GreaseSpot Cafe

VPW's Motorcycle that we "gifted' to him

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but i was talking to a friend from Junior Corps and she reminded me that I had said that this motorcycle was the frist time I thought TWi was being shady. It was either at The Rock or Corps Week. They had us all "give" (no pressure or anything lol) so we could buy a "surprise" gift of a motorcycle for VPW with a side car for his wife. I remember feeling ressured and lied to. How on earth was this going to be a surprise? With all the money we give, we have to give more so he can have a fancy bike? i brought it up at a Junior Corps meeting and was yelled at and sent to bed. Loudly being reproved for being right is a terrible way to raise a child.      

29 minutes ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but i was talking to a friend from Junior Corps and she reminded me that I had said that this motorcycle was the frist time I thought TWi was being shady. It was either at The Rock or Corps Week. They had us all "give" (no pressure or anything lol) so we could buy a "surprise" gift of a motorcycle for VPW with a side car for his wife. I remember feeling ressured and lied to. How on earth was this going to be a surprise? With all the money we give, we have to give more so he can have a fancy bike? i brought it up at a Junior Corps meeting and was yelled at and sent to bed. Loudly being reproved for being right is a terrible way to raise a child.      

tragic.

2 hours ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

Yeah it was like a 40k Harley.   I mean with that money you could pay cash to send a kid to college.   So glad instead we could have 2 group bike rides with photos of VP looking like Hitler instead.   :rolleyes:

Someone reported that vpw smashed it up, and it was repaired all hush-hush.

There was a different story about vpw planning on motorcycle riding throughout the USA.  I think he made a few stops, to lots of fanfare and fuss, and then it was quietly dropped.

IIRC, LIfe Magazine covered twi, and Time Magazine covered vpw a year later.  The Life Magazine article was called "the Groovy Christians of Rye." It was about the WOWs posted to Rye, NY. I think the locals wanted to make them sound like nuts, but the article made them sound more together than the locals who criticized them.    A year later, Time covered some religious leaders, and vpw sounded like a nut.  There was a photo of vpw with a motorcycle there.  I JUST started wondering if that was related in any way.  I doubt it, since the article was around 1971 (give or take a year).

3 hours ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

Whenever vpw visited a place, they assigned people to buy his creature comforts out of pocket (like bottles of Drambuie as one poster reported- their first experience buying alcohol.)  On top of everything else, they took up collections of nice, untraceable cash which was handed over to vpw in a bag. I'm sure he was happy not to report that to the IRS.   He also made no secret that he could-and did-  go to the twi treasurer whenever he felt like he needed some cash, and got it.   ALSO, a LOT of things owned by twi were reserved for his SOLE use, and he called them "MY STUFF."

If there is a "special hell" for child molesters and people who talk in the theater, I hope vpw gets imprisoned in its worst part.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Whenever vpw visited a place, they assigned people to buy his creature comforts out of pocket (like bottles of Drambuie as one poster reported- their first experience buying alcohol.)  On top of everything else, they took up collections of nice, untraceable cash which was handed over to vpw in a bag. I'm sure he was happy not to report that to the IRS.   He also made no secret that he could-and did-  go to the twi treasurer whenever he felt like he needed some cash, and got it.   ALSO, a LOT of things owned by twi were reserved for his SOLE use, and he called them "MY STUFF."

If there is a "special hell" for child molesters and people who talk in the theater, I hope vpw gets imprisoned in its worst part.

He came to dinner at our house once. It was such a big deal and yes he got an envelope full of cash and Dambuie. He also did thtree things that would have put the rest of us in the reproof line; he drank and smoke at the dinner table, he had hus elbows on the table and was swearing his head off in front of my 5 year old wow sister, f bomb after f bomb. And we all smiled and thanked God for the privilage.  

• Upvote 1

The cover of The Toldeo Blade Sunday magazine, March 26, 1972.

BEYOND YUK!

Just FYI: I also have a PDF of that LIFE Magazine article, but it's too large to post here. The date of it is May 14, 1971. The cover has a photo of Carol Burnett on it. The article inside on The Way is titled, "The Groovey Christians of Rye, N.Y." by Jane Howard. With that article is a photo of VPW on his motorcycle, but it's a bit different than this one. Next to the photo is this:

"My vision," Way founder Dr. Victor Paul Wierwille likes to say, "is for the world! We're growing faster than we know how to handle." He made his first triumphal trip to Rye, from Ohio, on a motorcycle."

The Blade 3-26-72 VPW_small.jpg

Edited by penworks

13 hours ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

With all the money we give, we have to give more so he can have a fancy bike? i brought it up at a Junior Corps meeting and was yelled at and sent to bed. Loudly being reproved for being right is a terrible way to raise a child.      

Gaslighting is abuse. In the name of God or Truth, it is abject, reprehensible, wicked abuse.

It is born of a spiritual poverty by those who beleeeve the spiritually impoverished.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That bike was just the tip of the iceberg. There was also a restored classic Indian. (I don't recall the model.) Add to that, some classic cars, hunting gear, fishing tackle, personal...ahem... "hunting/fishing excursions", motor coach, private airplane and who knows what else.

But, you know, you could have those things, too, if you just believed big enough and got a clear picture of what you wanted.

Oh, and don't forget to add it all to your lift list.

Edited by waysider
spelling

5 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Charlene,

Is the PDF posted to your blog?

No. It's too big.

5 hours ago, waysider said:

But, you know, you could have those things, too, if you just believed big enough and got a clear picture of what you wanted.

And factor all this with a geometric relationship to your needs

Mmmph!

…just a tremendous kernel …a real dandy of an equation… a mathematically precise glove.

I now , and also at that time, live in Montana.. VPW and a group of TWI motocycle enthusists were part of a caravan riding to the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. When the group rolled in, our twig was expected “to be blessed” by providing them with a evening meal. Our twig of 6 or 7 was expected to feed several dozen bikers.

The caravan included VPW’s motor coach which he slept in, and also pulled a notorcycle trailer, so when he got tired of riding he could jump in the the coach to relax.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:18 PM, Stayed Too Long said:

I now , and also at that time, live in Montana.. VPW and a group of TWI motocycle enthusists were part of a caravan riding to the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. When the group rolled in, our twig was expected “to be blessed” by providing them with a evening meal. Our twig of 6 or 7 was expected to feed several dozen bikers.

The caravan included VPW’s motor coach which he slept in, and also pulled a notorcycle trailer, so when he got tired of riding he could jump in the the coach to relax.

Yes, that was one of those "good ole days" experiences for me.   Took one whole month off from work and was very excited to be one of the participants.   The believers at each stop were great, and so was all the food!   VPW and Mrs. Wierwille didn't ride the Twig Hopper much at all...he had that glass eye at that time too...   and along with VPW motorcoach there also was a full motorcoach for the participants to sleep in each night if they wanted to, to save money on hotel rooms.    I still have the daily journal written by Elena Whiteside who also rode with me on a few of those motorcycle legs.    

On 4/5/2024 at 9:18 PM, Stayed Too Long said:

What year was this? It sounds like that period of victor’s increasing unbelief/disbelief, hence his fatigue.