GreaseSpot Cafe

the faith of Naaman

Kit Sober

when praying around the death of a recently deceased beloved of God and of many of the denizens of Greasespot Cafe, it came to me that Naaman received his healing, not through the benevolence of Gehazi's ministry but his own faith.

Gehazi received his judgment, as I hope to see vpw receive his.

It appears to me that many of the blessings of twi that we received were not due to the greatness of vpw's ministry but to the faith of the truly faithful (faithful according to God's viewpoint, not twi's).

Hopefully,

Kit

Kit Sober,

You wrote:

"when praying around the death of a recently deceased beloved of God and of many of the denizens of Greasespot Cafe, it came to me that Naaman received his healing, not through the benevolence of Gehazi's ministry but his own faith.

"Gehazi received his judgment, as I hope to see vpw receive his.

"It appears to me that many of the blessings of twi that we received were not due to the greatness of vpw's ministry but to the faith of the truly faithful (faithful according to God's viewpoint, not twi's)."

Please know that I agree with this, probably more than would be expected of me here.

I have OFTEN posted to this effect.

I know that God will be just in His judgement of VPW, and consider all things, and not merely the things that might stand out in our minds.

As for us, a postal worker does not need to be wealthy to deliver a valid million dollar check into our hands; it's the signature on the check that matters, not the delivery agent.

God had a delivery man bring us words that helped us more accurately believe God's promises, and God honored our believing in those His promises. The fate of the delivery man is a side issue, that need concern us less and less, the more we learn His, God's promises.

Quote:

Kit:

Gehazi received his judgment, as I hope to see vpw receive his

Revenge, or at least some kind of 'Godly Punishment' in the future, seems to be a big part of some Christian's attitude.

What if VPW actually was sorry for the wrongs he had committed before he died, and God forgave him, like the bible says He will?

What if, when it comes time for the judgments to be meted out, and VPW and any other evil doers who have repented, don't get hell fire, 50 lashes, or their hands slapped, will you be disappointed?

What if God gives them a slap on the back and says "good job my good and faithful servant, come on it".

What if someone you thought their rewards should have been taken away for all the evil they had done, actually end up with more rewards or a higher position than you? Will you rebel against God, or rejoice and celebrate their life and be content?

quote:
What if someone you thought their rewards should have been taken away for all the evil they had done, actually end up with more rewards or a higher position than you? Will you rebel against God, or rejoice and celebrate their life and be content?

Now why would a just god reward someone like VPW with more rewards and all, even given the deliberate abuses that VPW heaped upon people with such callousness?

Or is that one of those questions that should not even be considered?

I don't think it falls into one of those things that we shouldn't even consider.

Igotout's questions are very pertinent. I know you didn't ask me, John, but I will put forth an answer anyway. [old bags like me just have to chime in.....]

I believe that we will not have any of those desires, for we shall be transformed in all ways....and according to Paul, now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face and we shall know all things.

There is a sword that is able to separate between the bones and the marrow. I cannot understand how that can be done, but I believe the One who owns that sword knows what he's doing.

I don't get nearly as angry anymore since I've come to think things more often in that light.

Oldiesman,

I have RC in my background too, but StayedTooLong's comment looks pretty right on to me. Is it possible you mis-read that post?

I don't think the revenge theme was being endorsed, just documented as existing in SOME Christians' minds, which could include RCs, but not exclusively.

It also seems to be in StayedTooLong's post that this unfortunate longing for revenge is noted as temporary, giving way to love in the end.

If I'm reading it correctly, StayedTooLong is saying things here that you have often posted to. Ditto for Kit Sober's originating post. I am hoping you chime in on that, because she seems also to be in great harmony with things I've thought were your position all along.

This thread, as Kit started it, looks like an excellent effort in separating the baby from the bath water. The VPW worship that went way overboard, way past the double honor that is Biblicaly correct, was definately bathwater and not of God. A very large amount of the information that was given to us was of God. To the extent we believed it, believed the right stuff, we got real blessed, just like Naaman.

I see the longings for revenge as being totally calmed when we clearly see God's brilliance in His Son, and as we see clearly how much God forgave US for.

My point is, if some people are wronged by another, they look to the future judgement for those wrongs to be made right. They believe God will punish those who have harmed them or their loved ones when time is over, and then all will be okay. Like looking forward to the future with vegence and revenge. This belief seems to bring a sense of calming or satisfaction to the hurt party.

Oldiesman I am referring to Kit Sober's statement:

"Gehazi received his judgment, as I hope to see vpw receive his".

To me this indicates she is looking forward to a time when VPW will be judged and she will be present. Or at least have knowledge of the judging.

She is looking forward now to that time in the future, she is anticipating it.

What if the person who did the wrong (VPW in this case) had asked God for forgiveness and received it, will the wronged person be disappointed because God has not meted out punishment?

Interestin', Kit. Thanks. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Judgment is a topic I've been perusing of late, not the end-of-the-universe judge-THIS! kind of judgment but just the concept and nuances. I always trip (as the kids say) on Jesus's words on Matth. 5:45 - that the rain falling on the unjust and evil peeps getting the same sun-day as good peeps is a result of God's love. And of course He contrasts the easy-lovin' of those we like with the idea of loving those we don't like. Be like our Father in heaven and do the dew unto others, even your enemies.

None of which foregoes judgment or justice of course. But I'm continually amazed at how flipped-out-gone-daddy-o the "love of God" is.

"Why do good things happen to bad people", I ask??!! Because God made it that way.

I'm still trying to understand it. I try to embrace it, sometimes like a guy flying off a cliff with both arms out. That's what it feels like sometimes.

GarthP:

Now why would a just god reward someone like VPW with more rewards and all, even given the deliberate abuses that VPW heaped upon people with such callousness?

You or I have no idea if or when VPW repented. If he did, we don't know what he did with his life afterwards for God. Maybe he was a model Christian.

I don't know what your belief on prophecy is, or your opinion of Rev Mal George as a prophet, but at VPW's funeral as he prophesied, he said "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased".

If you don't believe in prophecy or that Rev George is a prophet then you will discard the above and maybe not expect much for VPW at judgment time.

If you do believe in prophecy and Rev Mal George as a prophet, you have to give it some consideration when wondering if VPW will be have some rewards coning at the bema.

Since God is a just God and not an enabler, I think it goes beyond the superficial "he's forgiven by God so you should forgive him"

There ARE results, ramifications, consequences linked with unhealthy action (i.e. sin for you bible thumpers).

In other words...if you do something that hurts someone....in any way....if God has the depth and understanding to him that his nature suggests, then the one committing the wrong does not sweep it under the rug just cause he/she is forgiven.

If he/she is truly sorry (as in repentence) then the actions would carry through past the one dimensional ("gee, I'm sorry God"..."ok, you're forgiven son/daughter")

And into the "I messed up...I need to set this right." and then the action follows.

It's MORE than "ok, I'm forgiven by God...the people I hurt don't matter a damn"

It HAS to be more than that...to be truly forgiven by God. (in my opinion)

Anything less is Brady Bunch and cartoon depth religion.

quote:
I don't know what your belief on prophecy is, or your opinion of Rev Mal George as a prophet, but at VPW's funeral as he prophesied, he said "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased".

If you don't believe in prophecy or that Rev George is a prophet then you will discard the above and maybe not expect much for VPW at judgment time.

If you do believe in prophecy and Rev Mal George as a prophet, you have to give it some consideration when wondering if VPW will be have some rewards coning at the bema.

Stayed,

You're correct on the first guess; I don't believe in prophecy, nor did I know, nor do I believe in Mal George's supposed office as a prophet, surely not one who's ((cough)) 'authority' transcends ethics and decency. And I definitely don't believe that his "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased" 'prophecy' (read 'clap trap') about Wierwille has any weight or authority to it whatsoever.

Particularly concerning how Wierwille's life turned out.

Oh and by the way, if George did turn out to be a prophet, how do you know that the utterance that he gave was 'right on'? Or do you just presume that what he said was, uhh, 'god breathed'?

Any other questions? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Garth:

Any other questions?

And you are whom? The final authority? The Vicar? The MOG of Greasespot? The source from whom all knowledge and truth eminates?

Hey nobody said you had to believe anything so what is your problem? Maybe your thong is riding up a little high today?

You don't believe in prophecy or that Mal George is a prophet----GREAT!! (you can fast forward to the next forum). I was speaking to those who do.

If someone believes in prophecy and that Mal George is a prophet (again I know this does not apply to you Garth), then they have to consider his prophecy at VPW's funeral when evaluating whether he will be receiving rewards at the bema. If I told my son I was well pleased with him, you can bet I would not be holding much back from him.

How does anyone know if a prophet's message is 'right on' or 'god breathed'? First you have to believe in prophecy and prophets (which I know does not apply to you Garth). But if someone does, they will have developed some kind of system to evaluate the authenticity of the messager an their message.

