GreaseSpot Cafe

What if Harvey Platig became the next President of the TWI

fortunateone

Eagle,

Friends of mine were apprentice corps in his limb some time ago. They became REALLY weird while there. The husband became very harsh and the wife started wearing enough make-up to make Tammy Faye Baker blush. (No pun intended) Not sure I can pin that one on Harve though. Just happened in his limb. However, the corps do tend to mimic their MOGs.

On the upside, I did meet him once at his house while he was still on the field and he was very gracious to me. That's my only first-hand contact with the man.

JT

quote:
Originally posted by vickles:

Joe C. was my either bc or lc (don't remember which since it was many moons ago) like in '74,

Vickles,

Do you remember what he was like as a person? I knew him at HQ probably just after that. My impression was he was like a droid. No imagination, always played by the rules, wasn't intentionally harmful to people, but didn't understand people's emotions either (which is often how a leader hurts people).

2 incidents come to mind.

#1 When the way was deciding to go with Betamax or VHS for its PFAL series on the field, his analysis showed that Betamax was technically superior and so they went that way. He was correct. But he ignored the fact that the world was going with VHS which meant there would be more VHS machines on the field. Thus there was always a hassle to get equipment to run classes.

#2 He had been director of a lot of way videos. They were very stilted. One time I saw a new one (can't remember the name) but the directing showed a bit more warmth and feeling. I complimented Joe on this thinking he had matured in his craft, but it turned out it was directed by someone else. (The brother of Sunesis if I'm not mistaken - but that's another topic.)

From the way's point of view, Joe would be an ideal president. But I doubt if any changes will be made anytime soon.

A question that comes to mind about Harvey is whether his personality has become enough like the big forehead to become forehead #2. Is Harvey a real Martindale wannabe being groomed to take over with the same personality traits?

Edited by pjroberge

3 cents, at that time I was just a lowly twigite. My opinion of joe and linda as a teen at that time-I thought they were pretty nice.

But, I was only a teen at that time.

I liked him when he was Harvey. He was cool with me at that time. But I did know that he got involved with the inner circle crap with "PL" and after that he became more waybotic.

Shame he had such potential to be a great human being. Ya know, a regular good guy.

I think you all would have liked him "back in the day."

The only time I remember Harve was at Sunday Night Services doing the introduction:

"I'm Harve Platig. Welcome to the beautiful Victor Paul Wierwille Word Over The World Auditorium."

A mouthful, I might add. But he pulled it off well.

Wow

I can always count on you guys to spice it up.

Great wit and insight into this pre-presidential thread.

Harvey has abilty to do the right things but

he prefers to have other people speak his plans into the air for the control of others.

His bad advice,manipulation and pyschotrauma has injured many. He really thinned TWI roll call

with his harsh judgements and edicts on the lives of others. As if his life and family is

perfect.

It is unlikely he will lighten up and make TWI

a more humane place to fellowship.

Now it is weak boring and spiritually limp.

The Way Magazines of 2003-04 have been glossy but WEAK.

BUT I will put him on my prayer list.

Sweet forgiveness...with a watchful expectation.

Get out now

I knew Harve when he first got in TWI in Maryland and for years after that. I remember him as a wonderful man. He was always naturally kind to me and others. I remember one time I was riding my motorcycle in New Knoxville, there was a problem, he stopped, took me to his house and fixed it.

He was always a caring, giving, warm person who truly did love God. I knew him before TWI II and III.

I know he started getting into looking for "occasions against the Philistines" and whatnot - weirding out a little.

I think anyone who has stayed in that environment has gone off the deep end. It will be very interesting to hear from some of these top hot dogs when they leave TWI and have had a couple of years to reflect and get back to "normal."

Sunesis said:

quote:
I think anyone who has stayed in that environment has gone off the deep end.
Sunesis, that's exactly what I fear (yes fear) has happened to my sister and brother in law. Haven't seen them in almost three or four years though... they don't come around here anymore... they used to visit once or twice a year...

• 5 years later...