GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Alright...

The show was Father Knows Best.

I knew that now that it came out. It was like bong! that's it!

And RealPlayer is the option I went with. I already had it on my PC but downloaded it on my laptop as well. It enables me to listen to Ala's links except for those last ones you weren't able to convert either. But she won't be using those anymore as I know she mentioned.

Hey all. :wave:

What's this? Kathy leaves for a day and the thread dies. Kathy, did you know you have the power to kill thread? :dance:

I use to think I had that power because threads stopped after I posted in them all the time that first year. I posted like my fingers were magnetically drawn here. :blink:

Billie Holliday

And the Eric Clapton song was called Alberta, Alberta that I recognized.

I love Billie Holliday!

This will sound dumb perhaps but I don't like his version. :( But that's how I've always felt about Clapton (love/hate thing).

You're doing really great Ala. :)

I liked Father Knows Best but I knew it wasn't the real world I lived in but it made me feel hopeful for something bigger than my world.

I missed you guys and I'm glad to be back home. :love3:

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello again!

As I read the past days post this song came to mind...

It's a Jack Johnson (surprise surprise :rolleyes: )

Anyhow... it's about humans and there interesting facets <_< :( :) :blink: :biglaugh::realmad::love3: :unsure: :lol:

enjoy.

ok... I think i have the wrong song... I'm gonna have to search for it and be back.. .sorry : (

Kathy... glad to see you back home safe and well.

Edited by A la prochaine

I'm softening my critique of Father Knows Best, as I consider that I've seen every single episode! I couldn't have hated it that much if I watched the reruns so faithfully. I still contend that the show was often way off base with their scale of 'values', and I still get bad vibes from Robert Young.

Still, it had merits. I've never sat through more than 10 miutes of any Brady Bunch-so there's a show I REALLY hated.

Okay, I'm no good at posting songs, but here are a couple of photos of men who played different roles in Star Trek movies and shows. Can you tell me what alien species they played? (Each one has at least three answers!)

combs.jpg

narozeninysarek.jpg

Can you also tell me what (non-Star Trek) show the second actor also starred in?

George

ok the second guy played a Romulan in 'Balance of terror'-first season original Star Trek

He then played a Vulcan, Spock's father, first in "Journey to Babel'-second season original series, then returned as Spock's father in several of the Star trek movies, and ultimately passed away in that role in 'Star Trek-the Next Generation '.

He also played a Klingon in 'Star Trek-the Motion Picture'-destroyed by V'ger in the first five minutes.

He was the main 'heavy' in 'Here Comes the Brides'- forever trying to buy out that damn mountain the Bolt brothers owned

Now that I've impressed you all, I have to say I don't even recognize the first guy

I didn't recognize that last tune, so I went back to the beginning of the thread to see if it was revealed. If it was, I didn't get that far, because I was reading all the old Superman stuff. Too bad I wasn't around when the thread started!

To get to the actual beginning of this thread. you'd have to go back to the spring of 2001. (March or April, I'm not sure exactly.) It's amazing that this has kept going that long. Five years is like an eternity in the internet world.

I remember "Dennis the Menace" too because I was the one that guessed it way back when.

Pirate,

Rick was saying you'd remember when this thread started. Will it really be 5 years this Spring? I was mentioning how the Father Knows Best theme was the first one I posted. If I remember correctly, but Dennis the Menace was like number 2. Since we have a bunch of new players, we'll some of those again.

I started the thread because I had found a bunch of those old TV themes on the internet and was playing them for people on my computer. What I found out was that either people could name them or they couldn't. Even very well known themes like the I Love Lucy theme. I was astounded when my sister-in-law who for a while was a singer in a band couldn't name those that most of us here could name in two notes.

It's been fun, huh?

sudo

Can you also tell me what (non-Star Trek) show the second actor also starred in?

George

George,

Was it Fantasy Island ??? :blink:

He had his little side-kick guy with him I think?

OK... again...I never watched the show... just knew of its' happening...and who played on it. May have watched 2 episodes if that.

