GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Ala,

Yes.. I understand but do YOU understand that you are uploading and linking to M4P files? Specifically, in your last post, you linked to Trooper.m4p. I can't play that file so I can't listen to it. I just thought you'd want to know that :) .

sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ala, I just tried them all and was unable to play the last two as well. But what mine says is RealPlayer which is the way I'm able to play your other two needs me to install something further. I didn't opt that yet as I wanted to see if perhaps they could be converted as Sudo had to do to play your others.

(brb y'all....we're talking in the background)

Okay here’s the scoop. Our new little link poster that dances all over the page will not be linking those type things anymore. She has a vast library to choose from that will allow us all to listen, although some will have to be done with other than Media Player. Which brings me to Sudo's question and yes RealPlayer will play those without you having to convert them. And it was an itunes issue which doesn't really need to be gotten into since she doesn’t have to use those files for now.

Kathy.. that Dennis the Menace theme you posted was one of the very first I posted way back when I started this thread on WayDale. Wanna' know what the very first one posted?? And this one even pre-dates Dennis the Menace. Click <a href=http://mail.bluzecentral.net/~sudo/abb.wav><font color=red>HERE!</font></a> Whoever composed this tune must have hated violin players! Man! Listen to them GO!

I know that show but why can't I say it! Yet from hiwayman's account I'm not sure that I know the right show. :unsure:

And you got that right on the violin players. Either that or they were drinking some of those booster drinks. :confused:

I didn't recognize that last tune, so I went back to the beginning of the thread to see if it was revealed. If it was, I didn't get that far, because I was reading all the old Superman stuff. Too bad I wasn't around when the thread started!

That was enjoyable to read. How you went into your own fun thing. Or I just flat out needed that smile one.

Ala,

You were so kind to me in your words. But I certainly don't see all that. Thank you nonetheless sweetie.

And I loved that one song. The first one in your post that has two right beside each other. JJ is the initials I think you said. That first one had me rocking. Very sweet!

Ted,

I didn't mean to say that thing about your song to Ala in such an afterthought way. I rather thought it rude upon reading it again. Please forgive me.

Ala,

I have iTunes (it's a free download with Quick Time 7.0). I can download your files, but I can only PLAY your m4p files if I've paid to do so.

George

Oh, and the song sung to a man's wife is presumably by a Canadian actor, since his name appears in the file name!

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Hello Sudo, George, Sushi and mommie Kathy,

Thank you for all your input here.

Ya it's been a big mysterioius puzzle. :confused:

George,

sorry I've caused so many problems with this mp4 thingy... wierd it is!

OK... I won't be playing anymore of my downloaded thru' ITunes songs for now. I only have a few of those at the moment anyhow.

You said that the singer is a canadian actor. Nope, he isn't. If you saw the song title being William Shatner...yes, that's the title... but it isn't sung by him.

Sudo,

You are sweetheart trying to figure out how to download all these mp4's ... I would have just given up by now.

Now, the first song I posted... the JJ song which George liked... it was a m4a file...??? and everyone was ok with it right??? Now that song was from a CD I imported onto my ITunes library.

Kathy,

Thanks for everything you've done! :cryhug_1_:

Attempting to put another song on here.. this time...no mp4s.

I was watching the movie Corrina, Corrina last night ... the one that was done in 1995 with Woopie Goldberg where she is a maid in the 50's for this guy who's just lost his wife.

Anyhow, cute story.

The guy in the movie is a jingle writer. He writes music jingles for advertisements. Whoopie is this wonderful woman who is a connaisseur of music (I think she went to school to study music in the movie.. not sure) ... throughout the movie they're playing Billie Holliday, Bill Evans, and a real wonderful old blues

rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

OK... I perked up when I heard this song being sung...called... Corrina, Corrina. Immediately I thought... wow... I have that song... It's an Eric Clapton song on his Unplugged album 1992. But when I went to look for it... it wasn't there...???? strange I thought.

So, I started to do a little research...turns out ... this song Corrina, Corrina was performed by Big Joe Turner in the movie. Corrina, Corrina was first recorded in 1928. It's a very old blues tune.

Now, there has been a 'sister' song of Corrina, Corrina recorded as well called Alberta, Alberta. It's the same melody and lyrics just different names used in the song.

And the Eric Clapton song was called Alberta, Alberta that I recognized.

I wish I had the Soundtrack version of Corrina, Corrina to play you .. but I don't. But I do have the Eric Clapton one.

