GreaseSpot Cafe

Folks familiar to us from '60's-'70's took in Lonnie Frisbee in CA and so "were ground zero for the Jesus Revolution" (?)

annio

Of interest? This is from Glenda Sue Morris' FB page posted Saturday, with 102+ comments and contributions! "The Doops and Heefners moved in together in the spring of 1967, and around that time, along with Ted and Liz Wise and Danny Sands, they started the Living Room mission in Haight-Ashbury and ended up moving in together in Novato in the House of Acts. I moved to CA in 1972, so this was before my time, but I met them all and learned from them. They soon took in Lonnie Frisbee, and he's the one that opened up the work in Southern California. It's my belief, based on the book by Pastor John A. MacDonald called "House of Acts," that the Wises, Doops, Heefners and Sands were ground zero of the Jesus Revolution."

Then along came Dell and Nancy Dunca et ALL, eh? Someone thought that Donnie Fugit should make the movie cut...?

It was just cool to see these possible connections, and time travel back to The Past! (I was in Idaho back-packing in the very early 70's, not so interested in hand-raising Jesus folks, but searching never-the-less! Somehow or other, I still see the hand of God in my life when I got involved w/ the way in VA a few years later...)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On this topic ... TWI is using the same phrase, The Jesus Christ Revolution.

81st Anniversary Celebration Updates - The Way International News and Events

I never thought I'd see the day when TWI was still grinding out the same old VPW teachings and pulling in the cash. Will this never END?

2 hours ago, penworks said:

On this topic ... TWI is using the same phrase, The Jesus Christ Revolution.

81st Anniversary Celebration Updates - The Way International News and Events

I never thought I'd see the day when TWI was still grinding out the same old VPW teachings and pulling in the cash. Will this never END?

That's the most inauthentic piece of "art!" I may have ever seen. 

“This package is called “Jesus Christ Revolution” and will show the major impact Dr. Wierwille had on the Jesus Movement that occurred in the late 1960s-1970s…”

Major impact, indeed.

Jesus himself already told us the impact victor paul wierwille would have on his movement.

John 10:10a

That about said it.  He took a vibrant, vital, genuine movement among God's people and diverted it into a less-vital cash cow for his pocket. In that respect, vpw was the first "Stump" Coordinator- someone who starts with an active group and micromanages it to pieces.

I'm not sure what would have happened, but the imact of the Jesus People movement was somewhat blunted by vpw subverting some of its people to shill classes. 

His biggest impact on history-and Christianity- was to IMPEDE it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charity said:

Rocky, are you referring to this? 

No, that's not it.

I was referring to the dance routine by African (American) believers. That was SOOOOOO not what one would reasonably expect from Black people.

It was what the white wayfer dancers did. e.g. this lame nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

No, that's not it.

I was referring to the dance routine by African (American) believers. That was SOOOOOO not what one would reasonably expect from Black people.

It was what the white wayfer dancers did. e.g. this lame nonsense. 

Big difference between the group twi showed on their website 81st Anniversary Celebration Updates - The Way International News and Events and this one I found on the internet which I liked for its cultural authenticity.  

12 minutes ago, Charity said:

this one I found on the internet which I liked for its cultural authenticity.  

You nailed it. Lovely faces. Lovely movement. Lovely wardrobes. Conveys much more authenticity. Thank you, Charity. Probably (I surmise) because New Knoxville doesn't get to lord it over these people. :love3:

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

This link captures how I think of art and artistic expression by humans.

https://proactivecreative.com/different-types-of-art/

Excuse my lackadaisical response to your comment "That's the most inauthentic piece of "art!" I may have ever seen."  Concerning the 7 different forms of art, when I was teaching Grade 1, my students learned literature and media arts (which touched on cinema) as part of the Language arts program, as well as dance, drama and visual arts as part of the Arts curriculum. Visual arts included some messy lessons about painting and sculpture which pretty much meant working with plasticine :anim-smile:.  (Thank goodness the music section was taught by a qualified music teacher.) That just leaves architectural arts which was covered in our science classes.  God, I miss those times.  It was a lot of fun for me and the kids.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 1:17 AM, Rocky said:

You nailed it. Lovely faces. Lovely movement. Lovely wardrobes. Conveys much more authenticity. Thank you, Charity. Probably (I surmise) because New Knoxville doesn't get to lord it over these people. :love3:

Except that the lyrics are from HQ way prod. 

1 hour ago, Charity said:

Hi, what's the name of the song?  I found it hard to hear the words other that the "together" part.

Same here. Which is probably why it didn't matter much to me what the lyrics were, I just enjoyed the video. :wink2:

17 hours ago, penguin2 said:

Looks like a year ago lots of countries were encouraged to sing and record this song. There's several versions listed on the Way YouTube channel.

Meh. I understand the words better but still find this group to be somewhat more inauthentic than the lovely people from Gabon.

Bless their hearts. :wink2:

20 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

A long, long time ago...   will never forget the first time I set foot on HQ... hitchhiked from Emporia (6 Corp), landed in the BRC.

Looks like a groovy scene. And the music sounds good. I sense that these kids were doing just fine by themselves and among themselves. This was definitely my vibe in my late teens and early twenties.

Too bad victor had to destroy it.

Who is the preacher teacher in the opening 3 minutes?

I love how victor contradicts himself at 4:50.

2 hours ago, oldiesman said:

Dave Craley

I recognized his voice right away. ROA 72 was 51 years ago. Amazing to consider.

Salient to me in the first minute of Craley's soliloquy was his statement that news people would be there to try to understand the phenomenon which was TWI at that time.

Of course, that was only the beginning of a much longer journey to understand said phenomenon. I'm thankful we have a MUCH better grasp of the issue/subject today than anyone in society was able to figure out (without becoming engrossed/engulfed) in the high demand subculture at the time.

Not that we have a full understanding of it even still... :wave: