GreaseSpot Cafe

Jesus Christ and Earthquakes...

J0nny Ling0

Matthew 24:3,

And as he sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Verse 4,

And Jesus answered and said unto them, take heed that no man deceive you.

verse 5,

for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many..

verse 6,

And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

Verse 7,

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and their shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Verse 8,

And these are the beginnings of sorrows...

KJV

Sound familiar?

yeah, I hear it anytime there is a war or an earthquake. major wars seem to be every 20 years, and recently more often. Earthquakes a little more frequently. People hoped for the end times after the 1964 Alaska quake. and the Rat's island one in 65. Doesn't mean a thing until you hear the shouts in the air.

Meanwhile, may as well try to be kind and live peace.. ~HAP

" But it would be WAY COOL if that shout and that trumpet blast were just around the corner, no?"

This is an attitude I have just never understood, in or out of TWI. Personally, I am enjoying this life so much that I am really not at all looking forward to the next one. Que sera sera.

quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:

" But it would be WAY COOL if that shout and that trumpet blast were just around the corner, no?"

This is an attitude I have just never understood, in or out of TWI. Personally, I am enjoying this life so much that I am really not at all looking forward to the next one. Que sera sera.

Well, when you believe in afterlife and that's your goal, then getting it started with a flourish is something fun to look forward to.

Def,

I'm agree with most of what Abi is saying.

I'm busy with life now that its hard to comprehend the after life. I think of it as an after blessing of life. The attitude of twi was that we were working for the afterlife. That is where the servitude came from. The question of would you like to be blessed takes on a whole different form always thinking about the afterlife. I don't think that was God's intention for us.

Jonny, these signs have been showing for thousands of years. He may come in my life time but He may not. I would rather concentrate on the now.

I don't know why I think of this but I'm thinking 'Yeah, the grass is always greener on the other side.' I've always found in life that once you get on the other side it may be different but the grass is not greener.

I'm not trying to put down the second coming for sure. Its just not something that I dwell on 24 hours a day. I would rather put my thinking and effort on here and now.

And, well, with the amount of tremendous suffering in this old world to day, I personally look forward to the day when "that which is crooked shall be made straight", where the lion shall lay down with the lamb",

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away...." -Rev. 21:4

And to that day, I say, "Come quickly lord Jesus!"

Imagine it! No more ghastly mornings like 9/11, no more ghastly incidents like this devastating earthquake which when it is all said and done, will probably have killed well over 100,000 fellow humans. No more WW I's or II's, or a looming WW III, with nukes and all. No more pestilences like the Black Plague, leprosy, cholera, or today's major fear word disease, cancer. No more AIDS, MS, muscular distrophy, leukemia, heart attacks to fear, car wrecks, late night emergency room visits, calls by the police in the middle of the night when one is informed that a loved one was just killed, murdered, or raped. No more rapes, no more child molestations. No more posting of opinions on the Grease Spot Cafe, mine included!

No more of these things which have at worst, directly affected us, or at the least we are constantly hearing about all of the time. Yeah, it's hard to imagine to be sure, but Some Day, this will all come to pass, and man, will it be awesome in the true sense of the word.

I have an old friend who used to play electric guitar very well. He wrote a song called "Some Day". There were no words to it, but it was about the Hope of Christs' return, and when he played it with his band in a local bar, he just made that old git-tar weep, and we believers in the audience just knew what he was saying up there, and we all would have tears in our eyes as we thought of the possibility, no, the reality of what we would all share in for the rest of all eternity!

And so, if, what appears to be an accelleration of horrid world events is a harbinger of our lord Jesus Christs' Return, then hey, I can dig it!

For, "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed..."

I think the return will be kewl, but I'm not pining away waiting for it and I honestly don't spend much time thinking about it. It's going to happen when it's going to happen. In the meantime I'm enjoying my life (for the most part) and enjoying my family and everyday things so much that I don't look for it or try to recognize things that might fulfill prophecy - too many have done that and been wrong.

The world isn't perfect and it will be nice when all the yucky stuff goes away, but I just don't foresee it happening in my time. If it does - kewl - but I'm not holding my breath.