This has got to me one of my all time favourite Clapton Songs. He makes a mistake at the beginning which they kept in the recording. I think it brings such a human touch to Clapton's music. Also, Chuck Lovell is the keyboardest...quite amazing.

OK...enough blither... sorry this isn't one of those guess the artist ones... i guess it's just one of those...enjoy ones. :rolleyes:

crossing all fingers and toes in hopes that this works. :huh:

Click HERE

Okay...

Getting back to the nostalgia tune I posted (Click HERE!) that only Hiway29 knew.. Looks like I'm going to have to give hints. Some of you youngsters may not remember the TV show that well. It was a family sitcom, I guess you would call it today. It had a father, a mother two daughters and a son. One of the daughters was a real kitten, I can tell 'ya!

Hiway29 is going to have to elaborate a little more on why he hated this show after everyone gets it because... I liked the show. *I* thought it taught some good lessons and was very heart warming :blink: .

sudo (still marveling at those violins!)

George,

YIPPEEKAY-YAY!!!!!!

also, the musician I posted initially that George mentioned with the initials JJ is a certain Jack Johnson.

He's pretty new on the scene...sorta'...but is making quite an impact. Glad you enjoyed him.

Sudo,

Sorry I can't help you with that sitcom... I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's and by '75 at the very young age of 15 was heavily involved in a cult.

TV scene was pretty much obsolete at that point with LCM teaching... 4 reasons to blow up your television. Then, later on...was too darn poor to purchase a TV 'til my mom in law purchased one for us in 1983.

Again, it sat in a closet for a good 6 months before we ever watched the thing. We only pulled it out because that summer the olympics were happening and we thought we might be able to watch some of the events.

After this, hubby and I returned to school full time and we couldn't afford cable ... so we watched snowy reception of Hawaii-Five-O and something about Buck Rogers in the 20th century.

OK... I AM CERTAINLY BLITHERING NOW!!!!

It's a beautiful snowy day here.. no nice and cozy!

I'll be glad to elaborate on that show , sudo. For now, and this is just how I felt, I never believed the father in the series. It may be unfair, but I pictured him as being a real sob in real life.

As far as show specifics. The actor who played the kid talks about this, and I have to concur. In one episode the mother and father are having an arguement, which freaks the kids out. parents argue? Not in a REAL american home. The oldest daughter concocts a rationale that the parents were PRETENDING to argue to show an example of how BAD families live. Then the parents go along with her-oh no, we weren't arguing, we never argue.Everyone calms down. whew.

That's an extreme example, but it's the vibe I always got when watching how they interacted.Maintaining the image of a wholesome , perfect, family was more important than dealing with truth. One could almost compare it to life in the way, if one were so inclined. I know in real life, the father had drinking problems, the son was arrested for pot and black balled in Hollywood, the youngest daughter 's real life was abusive and dysfunctional, and she became a prostitute for a time . The oldest daughter had perhaps the most success in her career, but to me she was always whiny, petty, and snobbish. 'Princess' indeed.

It's not that I didn't watch the show. I've seen probably every episode !-so obviously something kept me coming back. Like I said in my last post-they had tear jerking down to a science, and I must admit that at times I'd choke up when those violins came in right at the climactic moment.

I also liked the mother very much. A woman who's abilities should have gotten her out of the kitchen more. I know it was the 50's and a different time, but it still bothers me. I do recall an episode where she does decide to get a job, but in true 50's fashion she saw the error of her ways by the final violins, and realized making dinner for those kids and worshipping dad was her true calling.

Maybe I'm too hard on this show. It's not like there weren't a hundred other 50's family sitcoms that seem archaic in retrospect. I dig Beaver, and the Nelsons. This show just got under my skin somehow.

oh gawd, a 2006 version of that show is too revolting to ponder. A bunch of wisecracking know it all kids, and 'one liners' for half an hour.

Though maybe in the spirit of today, that show would be perfect, as it seems there are many who are trying to send the country back to the 50's. Maybe the time is ripe for a rerun revival ! I'm kind of surprised tv land hasn't done it.

On further reflection, I shouldn't be THAT hard on the show-there are LOTS of shows that deserve that kind of lambasting. Brady Bunch comes to mind, for one.

Alright...

The show was Father Knows Best. Heck, I liked the show myself and saw Robert Young in a very favorable light. I wasn't alone... it was a top rated show but as Hiway29 points out, he DID have a drinking problem.

Now how 'bout this lady from the series??? She is Mrs. Sarak Spock here. She is today, in her '90s.

AmandaGrayson.JPG

sudo