The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's an old jingle for all you early risers!!
Don't mind if I do! Oh, and I'll have some of those beans also (chocolate covered).
So what kind of avatar should the bluzeman have anyway I wonder?

Something that won't wander away.

Kathy, does that theme ever bring back memories. (Are we aging ourselves or what?)

Edited by moony3424

Ala !!! I absolutely loved that piece you posted, thanks mucho !!!

Hey did you order up that white stuff ????????? There's buckets of it coming down right now!!! I had been running on bare trails for a bit now I've got to plough through this stuff..........AAAAAAARG!!!

Something that won't wander away.

Kathy, does that theme ever bring back memories. (Are we aging ourselves or what?)

Truth be told I'd find Rick a fitting avatar if I thought he'd use it. <_<

Sometimes these oldies will bring back memories of my sister, brother and I lying on the floor in front of the tv and I can almost see and hear them. Those are very sweet for me, so very sweet. :wub:

Send some snow my way Cowgirl! :)

Wasway, I've always liked that show (though I didn't like the spinoff as well).

I liked them both, though I must admit that I didn't watch the last couple of seasons of the spinoff. (Actually, there were two spinoffs; the other featured the family of the feisty, little barmaid.)

George

Hey did you order up that white stuff ????????? There's buckets of it coming down right now!!! I had been running on bare trails for a bit now I've got to plough through this stuff..........AAAAAAARG!!!

Cowgirl

I truely feel for you. Right now, it's 66 down here and it's supposed to get up in the 80's. I have the windows open to let in the fresh air. I'll think about ya (and be thankful that it's not me that's living in the tundra).

Hello Everyone! :wave:

Well it sure have been busy around these parts lately!

Chatty...I'm still trying to figure out who is that playing on that song you posted along with the Elton John one.

Can't be Miles Davis... he played trumpet. I'm pretty sure Charlie Parker played Sax (no time to google right now) ... maybe him??? But it almost sounds like it was an ensemble of saxophones only. Gonna get hubby to listen to it..he might come up with something.

OK... as far as your theme .... the older one that Moony knew... I have no clue :blink:

The other theme that I think Wasway posted... is of course the Drinking Establishment in Boston theme.

A certain clutzy psychologist ended up with his own show from that one. I always thought his brother Niles was a hoot - lusting after the british house nanny. (who by the way was the virgin in one of the most famous Seinfeld episodes...you know, the one about what you do when your 'ALONE'!! :who_me::evildenk: :unsure:

I digress... please apologize.

Cowgirl...so glad you enjoyed that!

Bluzie,

Have no idea who that hippie chick celtic singer is??

But that brings me to my next theme... I was just waiting for someone to mention CELTIC... and so... if I drive you crazy in the next few posts...well just blame it on Rick!! :biglaugh:

Edited by A la prochaine

The first lady I thought of when someone (we won't mention who :biglaugh:) mentioned CELTIC...was Kate Rusby.

I discovered her in a Chapters store... hovering over the Celtic section with the headphones on. I was in heaven. She has won tons of awards in Britain. She has a fear of flying, so has never ventured over here to North America. I guess I'll have to make a trip someday to England to see her. And for you men out there...she's as cute as a button.

The first song HERE is called Radio Sweethearts. This one she sings with another woman called Kathryn Roberts. Such a beautiful waltze.

This next one HERE is William and Davy. This song is about twin boys. It's cute.

This one HERE is called Cowsong. I think it's so pretty.

And last but surely not least this one HERE. It's a sweet acapella tune called Huntin' the Hare. (poop :( I just realized that this is not a complete file...sowwy :( )

OK...in that case I must add one more song ... this is my favourite... Botany Bay. HERE

Enjoy.

I have more...but will hold back. :wink2:

Edited by A la prochaine

Ala,

I find Celtic songs' lyrics hard to understand but I *LOVE* that song you posted... Radio Sweethearts. I mean, it almost brings a tear to my eye. Sorry, Rick... your Irish song wasn't exactly my type either but you know what?? It's been GREAT hearing all this music! However, Radio Sweethearts is a permanent keeper on my hard drives.

Oh, I do have one Celtic song I can post. It's about a couple of lassies who get curious as to what a Scotsman DOESN'T wear under his kilt! Click HERE :redface:

sudo

Oh, I do have one Celtic song I can post. It's about a couple of lassies who get curious as to what a Scotsman DOESN'T wear under his kilt!
:jump:
think that the vocalist in Rick's first "Mountain" tune will become clear to those us who have been around over a half-century by clicking HERE !!

Could it be a dusty path?

Edited by moony3424

Sudo,

Thank you so much for letting me know how that song moved you. That is to me one of the highest compliments anyone could give me. :redface2:

Yes, celtic songs are sometimes very hard to figure out what they are saying. It's usually because of the accents that they are being sung with.

Your celtic song was very cute by the way...

HERE's another celtic song by the same artist.

Actually speaking of celtic songs that are hard to understand. My husband said to me one day, "I don't like that song... they're singing about their Daddies in Heaven!" And being Waybrained still back then didn't think it was an 'appropriate' song.

I'll play it and you can tell me what you think it means. But you must promise me to not look at the song title when it comes up since I don't have the program that hides the song titles. :nono5:

NO PEEKING

Edited by A la prochaine

Saint George,

Yes it is Billie Holiday. Did you notice the poor recording with background sounds? Everything I have of hers is that way. It makes me cherish her all the more because it was done by less than perfect equipment and had it not been we'd not have her at all. I'm thankful for the early recording engineers and novice that made possible our enjoyment today.

As for the second one I wouldn't have known the artist myself and wasn't sure if maybe too remote a link so I'll provide a clue.

HERE This may be a give away clue: He was born in New York but raised in Baton Rouge, cut his first record in 1957 at Cosimo Matassa's J&M studio as Johnny Ramistella and the Spades.

Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns is right! Excellent Moon Girl! :)

So I better see if I can come up with something else.

brb......

I'll tell ya up front I can't listen to it all way through. I know when I was a younger I enjoyed him but something changed. HERE

And because I don't think it fair to be cruel and leave ya with that one. HERE