GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

George:

This thread takes many turns at times. Some of us get on a kick posting music from time to time. With me, it's usually because I don't have time to go out and find tv and movie theme songs, but want to keep the thread rolling, so I'll post something I already have on my hard drive. But eventually, it comes back around to the tv and movie themes.

This afternoon, I promise I'll go find some more on-topic things to post! :)

Rick

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

George,

Like Rick was saying, we get off on tangents around here but think about this... we've been doing the Nostalgia thread for nearly 5 years now. How many old TV shows and movies could we do every day? So what its turned into is a sort of.. do a little "old TV" and movies and a mish mash of tunes nostalgic "in general". And what we love about nostalgia stuff is the "warm fuzzies" it gives us all. So... that leads to even not-so-old songs that we like because, well, we like them.

The problem is then... what one person LOVES in not-so-old music, another person HATES. So what we try to do is have a little diversion and then get back to *SERIOUS* business!! Old stuff. Another thing, too George is that once folks learn how to post songs (and it takes a bit to learn it) its easy to get carried away at first. Hey... have YOU ever considered posting a tune or two?? Hmmmm???

Here's an old TV series made in the 50's that is rare today in that the star of the show is still alive! and doing quite well, it appears. I love the song. Just listen to the harmony! Click on the star's picture to hear it. I'm the oldest regular here and am probably the only one who remembers watching this show. Oh! I forgot.. Ted may be tuning in. He's got me beat by a year or two :biglaugh:.

obrian.jpg

sudo

I watched Hugh O'Brien as Wyatt Earp as a kid, though they were already deep in reruns by then.

As far as I know, it was always syndicated as a Saturday morning western- at leasrt that's what it was by the time I saw it.

Saturday morning westerns were a huge genre back then. Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, Sky King, Lawman, Bat Masterson, Kit Carson, Annie Oakley, the Texas Rangers, Hopalong Cassidy are just some off the top of my head.

Oh-and Rin Tin Tin

Sudo,

Are you kidding? Not only do I remember the show. I had the official "Wyatt Earp" holster and gun set, complete with shirt and vest! I think I wore that set out just acting out along with the show. I was a dedicated fan...

One of the biggest disillusionments of my life came along when I read a short bio. of Mr. Earp in my dad's "TRUE" magazine a year or two after the show ended. Gosh, I thought he was one of the good guys!

This is a song I've been listening to like a mental patient (I like to think of it as an 'mp3' song, since I will listen to it at LEAST three times in a row :biglaugh:) It's a song the artist hasn't done in public for about 30 years, so perhaps it qualifies for nostalgia.

HERE!

(take note, it says bOsm, not bDsm, :biglaugh:)

Edited by Sushi

Sushi,

Thank you for sharing your song with us.

I loved your mental patient :confused: analogy... i feel like that about music most days.

Mr. Browne has such a rich longing in his voice and music... you gotta love that!

I often refer to myself as a music junkie :spy:

Why does he chose to not perform this song?

And I didn't get the BOSM thingy? :blink:

Edited by A la prochaine

Yeah, he's kinda the male Carole King. :biglaugh:

Don't know why he hasn't sung it in that long. I Googled some of the lyrics and got only 112 hits. 111 referring to the song. But there was one cached site where there was a poem by Jacquelyn Helton, a woman who died at the age of 20 with bone cancer. I don't know if he met her or not, but it would seem likely he has at least heard of her.

Cath, Sushi asked me to post this for him.

Oh how sad they sound the songs the queen must sing of dying

A prisoner upon her throne, the melancholy sighing

If she could see her mirror now

She would be free of those who bow and

Scrape the ground beneath her feet

Silently she walks among them dying midnight roses

Watches as each moment goes that never really knows her

And so it seems she doesn't care

If she has dreams of no one there

Within the shadows of her room

But all my frozen words agree, and say it's time to

Call back all the birds I sent to

Fly behind her castle walls, and I'm

Weary of the nights I've seen

Inside these empty halls

Wooden lady turn and turn among my weary secrets

And wave within the hours past and other empty pockets

Maybe we've found what we have lost

When we've unwound so many crossed and tangled misunderstandings;

But all my frozen words agree and say it's time to

Call back all the birds I sent to

Fly behind her castle walls, and I'm

Weary of the nights I've seen

Inside these empty halls

Edited by Abigail

Oh my! Sushi and Abi, what a song. Thank you Abi because I could not find those words which seemed so odd to me. What a song....can we talk about it a little bit....it seems so haunting of soul...or is it me right now? And last night in chat alone with the two of you was so sweet for me. :wub:

Actually last night in chat was just flat out wonderful!

Cath, it sounds like one Jerry and Co. might have had something to do with. :biglaugh:

You're funny!

It is cool in my are right now but the sun is out and the clouds are fluffy and I don't have to go into the office and the birds are chirping and I could go on......

And that is a good thing. :)

in my arearea...duh

I need to be away for a little bit but wanted to say thanks you two for that song and I really would love input on it when you can. Or anyone if they know because I just can't seem to get to that stuff on this song.

Here is a theme of something I loved as a child because it made the thought of it being possible a real thrill for me I do recall. Enjoy the music itself albeit short because I certainly did. HERE

PS....SaintGeorge, although I feel you did well to recover yourself your original approach could have been taken to heart by someone new at this posting of songs. It does take quite a bit more than any other application I have used here on the board. So I wanted you to know that I do appreciate what you had to say and also what Sudo and Rick replied. And I will have Rick walk me thru the part of the program not mastered so I can convert my mp3 or CD's to wav files. If a link of mine is a mp3 I will announce it while posting it. And I do enjoy your being here and the reason why as well. It is why the thread is titled.

Bye again y'all for a bit.

And I didn't get the BOSM thingy? :blink:

Sorry, I should have said the song is called The Birds of Saint Mark's.

Down here in the states, we have people who are into tying people up for sensual pleasure. It stands for Bondage/Discipline SadoMasochism. Perhaps you have another name for it in the Great White North, eh? :biglaugh:

Edited by Sushi

When I think of mental patients, the only song that comes to mind is this classic:

Oldie

The flip side to that song was the same song in reverse:

Eidlo

Just in case the links don't work, here's the webpage where I found them:

Napoleon XIV and variations

George

P.S. They're mp3 files, but they come right up in Windows Media Player (maybe as streaming audio?).

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

One for the ladies..

It seems like we're always posting from TV shows that mostly little boys watched, am I right? Well, here's one that mostly little GIRLS watched. Yeah, I watched it some but it really wasn't my thing.. the TV must have been tuned to that station and I had no choice but to watch. Either watch TV or do homework. What would YOU have done?

Click HERE! and see if you know it. What? It doesn't sound familiar? This was a big TV show in the middle 1960's folks. Though the male lead died of lung cancer some years back the female lead is still amongst us. :eusa_clap:

sudo