GreaseSpot Cafe

How many of you think you met E.T.?

Ham

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. H. I'm not ex Way, however, I'm a regular in some forums and chat. I have never seen one and I do believe they exist. Why would this planet have the only lifeforms? The other planets in our solar system are not hospitable to living things as we know them. I've always thought it strange that people wouldn't believe there could be life somewhere else.

As for the fun da MENTALIST'S...I'd like to think we have fun..no matter what we believe and that we can respect each other's differences. I spelled fun differenty on purpose.

No -- I never met ET. You are talking about Ernest Tubb, the country singer -- aren't you? icon_wink.gif;)-->

I remember when ET (the movie) came out, and I saw it advertised on the movie theater's marquis. When I saw ET (on the marquis), and I thought -- "cool -- they finally have a movie starring Ernest Tubb".

Coupla of us were sharing *dumb moments*, at a jam session once several years ago, and when I mentioned this story to them -- another guy said that when Karaoke (sp?) first came out -- he saw at various bars posters, and ads saying - "Karaoke here tonight", and he wondered how the same *band Karaoke* could be playing at all those places, all on the same evening! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

ET RULES!! icon_smile.gif:)-->

dmiller said: another guy said that when Karaoke first came out -- he saw at various bars posters, and ads saying - "Karaoke here tonight", and he wondered how the same *band Karaoke* could be playing at all those places, all on the same evening!

Living in a small town - 400 people - the local musician stirred it all up by naming his band - Topless Waitress - so the sign at the bar would read "Friday Night - Topless Waitress"... Maine humor I guess...

When age 10-ish camping with the Girl Scouts, sleeping under the stars with another gs and the troop leader, we all saw an erratically flying, very fast, changing directions and extremely bright light. The three of us watched it for about five minutes. The troop leader said it was an airplane. I thought - I am kid but I am not stupid, that is NO airplane.

I have NO idea what is was. If it was military they have changed all the laws of propulsion.

Must admit, I dont believe in et stuff. But I saw something I still have no explanation for. But I dont lose any sleep over it. I dont understand tax law either.

Cow Girl- first I ever saw of that. Convinces me! But McDonald's- I always thought they had one on every corner, but whew... Galen, I AM an electonics tech, heh heh.. funny, my mother once said something about how when I was younger I seemed to be so much "different"..

quote:
Originally posted by Daggoo:

dmiller said: another guy said that when Karaoke first came out -- he saw at various bars posters, and ads saying - "Karaoke here tonight", and he wondered how the same *band Karaoke* could be playing at all those places, all on the same evening!

I know the feeling. I started noticing that a lot of Mexican restaurants were named "Desayuna", and there were an awful lot of hispanic movies starring "Pelicula".

Actually, now that I remember it, in one of my more lucid moments, about two years ago late in the afternoon, I did see an object in the sky. Shiny dot, it moved from horizon to horizon in a matter of a several seconds. I do not think it was a plane, no vapor trail behind it. No idea what it was- could have been a satellite- but I don't know if they move that fast. Suppose they could. At least it did not stop, park, and ET come out and say hello..

Actually Mr. H that probably was the space station. It moves across the sky fairly fast.

OK I guess I'll jion in. Once a month I go to a tactical carbine shot. Normaly there is a mixture of police officers, swat guys, military, ex military, gun freaks (ME), and a few survivalists(kind of strange), and lastly ET (well that would explain the looks). We couldnt figure out gender, nationality, or even if it was human ( didnt shoot very good either).

I've seen my share of weird things in the sky. Especially in the pitch blackness of some of the camping I did in New Mexico.

Some were different colors, some moved, some were stationary (thoe were the weirdest). I did chalk these up to some kinds of military things since we were close enough to White Sands and Los Alamose to make it possible.

I guess some of you have figured out by now that I am a science buff....I watch TLC, the science channel, national geographic, pbs....anything like that because this planet and everything on it still fascinates me...even now.

In recent times, they have discovered some living organisms along the sea floor right next to the vents creating new rock where the sea floor is expanding in the mid-Atlantic. These are not "life as we know it" based on oxygen and carbon...but instead based on sulfur.

They withstand tremendous pressures being so deep...and also heat...boiling or thereabouts. It's not just one or two critters, but whole ecosystems.

Since I've seen this and I'm satisfied that it's not fake stuff....I am forced to consider that since this is the most inhospitable place on our planet...and living things exist there, in fact thrive.....then is would be foolish to believe that this is the only planet in the universe which contains living beings, organisms, whatever you want to call them.

To my mind, this does not make God any less wonderful - - but, in fact increases my awe. I hope you can make sanse out of my words because I don't know any other way to say it.

Whether these things have spirit however, is a whole different animal.

I dunno, Mr. H. I don't discount the possibility as I do believe in angels and the spirit realm.

This thread reminds me of the scene in "What the Bleep" about some natives who couldn't figure out why there ripples and waves in the water and didn't see the British ships coming to shore because they had never seen anything like that before. (I'm sure I'm not explaining this right, sorry)

Just because we haven't seen something doesn't mean it's not there.

Krysillis, I remember watching that also. One thing that scientists seem to agree on is that for life to exist, there has to be an environment that has water- and it has to be liquid. With few exceptions, anywhere you look on our planet, where there is water, there is life. I don't know about the dead sea- just may be too salty.

I saw another video recently, forget the name of the thing.. but they were interviewing a large handful of the scientists at NASA. They did not rebut the suggestion of life elsewhere, but the essence of it was that the world we are on is not quite as ordinary as Carl Sagan suggested.

I think the most interesting point was that we are situated precisely in a place that would stimulate intellectual development. Being situated outside of one of the spiral arms of our galaxy gives us a nice clear view of the creation. Most other places in the galaxy are filled up with dust and junk that impair the view of the universe. Toward the center of the galaxy, they pretty much concurred that conditions were just too inhospitable.

The other point made was that our planet is on a narrow ring that would allow conditions hospitable for life.

In my opinion, if God did not want man to enjoy and study his creation, He picked the wrong place to put him.

Same here. I think I would have back in days I spent in da ministry. After leaving, at first, I had to make myself sit and seriously evaluate what people had to say that may not agree with my beliefs. But I am not gullible either.. did that once already.

I was driving through Oklahoma in 1979 and saw three disc like objects hovering in the sky all side by side, each with three lights on them...they just sat there. They were so low that at first I thought they were suspended from the ground...as I drove closer, I could see nothing underneath them supporting them...I pulled off to the side of the road when I got upon them and sat there and stared at them...they sat motionless and I could hear no engine sounds or any signs of HOW they were staying in the air...I watched them for about 5 minutes and suddenly one of them (the one on the far right) started spinning end over end, like a coin being flipped...It then shot up and covered the entire skyline in about 3 seconds and was gone from sight. The other two remained where they were...I sat there for another 3 or 4 minutes and then drove off...No, I was not taking drugs and yes, there was a witness with me who saw the same things.