GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

All this talk about Cowgirl's post got me thinking about Genesis...so I thought of other members of that band and their solo careers.

This is the bass/guitar player HERE Mike Rutherford with one of his songs. His albums were produced in the 80's and the band was called Mike and the Mechanics. Wonderful stuff they did. Actually, this is a poopie song compared to some of the other songs he recorded...but this was the only one I had in my library. :(

Now, there is this guy HERE. He took over the lead vocals when Peter Gabriel left Genesis, and they haven't looked back since. This tune is him and N' Sync from the Disney Tarzan movie. It's called Trash N' The Camp.

Now I apologize for the my choices here...they're the only ones I had in my library... but just the same... they're good tunes. He won an Academy award for this one HERE.

OK...I couldn't resist... this one HERE is for Cowgirl. I believe this is Nickel Creek...but I'm not 100% sure. If it is... these albums were produced by Alison Krauss. :biglaugh:

Nighty night all! :yawn1:

Edited by A la prochaine

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK...I couldn't resist... this one HERE is for Cowgirl. I believe this is Nickel Creek...but I'm not 100% sure. If it is... these albums were produced by Alison Krauss.

Not just Cowgirl. There are others here that appreciate bluegrass! I've liked Nickel Creek since their first album and Alison Krauss is awesome!!

Moony,

I'm sorry... didn't realize you loved the stuff.

At times, I feel it's an acquired taste ... and not everyone fancies the stuff.

Didn't mean to leave you out sweet Moony. :(

But now that I know it... I'm going to play some for you too ... I promise.

Ya, Nickel Creek are pretty darn good! I have their first 2 albums. They then changed producers and I haven't heard any of their stuff since.

I played that one for Cowgirl because she is very much a mandolin enthusiaste.

I'll get it straight... I promise I will. :unsure:

By the way...Goodmorning everyone! :D

Edited by A la prochaine

IIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! :biglaugh:

Ok...this is Moony's fault...she should have never mentioned her love for Bluegrass. :nono5:

Now I'm on a Bluegrass Feast.

This group HERE is a group called Old Crows Medicine Show. These are a young bunch of guys that hail from Nashville. They have certainly captured a very 'old time' sound. And this one HERE is one of my favourites. I read that Norah Jones performed this song at a Tsunaime relief concert. Quite a feather in their cap!

This next group I discovered this summer. These ladies hail from Vancouver B.C. and have the most haunting but interesting sound. They have been described as gothic folk... a term I've never heard of before. Yet, they certainly border on the bluegrass feel of things. Just click HERE and HERE and give a listen if you're in the mood for different.

...and MOONY...this one is for you. Click HERE and enjoy. :biglaugh:

Have a wonderful Friday.

Edited by A la prochaine

Kathy, I don't know who the second one is. Just as a couple guesses, Duke Ellington? Miles Davis? I like that kind of music but I'm not good at recognizing whodunit. :)

OK, since we're on a Mountain Music kick, how about a DIFFERENT kind of Mountain Music? Or, try THIS one for a REALLY different kind of Mountain music!(Hope everyone gets the pun on that one. :) )

Rick

Kathy, I don't know who the second one is. Just as a couple guesses, Duke Ellington? Miles Davis? I like that kind of music but I'm not good at recognizing whodunit. :)

Actually I don't know who it is. My son had burnt me a copy of Diana Krall's CD The Look of Love some time back and included it in the mix. I was hoping someone else would. :unsure:

OK, since we're on a Mountain Music kick, how about a DIFFERENT kind of Mountain Music? Or, try THIS one for a REALLY different kind of Mountain music!(Hope everyone gets the pun on that one. :) )

Without listening…Clapton, Hendrix, VanHallen, Vagrants. (based on SaintGeorge's clue)

Rick

All this talk about Winwood and Genesis made me crazy...So I did some research.. I searched Stevie Winwood's entire life and, while he played and/or sang as a guest with almost every British Group over the past 40 years at one time or another, I couldn't find any one who attributed him to any Genesis effort..??

My first one was from Winwood's second Solo Album 'Aja' in 1980. The song was called "Arc of A Diver" and never received any air play until after his "High Life" album was released, and made him a hot property.. In his past he had played with Spencer Davis and in Clapton's 'Blind Faith' in the 60's , and in Traffic in the late 60s and early 70's, then went solo in the mid 70's.

Good Call on # 2 George, It was by one-hit-wonder Strawberry Alarm Clock who turned one song into an entire Psycadelic career playing it on every TV variety and late night talk show and any sitcom that would have them for over 5 years. They also released 9 more albums and even an anthology album of their 'hit' over the period but never were able to duplicate the success of I&P.

WKRP in Cincinatti was a favorite of mine. When Dr. Johnny Fever said "booger" it forever changed my opinion of radio :)

Bluzemans pun on 'Mississippi Queen' was because the song was performed by the 1969

Leslie west/Felix Papalardi Age of Aquarius incarnation "Mountain"

Edited by wasway

Wasway,

Thank you for correcting me there. My boo-boo... don't know where I got the idea that Winwood was associated with Genesis. Maybe it was Mike and Mechanics and Winwood having hits in the same time period. Not sure????

I've been known to bouts of confusion...ask my husband! : )

Thank you again for straightening it out for me!

No apologies necessary A la.. Winwood was one of those overnight successes that followed 20 years of trying.. Not unlike Bob Seger, who played in several bands and played in bars and high school gyms (mine included) for years before his Night Moves album in 75 made him famous. Back in the closet I have 8 Seger Albums that preceeded Night Moves.