If after consideration they believe Mal George is an authentic prophet who speaks for God, his message has to pack some weight in this matter.

We read what horrible things Paul, David, and others in the bible did and hold them up as examples of God's forgiveness. We preach that if God can forgive all the rotten things they did, surely he will forgive you and me our mistakes.. We then feel a great burden lifted from ourselves because we know God has forgiven us.

Well doesn't Wierwille, the board of trustees, and anyone else in TWI who has wronged us deserve the same forgiveness?

What if it was you or I in TWI who were the evil doers? I'm sure there must be a few in here who were part of the problem?

As a twig coordinator I came down pretty hard on some folks because they were hanging out with unbelievers, and told them to seperate themselves from their friends. They told me to "shove it" and left, cursing the day we had met.

Should God forgive me? Or should they be looking forward to the day when God will unleash his mighty arm and punish me? Shouldn't I be able to look to God's forgiveness also?

The Pope has spoken openly about forgiving his would be killer. I saw a woman on tv plead for the life of her son's killer because she had forgiven him.

Have they ascended to a level some of us (myself included) have not yet risen to? Or are they wrong and it should be "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth"? Or somewhere in between?

I really don't know the answer to this question of forgiveness, but don't see how God can discriminate in passing it out, by making it conditional upon someone else looking forward to that person be judged. I certainly hope God is not going to punish me because someone I have wronged, is looking forward to the day, as Kit Sober is, of "Gehazi received his judgment, as I hope to see vpw receive his".

Gehazi was simply the servant of Elisha, under whose ministry, if you would call it that, Naaman was healed. Gehazi, as far as I can tell, was not even involved indirectly in ministering the healing, but came into the picture after the event. Elisha at one point sent "a messenger" to Naaman with the instructions to dip in the Jordan seven times. Then, after Naaman followed those instructions (needing prodding from his own servants), he was healed and returned to Elisha. After Elisha sent Naaman on his way, then Gehazi takes off after Naaman to grab what he thinks is his chunk of the pie.

What could have raised eyebrows is Elisha's message to the King of Israel...after the King of Syria had sent the message asking the King of Israel to heal Naaman...saying "Let him come now to me, and he shall know that there is a prophet in Israel." Here is someone claiming to be the man of God. But he backed it up pretty well.

I do think it was Naaman's faith that got him the healing; after his own servants set him straight at least. But Elisha's ministering sure didn't hurt.

Stayed WAY Too Long,

Uhh well, first off, you DID ask me about what my belief on prophecy or Mel George being a prophet is, so please spare me the "well, who asked YOU Mr. MOG" thong-up-your-arse song-and-dance, ok?

Also, look at, and consider, the words "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased." (Which biblically, only referred to Jesus Christ now, doesn't it?) Since you did ask "How does anyone know if a prophet's message is 'right on' or 'god breathed'?", well then, wouldn't it stand to reason that his prophetic words would be in accordance with truth? With reality? And when you consider how VPW abused (seriously abused) his office/ministry in so many ways, if those words were in accordance with reality, that would communicate the idea that God was pleased with that kind of behavior now, wouldn't it? ... Hhmmmm?

And don't you think that there needs to be something more to a godly walk than this idea of 'well, if he (Mal George) is a prophet then is words must carry some weight', without even making the attempt to think about the message that he gave, and the truthfulness and morality behind them? And this last point I address to those who believe that Mal George was a prophet (few as they may be).

So chill. icon_cool.gif

Garth as I stated at least three times because of your unbelief in prophecy, you are not going to believe in the prophecy of Mal George. To me that should end the discussion. You have every right to disagree with me and I respect that right. I have, by the same token, every right to disagree with you.

We don't agree so let in go.

Belle:

What about - you reap what you sow?

I believe whole heartily with this concept.

My postings have to do with the possibility that VPW repented before he died. If you believe in prophecy and that Mal George is a prophet, his prophecy seems to indicate repentence. I can not imagine God being pleased with him if he did not repent.

If you reject Mal George as a prophet, or if you question the prophecy he gave, then you may or may not believe Wierwille repented.

Thanks Kit,

I guess I take comfort in the fact that every hidden thing will be revealed and the crooked ways will be straightened.

Regarding the Mal George prophecy...Isn't God pleased with all His children just like a parent looks past the dirty diapers, tantrums, back talk, notes from the teacher etc. to love and adore the child for the wonderful blessing that he/she is without merit. The dirty diapers et. al. will be handled as a side matter not as a matter of central focus.