Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sudo,

I watched I Dream of Jeannie off and on but I couldn't handle the reruns. :confused:

Hiwayman,

I've never heard another version so can't help. I did love Get Smart though even though it was goofy as heck in some ways.

I'm not a great parameter for some humor though because I don't like The Three Stooges. So I'm rather limited. :)

Rick,

Didn't know the singer nor the show. :(

Ala,

You're avatar is befitting of you at times. You bounce about in words with a smile on your face.

Gosh I need to watch the news or something, I'm sounding giddy. :unsure:

It's not old but it's fun. HERE

Rick, it's a good show and you missed the 2nd season??? It got picked up for a 3rd so you get to play catch up. You should see what the baby can do! All I can say is don't cross her.

Moony, are you talking about The 4400? Its 3rd "season" will air soon, and it has a baby as you describe. But that's not where the song comes from.

George

This one seems to be a little obscure. I personally love everything I've read by this author (who didn't really write this particular story, but adapted it for teevee or some such ....) :) I have this series on DVD and am currently watching it, a little at a time.

I don't have the exact quote but he used to say something to the effect that he never wanted to do a TV series because they always seem to have a beginning, a real long middle, then they get cancelled and there is no "end". So he was offered the opportunity to do a one-season series complete with beginning, midlde and end, and he took it.

Don't know who the singer is A la Prochaine, but if I get time later, I'll try to look it up. She does have a neat voice though!

OK, off to work!

Rick

OK... all this 'CRAZY' :confused: talk earlier got me thinking about a few things.

First off, I realize that I am unable to post songs without all you guys and gals knowing who the artist is.

So, I've decided I will simply interject once in a while and post songs for your listening pleasure. Sorta' like the resident Nostalgia DJ.

Now, please be kind and smile even if you don't like my choices in music. I will certainly do my best to play some nostalgic type tunes that will bring back the 'good ole' days' and send you down memory lane.

So... here I go! :unsure:

Well I was serious when I said that thing about the Crazy talk ... I started to think about this song HERE. Where were you when you first heard this song? Or maybe what memory is conjured up when you hear it?

Also this one HERE ? I recently read that this man was said to be the Ray Charles of Ireland. I thought that was adorable.

And last but not least. I know that this artist went through a God phase in his life. He recorded this song HERE which I thought was beautiful.

Enjoy.

hope some of you didn't listen to that 3rd song earlier...it was an incomplete file. I've fixed it ... it's now the whole song, not just 1/2. : )

Edited by A la prochaine

I see I have to post a tune that EVERYBODY knows..

If everyone didn't know I Dream Of Jeannie then SURELY they will know the next one. A hint... it had to do with a skipper and his mate on a three hour tour. So click HERE! and tell me this isn't the beloved theme song you listened to while watching the skipper, the professor, the millionaire, his wife and all!

sudo (who preferred Mary Ann to Ginger)

Ala,

Thanks for that first link. He was definitely a part of my growing up.

Didn't you play the second one along with another of his songs and I didn't care for :( the second? I could go back and look but I ain't. :wink2:

Interesting that he's been referred to as Ireland's Ray Charles.

And how many musicians went thru the God phase.

Sudo,

I have no idea but I prefer it over the one played on the show. Thank you. :)

Sudo,

I don't even know where to start but I found something while googling after I knew I couldn't guess anyway. I thought it worth bringing here.

(although I bet hiwayman knew it already lol)

http://www.tvacres.com/music_songs_honeybees.htm©

"You Need Us" - Song written by a trio of castaway females on episode No. 48 "Don't Bug the Mosquitoes" on the sitcom GILLIGAN'S ISLAND/CBS/1964-67. When a band of mop-top American rock and roll musicians known as The Mosquitoes (Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving) tried to escape their crazed fans, they had themselves dropped on a deserted island for some rest and relaxation. Their hunt for privacy was interrupted when they discovered the island was the home of a group of shipwrecked castaways desperate to return home.

To encourage the musicians to leave the island both men and women castaways formed singing groups. The female group called the Honeybees (comprised of Ginger, Mary Ann and Mrs. Howell) sang the song "You Need Us" ("like a clam needs a shell...Like a prisoner needs a cell). The men formed a rock group called The Gnats.

The Mosquitoes were so intimidated by the Honeybees talented performance, they secretly left the island but not before leaving a copy of their album "The Mosquitoes: Live at Carnegie Hall."

TRIVIA NOTE: The voice of Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was dubbed by singer-songwriter Carol Connor.

