GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you follow the rules

Not sure where this belongs but I've been thinking about it all day.

John and I went to a Jackson Browne/Tom Petty concert last night. Our seats were in the 2nd to last row on the floor (this is in a large indoor hockey stadium). The biggest people I've ever seen were sitting in front of us. It was hard, if not impossible to see the stage without having to stand all night.

There were some empty seats with a better view and John suggested we move to them. I didn't want to. Even though I couldn't see - I didn't want to "break the rules" by sitting in someone else's seat.

Another example: There's an expressway exit about a mile down the road. There's a traffic light on all the lanes entering, exiting and going past the expressway. At night - the road isn't travelled too much. As a matter of fact, if it's late enough, there's never a car around. When we use the expressway, we have to get off and make a left. Sometimes, a friend of mine who lives in my neighborhood told me she will stop, look, and then run the light if there's not a car in sight. It bothers me. It's not "in the rules". I'd NEVER do it.

I'm wondering if being in TWI for a long period of time has had an influence on us following "the rules" that we encounter in our every day lives.

I'm wondering if it's okay to sometimes break the rules, as my friend and the red light. No harm was done. There wasn't an accident. No one saw it but her.

So the Poll question is:

Do you always play "by the rules"?

Please post as well

Hope R. color>size>face>

my daughter went to the bathroom at a concert and when she came back some friends stole her seats, she didnt get to see the concert as she was stuck standing up in the back by herself.

She was very upset. the tickets cost alot of money and she had them for weeks.

yes I have said I do have a problem with being too much of a rules girl.

but most are made for a reason that has been a trouble (car accident ring a bell?) If I have a need to know why I ask.

I didnt say they had to be a good reason.

Hope,

Breaking the rules, funny you would start this poll cause I was just saying to Cliff at dinner tonight how sometime I just want to run out and do things I was not allowed to while in twi.

Like:

Go "fullyshare" with the first "stranger" I find.

Say "create, fortunate and Merry Christmas".

Buy a lottery ticket.

Go to a community event just to be there and not witness.

See a horror flick, and not overspiritualize it.

Buy a house, but guess I am going to break that rule.

Not go to every meeting held.

Discuss twi business with "outsiders".

Oh well, just a couple, sure there are more. But yes Hope, I also deal with not wanting to break the dadgum rules.

Indebt,

My husband smiles at stop signs as he slowly passes them by.

I have been a rule breaker all my life.

spent many hours in my bedroom growing up--I broke the rules often. (My parents sent me to my room which had a tv, stereo, and telephone!)

If someone told me no, I did it anyway.

Probably why I ended up not married with two kids!

(not that I am complaining about that--I have 2 1/2 grandchildren and that is wonderful!)

My basic tenet is--RULES SUCK!

Kay

Kay1952

One time, I left the cap off of a marker overnight!

Yesterday, I drank some milk that was one day past the expiration date!

I ate a sandwich, and then went swimming right away! I didn't wait the 45 minutes!

I took 11 items through the 10 item only lane at the supermarket!

I'm bad!

Sure, rules and laws are there for a reason, but sometimes the reason is STUPID!

I'm not one to break the rules just because they are there; if you want to live among other people there has to be SOME level of order.

When I was "in" twi I was pretty anal about obeying the law. I had my license revoked once for multiple speeding tickets and subsequently found a verse in I Peter about submitting to every ordinance of man. I figured that in order to obey "the Word" in this case I would have to obey the law of the land also.

Since leaving twi I am not so concerned about every jot and tittle, but still try to follow the law whenever possible.

Oakspear

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

i would never have stayed in my seat. but if someone with the ticket for my "new" seat came and yelled at me i would move

(i also take photos until i get yelled at)

(i use men's rooms when women's lines are too long but i have someone stand guard outside and apologize when i come out)

i would go thru that light if no cop was around

i would never cut in line at certain places (like rush hour bus) because i value my life

i didn't vote wasn't sure which one was me

I have been known to break a rule or two...

I have been known to go 1 MPH(or more ) over the posted speed limit...

I have "changed seats" at events. If some ome comes up with a ticket to that seat I move.

If someone takes my seat I ask them to move or have security ask them to move.

I J-walk

I might play my music 1 decible over what is "leagly" allowed

I have even been told that what I have said was not PC

I'm a bad boy..

I was first attracted to TWI because

they offerred an unconventional (for 1974) approach to the Bible that let me combine my

social and spiritual interests. I don't think

it would suprise anyone here were I to note that

many were smoking pot and ,*gasp*, sexual relations were occurring between twig members.

I attribute this to post 60s behavior. No one in TWI promoted any of this but since most were of the same generation we were simply reflecting the attitudes and general practices of the time which still supported these activities - or at least

silently condoned them.

A funny story - once at a family night with about 20 people in attendance I asked a WOW if premarital sex was acceptable for Way follwers. The whole group started laughing and someone muttered "It had better be else many of us are going to hell". So my initial Way expereinces were far from the legalism and ultra conservatism associated with TWI under LCM.

But just as some of the most vocal hippies transitioned into middle age becoming equally as conservative as anyone they ever criticized I think people in TWI followed suit. As people started families and needed to quit prologing their adolescence they latched onto qualties and

attributes generally associated with adulthood.

In the 80s, society was reacting to the recent two decades with a strong dose of conservatism and religions turned more towards fundamentalism - TWI

was no exception in this regard. Lots of churches

got into the gay bashing thing - Of course few made it their personal fetish/obsession like Craig.

So I'm just pointing out that as far as rules, well I left before TWI became obssessed with them.

so any influence to abide by the rules has come from other sources such as my upbringing and family. My strongest objections to TWI relate to how they treated people and how they changed doctrine to suit their agenda. I wasn't around for the micromanagement days and can only imagine that it was a nightmare on top of what was already a

bad time.

I don't break the law. I do try to follow rules. I am very boring. I stop at stop signs. I drive the speed limit. Mostly cause I don't like paying for speeding tickets. I have never had tickets for anything! I am a by the book kind of person. I have loosened up some in my old age. I cuss, I drink wine, I don't go to church, I even flipped someone off the other day.

My husband on the other hand is a rule breaker. He loves to see what he can get away with and I don't want to know about the speeding tickets. I am sure he gets many of them.

I guess I would have to say I am a rule keeper, which sometimes annoys me!! LOL! I stop at stop signs, don't drive on the shoulder when there is a traffic jam, and don't run my shopping cart into the person in line in front of me!!!

But then again, depending on my mood and how I am told to "obey the rules" I CAN get feisty and defiantly break that rule in their face!!!

(I gave a boss the finger once, as I was leaving on my last day there--real brave, ain't I???? hahaha!)

Most of my life, I've been a rule keeper though-- the only detention I got in school was because during Homecoming week, a friend of mine dared me to leave red lip prints all over the bathroom mirror with her (I wasn't supposed to wear makeup, but my Mom relented that day for the school spirit dress up for that week) I got caught in the act by the principle's secretary!!!! I was SOOOOO embarrassed!!!

My hubby is a rule breaker -- if he sees a no trespassing sign and wants to see what is down that road, he drives down it anyway. Which is how the whole family got to see a nudist colony one day!!! heeheehee! An' it was all nekkid men!!!!

Maybe its the scofflaw in me, When I was younger especially I took special pleasure in extending the rules beyond all recognizable limits and twisting my reasoning for breaking them equally as far ( I can do this IM righteous !,...the law was not made for a righteous man but for....)

To me rules are in place as signposts to common sense, not necessarily hard and fast,just a good idea most of the time.

The older and tireder I get though it causes a lot less wear and tear if I just follow most of them, Most of them are pretty reasonable, but there is still a part of me that wants to measure my personal freedom in acts of disobedience.

probably some character flaw, its toned way down now but still there

...and let's not forget the leaders like LCM and others who insisted that the "rules" apply to everyone... EXCEPT FOR THEM!

I was also more of a risk taker in my younger years. Maybe it's because I have kids now that I pretty much stick to the rules of life. I don't want to teach them that certain things are okay to do when they're really not.

I will say that TWI definitely influenced me in this area. Especially the last decade. They have become SO anal-retentive when it comes to rules and order and neatness it's postively scary!

Hope R. color>size>face>

hope,

i suppose the short answer to your question is no, i do not always follow the rules. i routinely drive 5-10 miles per hour over the speed limit because i know that is what the speed limit really is suppose to be. incidentally, i haven't got a ticket in over 5 years.

ofcourse, when you ask a question that contains always or never it usually precludes an honest person answering affirmatively. for all my shortcomings and human frailties, i would hope that i am an honest person. i think the larger question for me is am i living my life ethically-which for me means am i being true to core values and principles. you know, the ideals that are at the heart of all religions...humility, compassion, justice, forgiveness and integrity.

i find by living by those ideals that i have no problems with authority. however, i am also aware that we are a much more just society today because some brave people violated the rules and even laws of their day because those laws were in conflict with their conscience. the signers of the declaration of independence, henry david thoreau, rosa parks, martin luther king are just a few examples of people who were willing to endure the cosequences or their actions with a view toward bringing about true justice.

robin

I forgot to tell you firebee -

Petty was great - yeah - he played that, and "I Won't Back Down" and a bunch of other old ones - but he also has a new album coming out soon and did a bunch of new songs.

As far as the seats go... once Petty came on, everyone on the floor was standing up anyway, so it really didn't matter where we were after all.

The people who had those empty seats did show up - seems they were only coming to see Petty and not Jackson Browne.

I hadn't thought about the speed limit. I rarely drive the speed limit and haven't gotten a speeding ticket in about 15 years - and that was the only one. So I guess I can selectively break the rules after all!

Hope R. color>size>face>

Robin - only 2 of the poll questions say "always" or "never"...

most rules are made for a reason, to keep people safe.

you get to the traffic light and it's red, it's late at night and no ones around so you run it. this happens night after night on the way home from work. 3 weeks nothing happens. 4 weeks nothing happens. 2 months and still nothing has happened.

one night you get to the traffic signal and look all ways, nothing. you pull out and run over a 12 yr old boy you didn't see on the side of the road. his mother is sitting in a car down the road and he has gone to get help because their car broke down. mom is in a wheel chair, thats why he went alone. she sits and waits but the only sign of life is an emergency vehicle that flys past. her heart sinks when she hears the siren stop not to far from where she sits and waits for her only child. but he's dead because you didn't follow that one rule that time. was it to much to sit and wait the 1 to 2 mins it takes for the light to cycle?

a personal concert tip:

pay 35.00 for some binoculars and get cheap seats. you'll have more fun and not be complaining the next day.

I don't break the law.

I don't tend to break general rules, unless it's

obvious that keeping it is less sensible than

not keeping it (thinking about work &

"rules for rules sake").

If situations warrant it, I'd consider either.

(For example, attacking someone who's about to

knife a kindergardener).

That having been said, it's amazing how many

people think I blindly follow rules, & how many

think I always ignore the rules.

(They should get together & conclude I'm 2

people.)

I'm getting more relaxed about always having to do the right thing -- especially what is going to LOOK good.

The more Way brain I shed, the more permission I give myself to make such decisions to do what I want to do instead of what is going to impress someone.

Occasionally that even means breaking a rule. By the way, I checked the 3rd choice in your poll.

Thanks, Hope and everybody else!