reveals it true head....and you would know to stay away. By hiding the truth....the snake conceals himself until he wants a part of you.....oh I do hope you are paying attention....you may not get another warning.....and please don't stay there....you don't need an excuse.....just don't go. Otherwise it will be too late and one never knows when that ball will drop.

Maybe I am being dramatic. I had my kids smeared all over the place during a certain advanced class. I know what I'm talking about.

To make Wierwille's story of receiving holy spirit seem miraculous, he claimed that "...there was a blizzard in Tulsa. All the planes were grounded. So I couldn't get a plane. I tried the trains-- they were all snowed in. The buses-- same thing. The city was snowbound. I just couldn't get out." (The Way-- Living in Love, p. 198).

However, Climatological Data for Oklahoma records that there was no snow whatsoever during the days he was there.

Wierwille's wife Dorothea was in Tulsa that week and contradicts V.P. She never even implies that the planes, trains and buses were snowbound by a blizzard. Perhaps she couldn't bring herself to make a bald-faced lie as V.P. did. But she suggests a scenario enough like V.P.'s to perhaps satisfy his starry-eyed followers. She suggests that there was snow in Chicago (700 miles from Tulsa!) and "sleet forecast in Tulsa by Thursday." (Born Again to Serve, p. 79)

However, the weather forecasts in the Tulsa Tribune newspaper contradict her, too! The high temperature for Dec. 12 (the day of the "blizzard") was 62 and the low 33-- absolutely preventing any snow. The forecast on the front page predicted a high in the 40s on the 13th and no precipitation at all. This means that there was never any snow on the ground or in the air when the Wierwilles were in Tulsa. While Mrs. Wierwille's memory (or a ghost-writer's imagination) is a little closer to the truth than V. P.'s, it is still greatly in error.

To make Wierwille's story of receiving holy spirit seem miraculous, he claimed that "...there was a blizzard in Tulsa. All the planes were grounded. So I couldn't get a plane. I tried the trains-- they were all snowed in. The buses-- same thing. The city was snowbound. I just couldn't get out." (The Way-- Living in Love, p. 198).

It's interesting that The Way-- Living in Love was pulled from publication some years ago (probably by Martindale.) It seems to me that book exposes a lot of things about Wierwille, at least from numerous quotes on GSC. Not to mention the rather lengthy thread on the book, Living in wonderland. I have stated numerous times on GSC that since Rosalie took over Martindale's position she has gone a long way to white wash Wierwille's image. They have even enshrined his "publications" as proven ministry research, thus above question and held in the same regard as the written Word.

Re: The Way: Living in Love

Tell a lie enough times and you will start to believe it.

Put it in print and others will start to doubt it.....eventually

Sometimes this book is still for sale at a low discount price on Amazon second-hand book sellers or elsewhere. Since I'm in the book, I have gotten copies because it shows a pretty good "before" snapshot of me, which is in striking contrast with the "new" me today. I even met someone in academia recently who said his parents had a copy of the book in their house. They weren't ever in twi, they were evangelicals of some sort and thought TWLIL was cool. Yikes.

I don't believe there are many of the Wierwille clan still in TWI... and that there are more in splinter groups than in TWI.

This isn't unusual, for example, nearly Joseph Smith's whole family ended up in Mormon splinter groups after Brigham Young took over. Cult leaders like total control.

At least we're not in the days in which the new "king" murders the whole family of the deposed king.

TWLIL also quotes VPW saying,

"Women never tell the truth"

If the man o' god says it, well, it must be true?

I don't believe there are many of the Wierwille clan still in TWI... and that there are more in splinter groups than in TWI.

This is likely the case. One of the appeals of the splinters is they let people have more freedoms than the way international did. TWI is very legalistic in so very many things. The splinter groups, or more accurately, certain splinter groups really make it a point to let new prospects know that things are different in their group.