I TOTALLY agree!!!

Looking forward to the return, but hardly think of it. Life is too wonderful to live anywhere but in the present.

When the earthquake happened, Steve and I wondered how long it would take before the "end of the world" prophets showed up. What a pathetic waste of time when our time could be MUCH better used praying for and/or helping the poor people brutalized by this tragedy.

"Imagine it! No more ghastly mornings like 9/11, no more ghastly incidents like this devastating earthquake which when it is all said and done, will probably have killed well over 100,000 fellow humans. No more WW I's or II's, or a looming WW III, with nukes and all. No more pestilences like the Black Plague, leprosy, cholera, or today's major fear word disease, cancer. No more AIDS, MS, muscular distrophy, leukemia, heart attacks to fear, car wrecks, late night emergency room visits, calls by the police in the middle of the night when one is informed that a loved one was just killed, murdered, or raped. No more rapes, no more child molestations. "

I would love to see an end to those things as well. I also think it is within the scope of humanity to bring an end to most of them.

I also think, no more Christmas mornings watching my children's faces light up as they open their presents. No more afternoons watching them figure out how to balance on ice skates and eventually succeed. No more holding hands with my 1000Names or cuddling with him on the couch. Nope, I'm just not ready to give those things up yet.

Def,

"Well, when you believe in afterlife and that's your goal, then getting it started with a flourish is something fun to look forward to."

I do believe in an afterlife, but it is not my goal. Right now my goal is to make the most of the life I have been given right here and now.

I think one of the problems with modern Christianity is that at some point, someobody dreamed up the concept of "The Rapture", which doesn't even exist in the Bible, and people form doomsday religious groups like the 7th Day Adventists and take it all way too far. Even looking at what is in the Bible, there was talk about the end of times, but it was never the focus of Jesus, Peter, or Paul as far as I can tell. Paul also was pretty specific that some of the Christians who were alive at the time would not die and instead Jesus would take them. He advised people to not get married so they could hurry and focus on spreading their religion, for example.

Plus, people focus so much on Revelations as being some great mystery, when it's in fact just a coded writing about how bad the Roman Empire was, and how they were supposedly going to pay.

quote:
Originally posted by Mister P-Mosh:

I think one of the problems with modern Christianity is that at some point, someobody dreamed up the concept of "The Rapture", which doesn't even exist in the Bible

Then what is being discussed in I Thessalonians 4 when "the dead in Christ shall rise"...and those that area live and remain meet the lord on the air?

Back in the 60's and 70's prophet's of doom were standing on soap boxes at every corner proclaiming "the end is near". Some found a few followers and convinced them to sell everything and go to a mountain top and wait for the end.

When they finally ran out of breath, the message moved inside to the studio of the televangalist, where it seems to still be enjoying much success.

I will venture to say within the next 10 years, when people realize they are still waking up each morning and going to work, still coming home and letting the dog out, still turning on the news and hear 'of wars and rumors of war', this current round of the 'eminent return' will die a quiet death.

The only thing we can be sure of is it will be replaced with something just as compelling and riviting, to ensure a continuous flow of cash into the studio.

quote:
Matthew 24:3,

And as he sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Verse 4,

And Jesus answered and said unto them, take heed that no man deceive you.

verse 5,

for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many..

verse 6,

And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

Verse 7,

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and their shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Verse 8,

And these are the beginnings of sorrows...

KJV

Sound familiar?

yeah, uhum~~~ is there a place we can meet? There is some vital info concerning the anti christ before I am raptured ascended master~~~

quote:
Originally posted by Oakspear:

Then what is being discussed in I Thessalonians 4 when "the dead in Christ shall rise"...and those that area live and remain meet the lord on the air?

Perhaps the dead in Christ have already risen???

Or perhaps Paul was using pop-psychology of the day to comfort the Thessalonians. After all, he ended that speech with "comfort one another with these words".

quote:
Orignally posted by Tom Strange:

DUDE! That'd be me cruising by in the mothership! ...bringing you on board for a few beers!

Tom, make mine a Coors Extra Gold icon_biggrin.gif:D-->