Sudo and Pirate,

You got me thinking about oldies when you were talking about the historic aspect of this thread.

I mentioned a certain movie earlier that was pertinent (I thought) to the discussion that

Sudo and Highway were having.

This song HERE was played in one of the scenes in that movie.

Who is the singer?

Edited by A la prochaine

ok the second guy played a Romulan in 'Balance of terror'-first season original Star Trek

He then played a Vulcan, Spock's father, first in "Journey to Babel'-second season original series, then returned as Spock's father in several of the Star trek movies, and ultimately passed away in that role in 'Star Trek-the Next Generation '.

He also played a Klingon in 'Star Trek-the Motion Picture'-destroyed by V'ger in the first five minutes.

He was the main 'heavy' in 'Here Comes the Brides'- forever trying to buy out that damn mountain the Bolt brothers owned

Now that I've impressed you all, I have to say I don't even recognize the first guy

I'm glad hiway got the info on Mark Lenard before his picture disappeared! (Correct on all counts.)

Since you don't recognize the other actor, I assume you haven't seen any of the ST shows after Next Generation.

George

Let's just say I wasn't a fan of the other Trek shows, though I certainly saw them. I didn't care for Deep Space Nine at all, and rarely watched it. Voyager had it's moments, but I never got into it, though I watched it now and then. I wanted to like Enterprise, and watched most of them. It was very disappointing , but gathered steam in the season where they had to journey to that hostile warped space for the season.

But no, I don't recognize that guy-maybe it's the angle of the picture, but I can'r place him.

I can't play the song that A La posted, but am curious.

Aw rats! Finally, I knew the singer, but then I saw her name on my little toolbar or taskbar, whichever the one is along the bottom - great song, tho! I didn't know if I'd be able to play that mp4 stuff, but my winamp kicked in and took over. Cool. :dance:

I didn't have time to post earlier when I read what you wrote about Alberta, Alberta, but it's one of my favorite Clapton tunes!

Hello Bowtwi!! :wave:

So nice to see you here! :dance:

Yes... ALA has joined the ranks of 'TUNE POSTERS' but... I have these weird files for some reason???

But I wish I could hide the names of the artists ... I change the file name as instructed by the Bluzeguy...but they still show up <_<

Ya, Alberta, Alberta... you gotta love that song! :biglaugh:

George... was I correct on my guess??? or are you waiting for more input on that one before you give away the answer?

Edited by A la prochaine

Ala,

No, it was not Ricardo Montalban (who played in the Wrath of Khan movie and Fantrasy Island). It was Mark Lenard, who played the characters described by hiway.

The other actor played TWO recurring characters in Deep Space Nine and one in Enterprise, as well as doing a one-shot on Voyager. (He also has had a recurring role in The 4400, a sci-fi show on USA Network.)

George

Nice try, but incorrect. This actor is somewhat older than the young man who played Hugh. He was never in Next Generation. In addition to Deep Space 9, Voyager, and Enterprise, he appeared in one episode each of "The Flash" and "Babylon 5." He has also done voice-over work for a lot of cartoons.

George

SaintGeorge,

Did he play Quark?

Ala,

There's a program you can download that will strip the title away as well as convert files. I have that one but haven't mastered it yet. I have another program though that I use which also converts but isn't as good as that one. Why don't you mess around with posting for a bit longer and then we'll teach you that better program. See the thing about changing the name like Rick taught you was to shorten the name you linked (for the most part) but once the file is burned with the title in it even if you change it the name remains. :(

I thought I'd recognized the singer in your last link and just about the time I had that thought I to saw the name like bowtwi did. :)

Cowgirl,

I think that is a program you were wanting to learn also so you could strip your titles. Let me get familiar with it girls and I'll help teach ya. Or the guys can also since they know it better than I perhaps.

Pirate, Sudo and Rick,

That's real cool about the start of this thread. I missed all those years. Thanks loads for suffering us newbies thru it again. :unsure: