The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hullabaloo------Shindig(Host: Bobby Sherman?)--------Sadly most of those shows have been lost forever because it was common practise to record over previous shows in the name of economics. Kind of like when we recorded a disco album over the top of "The Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore" so we could reuse a 27 cent cassette tape. SIGH!

Sudo,

I actually sorta liked "Mr. Wizard". Well, sorta. I mean, I wasn't on the edge of my chair waiting for it to come on, but it beat "Fury" or "Sky King" by a mile. Did you know that Mr. Wizard just passed away a week or two ago?

And "Pee Wee" Herman always creeped me out, from the first time I saw the guy. There's something inherently unhealthy about that boy. Trust me on this one, STAY AWAY!

Sudo,

I actually sorta liked "Mr. Wizard". Well, sorta. I mean, I wasn't on the edge of my chair waiting for it to come on, but it beat "Fury" or "Sky King" by a mile. Did you know that Mr. Wizard just passed away a week or two ago?

And "Pee Wee" Herman always creeped me out, from the first time I saw the guy. There's something inherently unhealthy about that boy. Trust me on this one, STAY AWAY!

Well, I liked Fury and Sky King (and his niece Penny).

BTW, Pee Wee Herman's kid show is coming back on the Cartoon Network!!

Pee-Wee Herman's 'Playhouse' back on TV

I didn't really LIKE 'Sky King', (especially Penny), but always somehow watched it. It was sponsored by Nabisco, and I did like it when Sky King's plane turned into the Nabisco sign for some reason.

The show was big on pushing spoon size Shredded Wheat (which was a nice change from the big clunky biscuit) and I liked the 3 spacemen who rode flying spoons on the Shredded Wheat commercial. They even gave away miniature spacemen in the box that would fit on the end of your spoon.

All I remember about the show was Sky being a modern 'cowboy' in the sky, who had an annoying niece Penny, and endless flying scenes.

Don't mean to be hard on Penny, but I was much more taken with 'Annie Oakley'.

The original closing narration for this episode (as it appears in Richard Matheson's teleplay) reads: “This is one of the out-of-the-way places; until now, one of the unvisited places in our solar system—the planet Mars. Bleak. Wasted. Dying. But not quite dead yet.”

This is the only episode with only one person and no spoken dialogue at all; this is primarily performed in pantomime, as demonstrated by Agnes Moorehead.

The small ship is one of the miniatures of the saucer shaped United Planets Cruiser, used in the MGM film Forbidden Planet.

Some trivia about it. :)

Interesting. And I have to admit I use to watch the show. :blink:

No need to apologize chattingKathy (IMO)... I always liked Pee Wee's Playhouse...

Some folks did, some didn't... definitely an acquired taste... I liked that show as much (if not more) for all of the nitwit characters that were on it... it was a nice respite during my temporary sojourn back into cannibas...

I figger I can still be 'friends' with George even though he didn't like the little squirrel...

(oh... and Penny was hot! She made my little pre-teen hormones go crazy before I knew what they were!)

crashc1.jpg

Edited by Tom Strange