GreaseSpot Cafe

Ummmm.... Awkward.

JavaJane

Social ineptness in twi was rampant. Some people just seemed to have no clue what was appropriate to talk about and what wasn't - or what was appropriate physical contact with members of the opposite sex, and then there were people who would think anything hey said couldn't be offensive because they were "joking."

I think part of the cause was the idea that "all things are clean for those that are clean."

As an example:

My Way Disciple team leader thought it was fine to tell everyone that I was sleeping with him when we were out witnessing - because he was "joking."

I'm sure there are lots of other stories out there. Please share so we can all have an awkward laugh. I'll post more as I think of them, but I think I smell something burning and better get off the computer.

I think the way international removed those social boundaries with their own top leadership vulgarities. I remember during our advanced class picture staging LCM told dirty joke after dirty joke to a crowd of around 600. During Dr. Rollins class "A New Life," in between each session the emcee again hit us with a smattering of vulgar jokes. And not to mention it was always ok for people to put together a stream of cuss words that would make a sailor blush, especially if you were leadership. LCM may have been a sailor. I think the end result is that yet another boundary of common decency was smashed.

And let's ignore the obvious scripture that talked about coarse jesting and filthy communication out of your mouth, etc. There's just no way that should apply to anyone. <_<

I think the way international removed those social boundaries with their own top leadership vulgarities. I remember during our advanced class picture staging LCM told dirty joke after dirty joke to a crowd of around 600. During Dr. Rollins class "A New Life," in between each session the emcee again hit us with a smattering of vulgar jokes. And not to mention it was always ok for people to put together a stream of cuss words that would make a sailor blush, especially if you were leadership. LCM may have been a sailor. I think the end result is that yet another boundary of common decency was smashed.

And let's ignore the obvious scripture that talked about coarse jesting and filthy communication out of your mouth, etc. There's just no way that should apply to anyone. <_<

I always thought it odd that the Way International indulges in such behavior when their most esteemed book Ephesians says this

Ephesians 5

3 But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. 4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. 5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not become partners with them; 8 for (S)at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true),

I just don't understand with such crude jokes or improper social Qs would be allowed when it is the hightened book explicitly says not too.

For instance my wife described old men kissing the young girls on the lips as status Quo... YUK!

ha haha ha ha ha ahhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha old man harry grabbed my boob "oh, so young and firm" -- man that was so uplifting to me

i remember sunesis telling me once when i asked a question about my present life and something i asked an in-law relative about her health. sunesis said i was way out of line and shouldn't have gotten so personal. i've thought about that a lot

as far as martindale and all his jokes and crap, come on, he was not thinking about the lovely people in the audience, you know?

I think the end result is that yet another boundary of common decency was smashed.

This is an EXACT description of what was so WRONG with TWI 'in the senses realm' of course. On second thought, they lacked common decency in the spiritual realm as well! :realmad:

social ineptness or eptness (is that a word?)

every time i think of vee pee and his grandiose ideas about being the president or at least attending the presiden'ts ball, i laugh

i hope he took notes at christian etiquette class

all this stuff -- maybe not for homeless hippies -- but for some people -- it's just FRRFRKKKRRKKKK common sense

Hardly fits with being "gentle" with one another, and "not putting a stone of stumbling" in another's path, does it?

Ashamed to say, I learned to swear through TWI. Those words that rhyme with "duck" and the like ... in not uncommon currency in twig, but when I got in rez and heard big bad Martindale ranting on, using words in his sermon that would make most people flinch ...

And the CFS class was gross, too, with its many descriptions of intimate body parts.

JJ, your WD leader was way out of line in saying such a thing. It's not a joke. It's an outright lie. And you know where lies come from, right? So you know which "Way" he was leading the team. Ugh.

My team coordinator was way out of line. I told him that to his face while we were still in front of the guy we were witnessing to. He looked like an foot. It took having the Branch coordinator getting in his face for him to see that jokes like that we're unacceptable.

A man of his age (at least 15 years older than me) should have known at that point in his life that his joke was inappropriate.

Then there were people who over shared on everything. I really don't need to know how your cleanse is going, or how God delivered you from a yeast infection.

And then there was always that person who had to shove the Word into every conversation, and who was not very good at being subtle.

well, if i don't know it's a yeast infection, how can i get CLEAR and CONCERNED to pray for you ? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha ahhhh ha ha ha

Geeze, excie, just do one of those one-size-fits-all deals. You know. "Father, I (just) thank you that all the body parts (just) function like they're 'sposed to.".

( the "just" is optional.) :wink2:

Edited by waysider

Personal and emotional boundaries ARE common sense -- for those who have enough emotional and social maturity to recognize and consider (be considerate of) the needs of anyone other than him or her self.

Ashamed to say, I learned to swear through TWI. Those words that rhyme with "duck" and the like ... in not uncommon currency in twig, but when I got in rez and heard big bad Martindale ranting on, using words in his sermon that would make most people flinch ...

Yeah probably the most outstanding of those was the ones they called the "Galatians Tapes", or whatever the ones were for Adv. Class grads he taught about Geer after the "fog years". Prior to that I don't think I had ever heard the "f" word used as every part of speech in a single sentence.

Rico lives in his own private fantasy world, where he is Jesus.

Def. a poster child for the self deluded. He is the only one I know where Rosalie could have him publicly flogged naked at a corps morning and when it was over he would declare "It's the word, it's the word!"

what is a corp morning?

Oh, a way corps meeting held in the morning instead of the evening. I remember a mass correction coming about to refer to them as corps meeting because they were being called corps mornings without official sanction. Thus the forced correction.

I was probably too hard hearted to care by the time the corrections came about since it was in close proximity to my departure.

We used to call Rico "Rico the Robot."

I just remembered another incident: my Limb coordinator wife (new to the area) telling me and a couple of other single girls how after she got married she and her husband would HAVE to pull over and have sex on the side of the road all the time and that all married people did that.

Weirdo.

*edited for spelling

Edited by JavaJane

she and her husband would HAVE to pull over and have sex on the side of the road all the time and that all married people did that.

Too bad they weren't arrested. Would have made for an interesting headline. And that is freaking weird. But not sure which is worse

- doing the deed

- or telling people about doing the deed in a "Christian Ministry" where you are supposed to be a leader.

:confused: