GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Moony,

It's been so quiet around I'm starting to get worried :(

Anyhow, I was thinking of posting some music to liven up the place. At first I wondered if I should continue you on my acapella trek I seem to be on at the moment. I started to search through my files thinking of the Manhattan Transfer since they are phenominal jazz vocalists when all of a sudden :thinking: out popped this song.

"OF COURSE! :rolleyes: " I thought!!! :wink2: MOONY!!!

So Moony... HERE is YOUR song!

Enjoy :biglaugh:

Edited by A la prochaine

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ala

I love this song (name came up) but I couldn't hear anything. :(

:redface::redface: :redface: Me Bad!!! I tried again and it still didn't work. :cryhug_1_: Then I turned up the volume on my speakers. I guess when I was cleaning around my desk, I must have turned all the way down. Guess I shouldn't clean again. :nono5:

Ala, I love this version of the song (now that I can hear it.)

Edited by moony3424

OK... can't leave without posting a few songs.

I'll continue with the Manhattan Transfer...and then let them to rest for all those who are just tolerating me here. :unsure:

This one HERE is a fun one... this arrangement is wild and all over the place. Amazing what they can do with those voices of theirs!

And last but surely not least... this one has got to be my favourite. It is a beautiful work of art. It's an old standard recorded a million times but this is an amazing rendition. It's called A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square. It sounds a bit dated... but bare with it... it's amazing what chords they achieve. Not conventional by any means.

Enjoy HERE.

Nighty night :yawn1:

Edited by A la prochaine

(((((y'all)))))

Wasway, good to see you back and I hope it ain't cause I left. :)

Sushi and Abi, y'all got my PM hopefully. And I was a good girl and bit my tongue and told no one as well. :wink2:

I miss y'all and should be able to play again soon I pray.

I must tell you of my new boneheaded thing though. I just accidentally called 911 and hung up not realizing it had gone through. But it became known when #2 was in a meeting and in walked 3 people telling him they thought I was in trouble and the police were outside of the office. Now of course it has traveled all about the building and even #1 had a smile on his face as I just passed him in the hall. Good lord! :redface:

(((((y'all)))))

Been sitting here pondering what will be my musical post??? hmmmmm???? <_<

Then I looked outside and saw the most dreary day of the year so far... it's raining, it's snowing, it's gloomy, it's just plain YIKKKY :(

So I got an idea :thinking:

Rain songs... there are a million of them ... but I picked two for your listening pleasure! :biglaugh:

This first one... is certainly bluesy... just like the weather outside is making me feel. This artist HERE needs no introduction I feel. She certainly was in a league all of her own.

OK...this next one is an exciting one for me. This lady HERE I saw last summer at the Montréal Jazz Festival. She is from Texas and has more love and passion in her music than I can express. Her name is Ruthie Foster. When I saw her perform... I think I had a bit of a musical euphoric experience :dance: . I walked away changed forever.

I know... I'm a strange one! :blink:

Chatty's BACK!!!!!!!! :jump:

Oh... smooth move there Kathy! ^_^

Edited by A la prochaine

Ala,

Ohh... Good songs! That first one.. Stormy Weather. Now that was Marie Osmond wasn't it? I could tell by the smooth voice. And WASWAY'S BACK!!!! And guess what folks? He's stumped me like he said he would. I want to say, "Curses! Foiled again!". 'Ya know, though.. those 80's TV themes were like Southeners living in Memphis... they all sound alike :biglaugh: . Uh, it wasn't Cagney and Lacey now was it??

Ok.. since everyone's been asking and so anxious about the one I posted... the male actor was Robert Mitchum.

sudo

Welcome back Kathy!! Even though, you said that you can't play yet, it's still good to see your shining face around.

Ala

Like your choice of songs. Could have used them LAST night when it was raining here.

Does anybody have any songs about a cold night (it's supposed to be cold tonight), while sleeping alone? That sounds like a blues song, if I ever heard one.

munch-jetty.jpg

Wow Pirate...that's impressive! :o

Sudo...You have such the sharp ear there sir!! Marie Osmond...so close...it was actually Blondie! :biglaugh:

Moony...

Glad you are enjoying the music. And I must say...I'm having so much fun!! :biglaugh:

Ok...a request... yeehah...MY FIRST!! :D

Yes, it's cold here too! Snow, wind, rain...just all round yukkie!!

I found a few COLD songs for you... and the funny thing...they were both written and sung by Canucks! Go figure :rolleyes: I guess they know something about living in the cold I guess.

This song HERE is called 10 Degrees and Getting Colder. It's sung by a very famous Canadian Icon. He's been around forever and has written some of the most beautiful ballads. I could go on and on and on. Don't get me started :rolleyes: This song is a very early Lightfoot song. My favourites were his early recordings. 1960's and '70's. Gordon Lightfoot was born and raised in Orillia, Ontario.

This next lady HERE is amazing. Joni Mitchell. She is a legend. The little girl with the whispey voice from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. She is a true musician ~ though these days she spends her days painting and enjoying her grandchildren. Her music stands on its own. She is said to have her own guitar tunings ... up to 12 different ones. She said she used to fool around 'til she found the sound she liked.

Quite a lady.

oh...this recording has a few glitches in it...so don't think it's your PC .. sowwy.

Edited by A la prochaine

Cowgirl,

Nice to have you Back In The High Life again...

wowza...beautiful song... had this album...

I can see why you would love this song... with its beautiful mandolin instrumentals

This guy sang with Genesis... and put out this album while still with the band...

Also, I thought it was cool that James Taylor does background vocals on this song... listen and you'll hear his distinguishable voice...

Actually the whole album is fantastic.. i must get this one back in my library!

Thanks Cowgirl...it was so beautiful to hear.

OH... George... you weren't serious were you? I don't mean to sound insulting.. I was just thinking maybe you were making a joke.

Edited by A la prochaine

Hey Cowgirl, your tune buy one of the old Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith and Traffic guys was a great. Do you remember THIS one? :spy: Its my favorite by him.

HERE Is one from the age of Nixon that brings back fond memories of days of future past. Anyone remember this one hit wonder's band?

Here is a Freebee. This is the rarely heard long version of this TV theme.

Edited by wasway

Chatty,

Ok...the first one... is Elton of course...but never was an Elton fan. He was the rage when I was in high school, but I couldn't get past the glasses and the shoes. That was me...just more of a country bumpkin' I guess. And the second well...I'm lost. :blink:

Wasway... the first one you played... was referring to Cowgirl's post ... so I'm assuming it was a Genesis song.

The second one... have no clue

The third one was a gimme. I really thought that show was funny. I'll never forget the episode where there was a bomb threat in the building (so they thought) but it was in the radio tower. They had sent the two DJ's to the tower so they could continue their programs... anyhow...the police run out to save them from the exploding bomb...and blond guy DJ (can't remember his name at this moment) panicked and thought the phone police were after him because he had smashed the telephone there to smitherenes 'cause he missed putting in his off-track bet with his bookie. I don't know... but it struck me so funny... PHONE POLICE... :lol: