GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

hmmmm

Ive seen this movie before

2 down with 3 to go... could happen

Where they are already both already in, I hope neither team does anything stupid, or gets anyone hurt in the process... It would be nice to win the division but whether either team does or doesnt--- next weeks games are more important.

and.... Not for any particular reason--I just like this picture of Manny..

capt.f93fabe88dd1419cb609f0d24ae1c0b8.dodgers_padres_baseball_cali113.jpg

If the Rockies sweep the Dodgers and win the division, it will be a blow to LA, since they led the league, and all of baseball, for most of the year. The way they're playing does not bode well for the playoffs. Don't get me started on Manny. I expect him to sleepwalk at times-but that time is long past. He came to LA in a display of hitting like I've never seen before. It continued into this season until the drug suspension. He hasn't been anywhere near the same player since then. I'm not blaming the lack of drugs so much as his mental state. He had LA wrapped around his finger, and now plays like he doesn't care. When Manny doesn't hit, the teams fundamental weaknesses are exposed-mainly that they're mostly young players that are talented, but need to mature. I'd be playing Juan Pierre every day, and sitting Kemp or Manny, just to get him in the game.

The playoffs are the 'second season'. Anything can happen. It's like the end of spring training, when the slate is wiped clean once the season starts.

Keeping my fingers crossed for those Twinkies. . . .still mathematically possible and the White Sox plan to give Detroit all they have got. . . . Minnesota plays Kansas City at the Dome so we will see.

I am still perplexed by the whole drama that unfolded yesterday with Detroit and Minnesota. . . . Jose Mijares hit Everett with a pitch because he got on base twice?? So, the Detroit pitcher came back and hit Delmon Young with a pitch. . . .and the Twins are NOT upset with the Tigers, but with their own pitcher. . . .I kinda get it. . . . but not really. . . . I can see reprimanding the kid Mijares, but Detroit get's a pass by Minnesota?? They did what they had to???

Now, I live in the land of Pedro knocking down old men and Yankees players going after Boston FANS, so to me it all seemed kind of strange. This baseball code of honor. . . . . must be a midwestern thing? I can see telling your pitcher. . . . bad move. . . . but, being upset with him and telling Detroit it is okay. . . . it was like Delmon Young was a martyr for the payback.

Pretty interesting anyway. Like letting someone take a swing at you because your family insulted theirs?

I don't get it either, but I doubt it's a midwestern thing, given that most of the players probably know little about the midwest outside of the ballpark.

This is a fun and frustrating time of year. As I've groused about too often, I'm tired of the winning and losing wars, and all the strife that goes with it. I've become a laid back old man, looking to relieve stress in my life.

Of course, I'll be 12 again if the Yankees pull it out.

I don't get it either, but I doubt it's a midwestern thing, given that most of the players probably know little about the midwest outside of the ballpark.

This is a fun and frustrating time of year. As I've groused about too often, I'm tired of the winning and losing wars, and all the strife that goes with it. I've become a laid back old man, looking to relieve stress in my life.

Of course, I'll be 12 again if the Yankees pull it out.

Yankees are due, so it wouldn't ruffle my Boston feathers too much. :) I would have a smile for your happiness.

Both teams got fined for the Tigers/Twins incident. . . . just bad sportsmanship all around. Now, the Twins won last night. . . . Detroit lost. . . . the saga continues. . . . would not surprise me if it came to a one game playoff. . . . but, that would be Mon and the Vikings play at the Dome so, it would have to either be played at Detroit or wait til Tues. We will see. . . .

Ive been 12 since 2004..

:)

We have an off day before the season begins--good luck everyone

meanwhile

Heres Gar Ryness: Great American :P

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPakL5On3Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPakL5On3Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPakL5On3Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

and what else could be better for an off day than some footage of Rogers Hornsby. Anybody who hits .424 deserves to get remembered once in awhile.

Footage Of Rogers Hornsby

Edited by mstar1

That was one exciting playoff game between the Twins-Tigers. I've always been kind of a 'closet' Twins fan, and like the way the team and organization operates. I'm also happy the Yankees don't have to face Verlander now, but I am certainly not assuming they'll beat the Twins.

I've got so much going on in my 'real life', that I'm not sure how much time and passion is left for the playoffs-but here we go.

To me the Twins-Tigers was THE game of the year (so far :wink2: ), --a great game to watch. Beautiful to watch, exciting, meaningful----It has to be tough playing an incredibly emotional game like that, then flying halfway across the country to face a rested Sabathia the very next day. we will see what they have left....

As much as I'd like to see the Twins be the dream team of the year, I really dont know if they can keep the momentum theyve built up against the NYY's....

Its gotta be crazy being on the Yanks. I was reading the NY papers today and as usual nothing short of a WS win will do..."Win one for the Boss" and all that type of hoopla.

Every team wants to win, to me that added pressure cant help.

we will see--we will see

I don't usually frequent this forum, but I just HAD to see what folks here were saying about the Twins after yesterdays win over the Tigers. :)

What a game, eh? :beer: For two nights in a row, the Dome rocked with full capacity crowds to see the Vikings on Monday, and the Twins on Tuesday.

Worldwide viewing of the Viking/ Packer game on ESPN was 21.8 million folks watching Brett work against his former team of 15 years.

By doing so, he became the first quarterback in history to beat all 32 NFL teams. Anticipation of that game ran VERY high here in Minnesota.

By Tuesday, the football field had disappeared and a baseball diamond replaced it. There was a massive pile-up of fans outside the dome getting their will-call tickets.

Ironically, had this game been played outside (instead of the dome) it would have been called for rain, which was coming down in torrents during the game.

As it was - - - it went on uninterrupted all the way to the 12th inning. This was the last baseball game that the Twins will ever play at the Dome.

Next year the new Twins ball park is supposed to open. No Dome, no roof, no nothing to protect from the "elements" up here.

Baseball is nice outside, and the new ball park is configured for the sport (unlike the Dome), but the weather here is too finicky to ignore a roof for major league sports.

twinspark.jpg

Anyway, enough about the Dome. Speculation and discussion (up here) is running rampant,

about whether this team is as good as the 87 or 91 teams who took the Series.

The Twins went into the last couple of days two games down, and came out on top. Perhaps they can continue, and perhaps not. We'll see, eh? ;)

(edited to add a picture of the new Twins Ballpark)

Edited by dmiller

the NY pressure on the Yankees is there EVERY year-I hate it myself, but they have won a few championships despite it. We'll see soon enough this year.

Looking forward to the Twins getting out of the dome. They did play outside for years before, and the climate hasn't changed that much , has it ? Is it me, or is that drawing of the Twins new park reminiscent of their old park-it certainly doesn't look like the Camden Yards style used so often of late.

Good luck to everyone and their teams. Some of us will be happy, and some of us won't. It's only a game, by the way.

the NY pressure on the Yankees is there EVERY year-I hate it myself, but they have won a few championships despite it. We'll see soon enough this year.

Looking forward to the Twins getting out of the dome. They did play outside for years before, and the climate hasn't changed that much , has it ? Is it me, or is that drawing of the Twins new park reminiscent of their old park-it certainly doesn't look like the Camden Yards style used so often of late.

Good luck to everyone and their teams. Some of us will be happy, and some of us won't. It's only a game, by the way.

Good question, Andy. :) Yes, they used to play outside. Not sure if the climate has changed that much (over these years - - - but RumRunner might disagree!) :biglaugh:

The thing about the weather (and open air baseball) up here is, lot's of folks make plans for a certain weekend,

to go and see a game and will travel great distances to see it.

I've gone to two or three Twins games (planned in advance to take the folks who live at the group home I work at),

and we traveled 175 miles (one way) to see the game.

One of those games would have been cancelled due to rain, if it hadn't ben for the Dome. When we left Duluth, the weather was fine in Minneapolis.

When we got there, it was raining cats and dogs and the game would've been called for rain (if not for the Dome), and our trip would have been for nought.

That's a typical story about folks (such as myself) who travel from "out-state" Minnesota to the big city to see a Twins game once or twice a season.

Another aspect up here is the temperature. In the early season and in the late season, it's downright COLD here.

Can't imagine sitting out in COLD weather for 9 innings. :o

When we did get down to the Dome to see a game or two, I will admit that I "lost the ball" myself when it reached towards the roof of the Dome.

Perhaps the interior of the Dome could be a different color than white. That makes sense to me, but so does a roof over major league sports here in Minnesota. :)

(edited for spelling) :doh:

Edited by dmiller

I spent many an evening watching the Yanks play the Twins in old Metropolitan Stadium ,growing up. That pic , plus Harmon Killebrew, gets me right in the nostalgia.

Jeter starting the playoffs off right-game still has a long ways to go though.

THANKS MSTAR for the pure maple syrup !! Found it on my stoop when I came home, and couldn't resist trying it out (with a frozen waffle, but I couldn't wait). I very much appreciate a touch of New England.

Darn I should have sent you some autumn leaves in the package now that I think of it....Its been astounding here...

I have no idea how they play under that white roof at the Metrodome. It seems like at least once or twice a year (and I only see a game or two from there ) an outfielder is standing around with that "Duh" look on his face and he doesnt move as the ball lands fifty feet away...

Dave has a point, Ive sat in too many games in freezing rain myself or driven the same as he to be rained out..We'll see how it works out next year for them...are the Vikes playing at the new place as well?

Speaking of Killebrew...I was a Zoilo Versailles/Cesar Tovar fan..and also like watching perhaps the worst major league hitter I have ever watched...Dean Chance, but he sure could pitch.

I missed most of the Twins/Yanks game today...I had forgotten what a sedative Chip Caray is as an announcer and fell asleep...Dodgers are ahead of the Cards now...

I may as well get used to it, with west coast games and weird start times my sleep is going to be screwed up for at least a month now....Thanks Bud

After watching those Twinkies battle back against the Tigers. . . . excellent, exciting baseball. . . . watching the Yankees toy with the Twins was painful. . . . I shut it off. . .

I have been to the Dome. . . . for the spectator it is great. . . I will miss it. . . no matter where you sit it is so intimate. . . but, with that white ceiling it is a real home team advantage. The players really do stand there looking up and can't see the ball. . . too funny to watch their expressions.

Told ya it would come down to the one game playoff. . . . I knew the Twins would pull it off. . . they have some excellent players and a great organization. Gardenhirer is a good manager. He knows his players.

A few more games at the Dome.

Speaking of freezing rain.... the Rockies did their job and got one of two at Philly even with the weird start time Hamels whined about. Now the series comes to Denver which has been having wonderful weather this week. A beautiful 73 on Wednesday. howsomeever........

The game on Saturday has a forecast high of 36 with snow, and Sunday is 48 with rain. It is unfortunate to have the game distracted by the weather, but then Game one in Philly had an awful wind moving the fly balls and dust blowing in the pitcher's and batter's faces. Oh well, both teams suffer the same conditions each game.

I think both these teams match up well and it will be interesting to see the gameday adjustments by the managers for the weather. Since taking over in May with the Rockies at 18-28, Manager Jim Tracy has managed his talent well, game by game. The team wound up the regular season at 92-70. Tracy should certainly be strongly considered for NL manager of the year.

Edited by HAPe4me

E-v-e-r-y morning we have to watch ESPN or ESPN2 before the boy goes to school. Mike, the skinnier one, was doggin on the Twins so bad. (You can tell I have a teenage boy when I use the word doggin)

I always pull for the underdog. I do hope the Twins reach inside themselves and call on everything they are and have. They didn't get this far on nothin'.

well, they postponed games 3 and 4 here in Denver by one day due to the icebox weather today. Probably just as well. 25 degree temps or less are not condusive to a good game. It would have been the coldest game in MLB history and then there was the good possibility of icy rain which could cause injuries that would affect the outcome of the rest of the games for either team.

:realmad::asdf: Papelbon... :asdf: ... :CUSSING: ..

....I guess i should congratulate the LAA'a they were the better team although Im still ticked Papelbon killed the ninth last best only hope...that was painful to watch.......the Ang's may be the team of destiny with Nick Adenhart playing within them.....if not quite playing 'inspired' (maybe) they certainly played tight, well and clutch.

:CUSSING::asdf::asdf: (walking Figgins in the 9th..)

:realmad:

The Angels are good....... but.....I think its gonna be an old fashioned Dodgers/Yankees year...good subtext with Torre. mountains of history ( Larsen, Jackie Robinson, Joe D highlights coming up...) the network will love it-It will pull in the sometime fans , it will be great for Hiway -I hope it goes 7 extra innings....

Im gonna have to adjust to this......Im in denial

Edited by mstar1

Mstar,

I feel your pain brother. . . I really do. :( To top it off. . . I have had to watch the Yankees humiliate the Twins. . . . it is just a game. . . . it is just a game. . . . it is just a game. . . . nope.

. . . . . . . . not working. :wacko:

((((((Geisha))))))) Its alright, I'll be fine..... Its just too soon to look into the cold dark winter just yet......but necessary i guess.

Its sort of annual ritual..I have to quote Bart right now((LINK)

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.

**sigh**

Just a reminder that Yogi knows all-it ain't over till it's over. After hearing John Kruk's analysis, I was almost convinced the Sox have the Angels right where they want them. Of course anything can happen, and the Yanks could still blow it-it has happened, and can happen again.

The comeback in game 2 was just like 'old times' though. I suspected Arod would not fold this year, and for once I was right about something.

The Dodgers looking good, but who knows what woulda happened without Holliday's crotch getting in the way of that catch. Baseball is endlessly amazing in the way fortunes turn on a moment.

Yankees -Dodgers works for me-though that's a looong way off. Of course I have to root Yankees, but it's strange living out here, and Dodger Stadium my 'second home'.

It's all still anybody's (but the Cardinals) game. They should issue parkas for Colorado ball, though.