The Mosquitoes were played by Les Brown, Jr. (Bingo), George Patterson (Bango), Ed Wade (Bongo), and Kirby Johnson (Irving). Three of the Mosquitoes (excluding Bingo) were actually members of The Wellingtons, the folk singing trio that performed the theme song "The Ballad of Gilligan's Island."

A similar plot appeared on the western comedy F TROOP/ABC/1965-67 when Corporal Randolph Agarn (Larry Storch) quit the Cavalry to manage a frontier rock group called the "Bedbugs." To get Agarn to reenlist Sergeant Morgan O'Rourke (Forrest Tucker) formed a band called the "Termites" in hopes of discouraging Agarn in his new career.

Chatty... you wrote:

"Didn't you play the second one along with another of his songs and I didn't care for :( the second? I could go back and look but I ain't. :wink2:"

ooooppppsss!! :confused:

Sorry... I posted the wrong dang song! I meant to post this one HERE.

And I worked so hard on that post... sheeeshhh! :blink:

Enjoy!

Edited by A la prochaine

Sudo, take a guess about what? This song couldn't have been about the original vacationers, because Ginger and Mary Ann were not secretaries, and the Professor was not a high school teacher.

By the way, have any of you ever heard the version of the Gilligan's Island theme sung to the tune of "Stairway to Heaven"? It was pulled almost as soon as it wa released (some sort of legal squabble); but I bet Sudo or one of teh others could find it and post a link. :wink2:

George

Just thought I'd come on real quick. Have had a pretty rough time of it this week. Doing great with the new position, though still getting used to the new hours. School started again this week. Tonight was my business law class. I love the professor and have had him previously in 2 other law classes. He makes the law live, instead of it being something difficult and dry. Also, this week I had a root canal and later ended up having an abscess in my sinuses from the tooth up to my eye. Looks like I was in the losing side of a fight, complete with a black eye (I just say that Ted punched my through the phone. :wink2: Not really. He's been wonderful!) I'm still in a lot of pain from that. At least the weekend's coming and I will get some rest (in between studying).

Edited by moony3424

Y'all, I'm gonna take a short sabbatical due to needing to focus on care of myself. I know this is dorky to announce it. But if I just don't post that appears rude or questionable since I love this place. So that's why I announced it. :redface:

The folks that want to talk to me from here know where I'm at and if anyone else is looking I'm not hard to find.

Be well you crazy and wonderful folk! :)

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to guess with that faux Gilligan's Island song.

I did enjoy Katny's reference to the atrocius 'rock' songs that cropped up in 60's tv. The "Ladybugs' were cute to look at, but yikes what a song.

I couldn't believe the F troop episode where they played frontier hippies and sang 'Lemon tree' It does sound like Melody patterson is really singing at least-If you call that singing.

Then there was the Bewitched episode where Serena, (Elizabeth Montgomerey playing her identical cousin) played a 'hippy' with a gawd awful song called 'If'n". They liked it so much they even played it over the closing credits.

I know there are more. if I think of some I'll post later.

Also, this week I had a root canal and later ended up having an abscess in my sinuses from the tooth up to my eye. Looks like I was in the losing side of a fight, complete with a black eye (I just say that Ted punched my through the phone. :wink2: Not really. He's been wonderful!) I'm still in a lot of pain from that.

Sudo, I sure could have used you last night!

I didn't hardly sleep last night (even after taking vicodin) because of the pain. By this morning, I was still in a lot of and my face was so swollen I couldn't smile. (It almost looked like I had a stroke.) I called my dentist, but he was out of town. The girls in the office got me into another dentist this morning and he drained the infection (ouch). He then told me to go home and rest and not go back to work, as I work with terminally ill patients with low immune systems. He did give me a script of percadan, since the other didn't touch the pain last night, but so far I haven't needed it. Since the swelling has gown down (not completely, but enough), so has the pain.

When I was done, I went to my dentist's office to thank the girls for everything they did to help me today.

Wow Moony...

Sounds like you've been through the mill this week.

Ouch Girl!!

Glad to hear you are on the mend now. : )

Chatty,

You mend yourself up too .... I can't be the ONLY female around here... I can't compete with this Gilligan's Island and the moviestar Ginger. : (

I'll post some music...maybe that'll make me feel better.

OK... Here I am!

This song HERE is a beautiful but sad story of love lost.

My daughter performed this with her high school choir and I thought it one of the most beautiful but haunting songs I had ever heard. (this in not her choir performing this though)

Hope it doesn't send you poor ailing ladies back to bed. :(

Hope you enjoy these voices.

Nothing like the human voice is there. The perfect instrument. :wub:

Edited by A la prochaine